shorts in dining room

shelli0729

I will be on the April 4th Valor Cruise...

I will be wearing Dress Shorts & Collared shirts to every dinner in the MDR with the exception of the Dress up Night(s).....

So if you don't want to see me abiding by the regulations, please do eat somewhere else on those nights...

Dress up nights I will be elsewhere as It is my vacation and I am choosing to go casual, more then likely out at the pool chillin, stop by and say hello!

That is one of the main reasons that many school systems have moved to uniforms - it produces results.

( real world alert )

actually is because kids were carring weapons & dope in there baggie clothing .

I think the other reason some schools went to uniforms was to remove the other kids ability to judge and condemn some of the students that may not be as well off financially as the the other students. If everyone is in uniform, then nobody can really tell the "rich kids" from the not so rich kids. Thus removing the horrible judging that goes on in the schools. The same judging that sadly enough seems to be going on in this thread. People condemning other people for wearing shorts on non formal nights in the dining room. That is a little bit like highschool if you think about it. It is pretty sad that people have such low self esteem that they have to put people down for dressing in what makes them comfortable, even when it is well within Carnival's guidelines.

( real world alert )

actually is because kids were carring weapons & dope in there baggie clothing .

Not to say it's not happening in my neck of the woods, but our school district actually went to uniforms to level the playingfield between the more affluent kids and the less affluent kids. Also, to instill a sense of discipline that many kids are lacking. And lastly, to keep kids from stealing other kid's expensive hoodies, etc.

FWIW, it only works to a certain degree. If it's not clothes, it's shoes/sneakers or handbags, with girls or jewellry, or expensive electronics ... (13 years of Catholic education ... you'd be surprised how cruel the words "Your mom shops at Payless can be ...)

Wow! What's with the attitudes! :mad: My DH and I are going on our 1st cruise this Nov. Thank-you to everyone kind enough to give helpful advice. For thos of you on you highhorse with your holier than tho attitudes, try jumping off that horse and stepping into reality. If you'd stop putting on airs for five minutes you might enjoy life a little better. I'm pretty sure the queen of England won't be sailing with us so you can lighten up. Again thank-you to everyone else.

why am i not surprised that this subject bothers some people so much. It is like booze and smoking threads it accomplishes nothing except to expose people prejudices. Ignoring the fact that shorts are allowed in the mdr on all but elegants nights. I don't see the big deal, if someone does not want to wear them they don't have too. If they do, go for it.

amen!!!!

Wow! What's with the attitudes! :mad: My DH and I are going on our 1st cruise this Nov. Thank-you to everyone kind enough to give helpful advice. For thos of you on you highhorse with your holier than tho attitudes, try jumping off that horse and stepping into reality. If you'd stop putting on airs for five minutes you might enjoy life a little better. I'm pretty sure the queen of England won't be sailing with us so you can lighten up. Again thank-you to everyone else.

Who set your shorts on fire:D

Well said!!!

Ok I'm the great dresscodeguraie.

all I'm going to do is put this thought in your brain.

Have You Ever Seen Your Body With Out Clothes On ?

Far real, take your clothes off go in the bath room and just look at what you are putting us through. Ruff stuff.

Ok, now look at your feet, toes, heel. Your doing it again. Making us look at that mess . Bent toes, curved, scars, wrinkles, bad skin. And the toe nails, just look. And toes that don't fit in your flips. They hang over the front edge.

Please cover up that body just out of plain respect.

God gave you that body, and enough since to cover it up.

We could care less if someone was wearing pasties and a thong in the MDR....our food will still taste the same and wouldn't cause us to change tables. Besides, it would make for interesting dinner conversation. :D

What DOES bother us is when someone does not realize that a bottle of perfume or cologne should last for more that 10 applications. If you leave the room so should your smell. :eek:

When I was a first-time cruiser I believe I at least waited until the cruise was over until I spouted my vast knowledge of the "reality" of cruising, desired cruising attire, and the passengers therein involved.

Rookie know-it-alls.... Bless their hearts. :rolleyes:

WOW...No, no "troll" posted this "legit" question, I'm just a single mom trying to take my two boys on a nice vacation to celebrate graduations. Money is tight and I'm just trying to avoid the extra expenses of buying everyone new clothes for a trip to the MDR. I will certainly avoid the MDR on elegent/formal night, I really don't care if anyone is offended by my young adult (18 and 21) sons' appearance on any other night. They are both good looking boys and always look presentable and yes, they will be in shorts. Thank you (kind) folks who gave me a legit answer to my questions and for some of you I'm thankful that you won't be on the same ship as myself due to your negative, "holier than though" attitudes. Thanks Carol1560 you said it...you are not supposed to JUDGE. Thanks Vianky5 who said "Judgements prevent us from seeing the good that lies beyond appearances.”

Wear them shorts!!! No one at Carnival cares, only some posters on CC do.

