shorts in dining room

shelli0729

Well I guess I will have to tell Pastor Jack that he is dressed innappropriately tommorrow:rolleyes: Too friggin funny!

This has nothing to do with what is appropriate at all it has all to do with what you feel is appropriate;) Two different animals........

See you wouldn't even want to attend our church because you would feel out of place because you would think everyone was dressed inappropriately:D

At my church we all wear jeans and drink coffee. Makes everyone feel comfortable.

I still belive this all goes back to what part of the US you live in

People from up north and larger cities seem to think wearing

shorts is not right , Most southerner's and mid western'ers

and peoplr from smaller towns are ok with it , More laid back

It's OK with Carnival , I wear shorts every night ,

Business casual?? LOL Shorts at business's are normal in the south

It's not a thread. It's a vortex.[/quote

It's not a thread. It's close to a vortex. But it is actually a rope made of words used to fashion nooses for people to hang themselves with.

And I must say, there are so many who have done an excellent job of it!

Keep up the good work! And by all means, keep smiling. :D

whats the big deal if they are wearing shorts? Does it make your food taste different?? Heck, once the person with shorts on sits down at the table and slides underneath...guess what, you can't tell what kind of pants they have on! Same goes with shoes, they stay under the table, so whats the big deal??

Just like at our homes,where we can ask you to leave if we do not feel you are dressed appropriately, the maitre 'd can turn anyone away he does not feel is dressed for his dining room.

I just got off the dream where a guy tried to enter the mdr on casual night in cut off shorts and a tee shirt, he was asked to leave.:eek:

I leave it up to the maitre 'd . If you feel he is too lax tell customer service.

Did it ever occur to anyone that some people may choose to wear shorts on the non formal nights to be comfortable? After all if you are cruising in the caribbian in May it gets hot. Also with all of the luggage restrictions on the airlines, the ability to pack dress clothes for 7 nights of dining, along with attire for the rest of the cruise, and anything else you might need gets a little bit difficult. I applaud Carnival for allowing nice shorts in the dining room on non formal nights, after all it IS a vacation. All of you people that are offended by the relaxed dress code on non formal nights should just go someplace else.

Damn Yankees. Red Sox, too. :p

At my church we all wear jeans and drink coffee. Makes everyone feel comfortable.

We also get free donuts, although there is a donation box next to them. ;) A number of people ride Harleys :eek:.

Even in my summer camp youth, they would bus us to various Churches, Synagogues, etc. wearing our shorts and t-shirts. There were no fashion police judging us. Many locals were dressed better; some weren't. As I recall, all were delighted to see and welcome us. :)

We also get free donuts, although there is a donation box next to them. ;) A number of people ride Harleys :eek:.

Even in my summer camp youth, they would bus us to various Churches, Synagogues, etc. wearing our shorts and t-shirts. There were no fashion police judging us. Many locals were dressed better; some weren't. As I recall, all were delighted to see and welcome us. :)

There should be more churches like that. I don't think God cares what we wear to church, whether it be a dress for women and a suit for men, or jeans, or shorts and tops and sandals. It's what's in your heart that is important, not the clothing you're wearing.

I'm ashamed to say I have a relative who used to be a Baptist minister years ago in some little town in Florida and he "wouldn't allow" women in his congregation to attend church services in slacks. I'm not talking jeans or shorts, I'm talking dress slacks with a nice shirt/top. I just wanted to ask him who gave him the right to judge and make that decision? I met up with him again a couple of years ago and I was polite to him, but that was all. I don't like him. :(

And as far as clothing on cruises, I couldn't care less what other people are wearing. It's not my place to judge them. I worry about myself, and let others worry about themselves in turn.

(Edited.) ".... I applaud Carnival for allowing nice shorts in the dining room on non formal nights, after all it IS a vacation....." quote]

Well, that pretty much says it all. Hard to rebut that argument. No rules, suggestions, recommendations, guidelines, requests, etc., etc. Really, after all, it is a vacation.

The answer was on page one...

I wear shorts on non-elegant nights and a suit on the elegant nights. Both of those are well within the cruise line guidelines driven by popular wish of the passenger.

When I wear the suit I go back to the cabin after dinner and change to shorts. Then I leave my

"Pants on the Ground"

Since Carnival's policy allows shorts, then that's that. I can either choose to live with it, or find another cruise line. I understand that.

