Mexico Sea Turtle Project Where & Month?

oceanbabe

Going on the Mariner in November to Mexican Riviera. Would love to see whales, know iffy at that time. How about programs that help new baby turtles survive? Dont know if anyone has done this and usually during what month/port? Thank you, elaine

We were on the Splendor the last week in Oct. '09. We booked our turtle excursion thru Johan and Sandra. Fabulous! We met with Fernando (spoke english VERY well) at his dive shop. Walked to the shop after doing the los Veranos zips. About 6-7 blocks. He drove us to an alligator rescue farm for a short video and a soda. VERY knowledgable about all the critters we saw- I think he is a biologist of some sort (cute, too). Then off to the beach. Everything is timed to arrive at the beach just at sunset. He took us to the turtle rescue hut to pick up the babies. I had thought we each would be 'releasing' a turtle or two- but he gathered about 300 of them in a large pail! We went on down the beach and just as the sun was setting we started to let them go. It took us about 20 minutes (there were 4 of us) to get them on their way. My teens LOVED it. Great memories. Ranks up there with Stingray City in Grand Cayman. Then he dropped us off at the ship. Do it, do it, do it.

I don't know about November but I was just on the website for the Dreams resort in PV and they list this. I am wondering if we can take part in it as cruise passengers on a day pass to the resort cause I know my children (and I) would LOVE it!

Take part in the Dreaming of Freedom Turtle Program!

Now through the fall, mother Caray Green Sea Turtles will visit the beach to lay their eggs. You can have the opportunity to take part in the daily turtle release event, by holding a tiny baby turtle in the palm of your hand and interacting with it before setting it free into the sea!

Dreams Resorts & Spas takes every measure to ensure the continued safety and protection of the turtles through involvement with local protection agencies.

Archived