Coba - Tulumn - Akumal in one day?

jkoch

Our first cruise and so much to do - can't wait!!! We have one a day stop in Calica March 25th, doable between 7am-5pm. We have plans for a rental car, is the following doable?

Stop 1: Coba – love the idea of hiking and climbing the pyramid

Stop 2: Tulum – read it is worth the stop

Stop 3: Akumal (Yal-ku Lagoon) - swimming with the turtles hard to beat

Our first cruise and so much to do - can't wait!!! We have one a day stop in Calica March 25th, doable between 7am-5pm. We have plans for a rental car, is the following doable?

I suppose it's possible to do it in the one day but not sure I'd try it. Your day is more likely going to be an 8-4 period. By time you get off the ship and spend the time at the car rental you probably won't head out until at least 8:00 and you will want to plan on getting back to the port by 4:00 just to play it safe. It might take you about 30 minutes to get to Tulum with a planned stay of at least 1 hour from when you park your car until you get back to it. The drive to Coba then could be about 40-45 minutes with a stay for probably 2 hours if you don't really rush through it. Then of course you have the long drive back towards Playa. I've never stopped at Akumal but from friends I'm told it's beautiful there but I'm not sure how much time it would take for what you want to to. Doing all three things in one day is probably stretching it a bit. Tulum is an interesting ruin site that is popular because of the beautiful location and the convienence of the location since it's just a straight drive from Playa del Carmen. IMO Coba is a much more interesting site with much more impressive structures,but it takes much more time to see because it's spread out through the jungle. If you do Coba you could skip Tulum and do the Akumal swim if that swim is important to you or you could skip Coba and do Tulum and the swim and not be rushed for time.

Thanks for the advice - just the kind of info we are looking for! Our style would be to lean more towards the Coba & Akumal - and save Tulum for the next time.

Any ideas on how to make the most of a DIY trip to Coba?

Any ideas on how to make the most of a DIY trip to Coba?

You have your choice on how you want to experience it. You can just walk it on you own,they should give you a map. You can rent a bike if you want also. There probably will also be some people there that will offer to give you a tour on foot and some history for a fee,that's what we chose. The other choice is a bike taxi for two with someone peddling you around.

We always rent cars while in Playa so I will give you just a couple of tips. Don't speed because even though I've never had a problem I've heard of the police shakedown for a bribe before. Nothing to be concerned about but why give them the opportunity.

While on the road from Tulum to Coba there will be some topes( speed bumps),they are quite large so go easy.

When on the highways,if someone looks like they want to pass you it is your job to pull over a little to the right because people will pass sometimes with even with oncoming traffic.

I have done this the last 2 times I was there. We had hired a driver both times so the "knew" the speed limit. Last Aug. Tulum>Gran Cenote>Akumal (lunch and turtle snorkel). Last Jan. Coba>Cenote Cho-Ha(nr Coba), lunch at road side taco stand (incredible fed 5 for 120mxn)>Ya-Kul Lagoon (1/2 hour there).

If you want to see your list here is my suggestions from my experience. Read what you can on Tulum and Coba so you can relate to what is there without reading it there. Go to Coba 1st thing. Rent Bikes and ride directly to the pyramid. Then see the rest on your way out. Go to Tulum go directly to the beach (the best part) then work your way back to the front. Go to Akumal enjoy!

Our Coba day was little fast paced and our Tulum day was relaxed.

One good story, We were the 1st ones to the Coba pyramid, when we arrived a dog came down from the top, very friendly but strange. We made it to the top alone but then came the people by the dozens.

We love it there and are planning on spending a week there this summer.

• 1 month later...

Actually, if you are only in Playa for one day, it is not possible to do all 3. I would not miss Akumal. It is the absolute most beautiful place I have ever seen. Just amazing. The snorkling is outstanding. Tulum is also amazing, but again, it depends on what kind of day you are looking for. Relaxing, or more sight seeing?

I have been to the area several times and don't recommend renting a car. We take a collectivo when down there. They are inexpesive and a great way to get around. Go to Akumal Bay in the morning before other groups arrive. This doesn't get that crowded. This is one of our favorite places of all time - including Hawaii. Tulum is nearby, but I don't know how much time you want to spend looking at the ruins. The walk from El Parisso Beach to Tulum isn't too bad. It was better than I expected.

• 2 weeks later...

Akumal and Yal-Ku are two different places. Akumal has the reef and the turtles. Yal-Ku is the calm lagoon with a few fish ... that one though nice, if pressed for time, is skip-able in my opinion.

I would just spend the day at Akumal Bay. There weren't chairs to rent, but you didn't need them. Just put your towel under a tree. In my opinion this place should not be missed. However, I do understand the desire to see ruins. Tulum now has a night tour, but you probably won't be in port at that time. The shops at Tulum were the most expensive in the entire region (Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen).

Archived