Call me old school, but I don't like it. I don't like that the "special" atmosphere usually found in the MDR is being eroded. For most of us, the way we eat at home is not nearly as nice as on a cruise. The food quality is still pretty good right now, but what happens if we all start dressing as casually as we want in the MDR? If our dress indicates to the cruise line that our clothing preferences are nothing special, then what's to stop them from making the food and service nothing special? If we indicate to the the cruise line that we have low expectations by the way we present ourselves, then we can all expect the cruise line to stop caring how it presents itself, if that makes sense.

Don't get me wrong; I understand what Carnival is. I've sailed on Carnival a couple times in the past and I understand that it's not supposed to be as fancy as some of the other lines. I'm OK with that because I had a good time. But, I'm concerned that the "special" experience in the MDR will eventually become nothing special because we're driving the policy change by dressing as casually as we can. The cruise line will give us what we want. Why can't we want more?

This.

Ummm, no, but keep up your delusions of sectional strife. :rolleyes:

Business casual is *NOT* shorts when you work in a formal work environment such as the financial sector. Business casual is the suit without the jacket or tie in the winter, dress pants and a nice golf shirt or button down. Casual is jeans and a polo or button down. Summer casual doesn't exist as you no one wants to expose their clients to the knobby knees and cankles of the office. Hell, there is still a great debate going on as to whether or not women's capris are kosher. (Men's aren't, much to the disappointment of some of my European friends.)

And it has nothing to do with what section of the country you live in and everything to do with what industry you work in. My co-workers in Toronto, Plano, San Diego, Chicago and Atlanta all adhere to the same dress code.

That said, I'm not sure why people are getting so bent over what other people are wearing. They should concentrate on the menu in front of them.

WOW...No, no "troll" posted this "legit" question, I'm just a single mom trying to take my two boys on a nice vacation to celebrate graduations. Money is tight and I'm just trying to avoid the extra expenses of buying everyone new clothes for a trip to the MDR. I will certainly avoid the MDR on elegent/formal night, I really don't care if anyone is offended by my young adult (18 and 21) sons' appearance on any other night. They are both good looking boys and always look presentable and yes, they will be in shorts. Thank you (kind) folks who gave me a legit answer to my questions and for some of you I'm thankful that you won't be on the same ship as myself due to your negative, "holier than though" attitudes. Thanks Carol1560 you said it...you are not supposed to JUDGE. Thanks Vianky5 who said "Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.”

Just curious - an no insult/prying intended - but do you got to church/place of worship? Did you as a child? Did you wear whatever you wanted? Or did mom/dad say, "please put on your nice pants and new shirt - today is church."

If you want to call that being told, it is no different than anything else we parents do when we direct our kids...they learn by being told what is and what isn't appropriate.

I assume you would agree with me that there are times and places for certain clothing - for example, you would not wear jeans to a 6 pm candlelight church wedding? And you wouldn't wear a tux to the beach? These are obvious. So what we are really disagreeing over here is whether a more subtle distinction can/should be made. For example, there is a time and place for business casual - but court, appearing before a judge is not it. I simply feel that the MDR warrants business casual, you do not.[/quote]

I used to go to Surfer's Church, where we wore swimtrunks to service. When service was over, we all went surfing, every Sunday.

You may feel the MDR warrants business casual, I do not---and neither does Carnival.

I plan on putting my 5 year old son in a pair of dress shorts and a polo shirt every night except formal night in which he will be wearing khaki pants and a dress shirt. I don't think I should have to buy 5 pairs of pants to wear to a dining room when shorts are allowed.

I plan on putting my 5 year old son in a pair of dress shorts and a polo shirt every night except formal night in which he will be wearing khaki pants and a dress shirt. I don't think I should have to buy 5 pairs of pants to wear to a dining room when shorts are allowed.

You shouldn't. ;) (And even if they *were*, you still shouldn't. Two pairs, worn in rotation and changed out of immediately after the meal would suffice.) Have a great time and don't mind the dress code haters on here. They have no power to keep you from eating in the MDR. If they have a problem with you or your boy, they can look at something else.

You shouldn't. ;) (And even if they *were*, you still shouldn't. Two pairs, worn in rotation and changed out of immediately after the meal would suffice.) Have a great time and don't mind the dress code haters on here. They have no power to keep you from eating in the MDR. If they have a problem with you or your boy, they can look at something else.

Believe me, with my son I would have to bring that many pairs. I can't remember the last time he ate when he didn't have food on his clothes when he finished. :D

Archived