shorts in dining room

shelli0729

No one has mentioned the dining room staff. I think they go to a lot of trouble to make our dining experience special. Most come from cultures that tend to dress much better than most N. Americans for special occasions. I would think they appreciate our efforts to look nice at night!

No one has mentioned the dining room staff. I think they go to a lot of trouble to make our dining experience special. Most come from cultures that tend to dress much better than most N. Americans for special occasions. I would think they appreciate our efforts to look nice at night!

They do:confused:

Sweetie, I always look nice! I don't care about the servers opinion of my dress when I am on land and certainly don't require their approval on a ship.

I'm betting that I rock my city shorts better than most of the folks dressing up each evening...however I have the manners not to comment on that!:eek:

"No one has mentioned the dining room staff. I think they go to a lot of trouble to make our dining experience special. Most come from cultures that tend to dress much better than most N. Americans for special occasions. I would think they appreciate our efforts to look nice at night!"

Well, this is what I have uppermost in my mind when I'm cruising. Must impress the dining room staff. Not!

By following the cruise line's suggested dress, you are being respectful of the staff and other passengers. When you book Carnival or any other line, you should be aware of their guidelines and dress accordingly. If you want "elegant" dress each night, then book a cruise line with this dress guideline.

I'm leaving tomorrow for Florida to sail on the Sensation Sunday. I'm not letting shorts or no shorts bother me. :)

Just because you feel you are a Walmart shopper, doesn't mean all the rest of us are. It might surprise you to know that there are some educated people onboard, as well as those uneducated by schooling, but have learned good taste. Shorts are fine for casual night, but not with a tee shirt and a baseball hat, but on elegant night, it's long pants and a nice shirt.

Sorry if this is too much for you to understand. I find your attitude unbelievable, but then again, I'm sure you don't care.

So now if you shop at Walmart your uneducated. Talk about discrimating. Why not blanket statement races also.

I have a question for the fashion police. If my wife and I are already seated at a table for 8 , we are the first ones there and you come and sit down and we say hi and introduce ourselves. You notice i am wearing a regular collared shirt and think nothing of it. After dinner when we stand up you notice i have shorts on(you couldn't see them earlier as legs were under table), what happens?

a) you become violently ill that I wore shorts and ruined your ambiance? even though you really liked me before you knew I had shorts on?

b) You run to the maitrd and protest loudly?

C) You throw up and vow to never sail Carnival again

D) It didn't matter as we had a great dinner and a fun time.

C, totally C.

Just off the Triumph. We saw a few men wearing suits on Cruise Casual nights. What is up with that? They shouldn't of been let into the dining room because they were not following the posted dress codes. Talk about disrespect! Guess they didn't learn any manners when they were young.

And if you read my othere posts, I have clearly indicated that it does not bother me and I don't need another cruise line. I merely ask the question that just because something is allowed, does that mean you should do it?

In my world - just cause I can doesn't mean I should. That was the only point of my posts.

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to post. I couldn't care less what others do. I can't control for that, and I wouldn't want to. However, I do care what I do. IMHO, dressing nicely is a sign of respect to my tablemates in a situation like that. The wait staff are dressed up, the dining rooms are nicely decorated, and the food doesn't consist of hot dogs and pizza. Therefore, I don't think it's too formal for me to put on some slacks and a collared shirt. There are nights when I don't feel like doing that, and, on those nights, I eat somewhere else.

Can you wear shorts in the dining room? Sure you can. Will doing that ruin my dinner? Not at all. Will I? No. I can, but I choose not to because I don't feel it's appropriate for me. That's all.

what's the big deal about what everyone wears ???

the last cruise I as on ( Sept 2009 ) there were guys there with

cut off jeans ... and it did not stop me from eating

and I still enjoyed my meal...

and I wear dress shorts to every meal except formal night..

it's a vacation.. everyone chill out... and enjoy..:)

You are right they are allowed, but does it follow that you should? My boys (12 and 6 soon) wear kakhi pants and a collared shirt. This isn't Chili's or Applebees...it is a nice dining experience. They are required to wear pants and collared shirts to school, I don't think it is too much to ask them to wear it for dinner.

Now what the dress code really needs to comment on is hats - since when did men decide that it was appropriate to wear a baseball hat to dinner?

who is "they".... and only private schools require that.

Give me a break. They sing tacky songs and dance on the tables. I'm sure they don't care what we are wearing.

I shall make the matre d' earn his money.

I hope you plan on asking for a different table because the only time he would say anything is if the shorts are worn on elegant night or they are cut off or swim trunks. Have fun with that!:D

Archived