I've seen this type of thread come and go a thousand times, and I've really been good lately at not getting involved, but the situation seems to be getting worse.

The majority of the passengers on a cruise dress properly and are respectful of the ambience the cruise line is hoping to achieve. The cruise lines have bent their "rules" lately because of economic situations and the exigencies of accommodating people with less class and a challenged sense of social conventions and niceties. This does not mean they approve of seeing their product cheapened and diminished, it just means that they have decided to tolerate the selfish and ignorant somewhat-lower class "Me, Me, Me" mentality to be able to continue (in the current economic climate) in business.

For the newcomers to cruising, the people who advise you to wear whatever you want and to adhere to the crassest minimum of being allowed into the dining room are a large minority; but, as with most uncouth persons, they are extremely vocal and loud in demanding that everyone adhere to their attempts to convert the once-sophisticated and beloved aura of sea cruises into an embodiment of McDonald's, Big Lots and the Dollar Store.

I truly wish someone with come up with a Lower Slobbovian Cruise Line which could accommodate all of these yahoos and restore cruising to the elegant and special experience it once was.

The majority of the passengers on a cruise dress properly and are respectful of the ambience the cruise line is hoping to achieve. The cruise lines have bent their "rules" lately because of economic situations and the exigencies of accommodating people with less class and a challenged sense of social conventions and niceties. This does not mean they approve of seeing their product cheapened and diminished' date=' it just means that they have decided to tolerate the selfish and ignorant somewhat-lower class "Me, Me, Me" mentality to be able to continue (in the current economic climate) in business.

For the newcomers to cruising, the people who advise you to wear whatever you want and to adhere to the crassest minimum of being allowed into the dining room are a large minority; but, as with most uncouth persons, they are extremely vocal and loud in demanding that everyone adhere to [i']their [/i]attempts to convert the once-sophisticated and beloved aura of sea cruises into an embodiment of McDonald's, Big Lots and the Dollar Store.

I truly wish someone with come up with a Lower Slobbovian Cruise Line which could accommodate all of these yahoos and restore cruising to the elegant and special experience it once was.

It's the will of the people... rules were never bent. A company changed their policies to meet demand.

The suggestions here are to abide by the rules, and those permit shorts.

Wear your nice attire, just get over the fact those in shorts are within the rules/guidelines as well... ya gotta let it go.

I've seen this type of thread come and go a thousand times' date=' and I've really been good lately at not getting involved, but the situation seems to be getting worse.

The majority of the passengers on a cruise dress properly and are respectful of the ambience the cruise line is hoping to achieve. The cruise lines have bent their "rules" lately because of economic situations and the exigencies of accommodating people with less class and a challenged sense of social conventions and niceties. This does not mean they approve of seeing their product cheapened and diminished, it just means that they have decided to tolerate the selfish and ignorant somewhat-lower class "Me, Me, Me" mentality to be able to continue (in the current economic climate) in business.

For the newcomers to cruising, the people who advise you to wear whatever you want and to adhere to the crassest minimum of being allowed into the dining room are a large minority; but, as with most uncouth persons, they are extremely vocal and loud in demanding that everyone adhere to [i']their [/i]attempts to convert the once-sophisticated and beloved aura of sea cruises into an embodiment of McDonald's, Big Lots and the Dollar Store.

They did it's called Carnival (not that I would call it a Lower Slobbovian Cruise Line - those are your words). Carnival is catering to the people who wish to have a more casual atmosphere. If you don't like it, go on HAL so you can have the "elegant and special experience" you desire.

A quote from Carnival's website -

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

So, if you want to look like a slob - go to the buffet on Lido.

A quote from Carnival's website -

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

So, if you want to look like a slob - go to the buffet on Lido.

How convenient for you to leave out the part where long shorts are permitted. You will see us in the MDR, not the buffet, for dinner with our long dressier shorts on (except for cruise elegant night when we will be wearing dresses, dress pants and shirts.)

Exactly. Just because they now allow dress shorts in to keep Bubba fed,
the dress code for my children starts with me.

We never wear shorts in the evening. And this suits US fine.

I like your style (and your parenting skills)!

Christ on a feckin' cracker....y'all are still at it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and state I believe fully that I can look just as nice in a pair of shorts as many people in their elegant night clothing but call me a slob if you must....

Kat your info is out dated honey child.

WeAreCruising- try Cunard.

I've seen this type of thread come and go a thousand times' date=' and I've really been good lately at not getting involved, but the situation seems to be getting worse.

I'm so glad that my preference to be comfortable has been whittled down into a "LOL UR WHITE TRASH/POOR" post by some ***** on the internet.

:eek:

I look at it this way...Carnival has a Maitre D who is in charge of the dining room. It's HIS duty to decide what is, or is not acceptable. I don't get involved....:rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more! ;)

Archived