Weather & Water temps

beachbuddy

Hi,

I have never been to Bermuda and we're thinking of going May 13th so we'll be there on the 15th and 16th of May. I'm a little concerned that the water will still be to cold, can anyone tell me what to expect as far as the weather and water temps.

Appreciate any information. Also, where is the best place to go for snorkeling?

:) The beach is warm and beautiful...the water a little chilly. We have been to Bermuda twice. Both in May and have yet to go in the water. We are going in June this year and hoping for the best. GREAT Island. Have a blast. Do not do the excursions. (rip off). You can do everything on your own. Buy the bus/ferry pass on the ship. $12.00. You use it all day for the buses and ferrys that take you EVERYWHERE. You can also purchase the passes as soon as you get off the ship. Have a great time.:):)

:) The beach is warm and beautiful...the water a little chilly. We have been to Bermuda twice. Both in May and have yet to go in the water. We are going in June this year and hoping for the best. GREAT Island. Have a blast. Do not do the excursions. (rip off). You can do everything on your own. Buy the bus/ferry pass on the ship. $12.00. You use it all day for the buses and ferrys that take you EVERYWHERE. You can also purchase the passes as soon as you get off the ship. Have a great time.:):)

Thanks for the information. We love the water so not sure what to do now.

Hi,

I have never been to Bermuda and we're thinking of going May 13th so we'll be there on the 15th and 16th of May. I'm a little concerned that the water will still be to cold, can anyone tell me what to expect as far as the weather and water temps.

Appreciate any information. Also, where is the best place to go for snorkeling?

This is a good site to see what the temps have been over the past 12 or so years on any given day. I punched in May 14th as an example.

http://www.bermudaweather.bm/may14.asp

I heard there's a dockyard festival or something going on in the evening. Does anyone know if they do this in May?? If not, does anyone have a website that I can find out if they have this festival in May.

Thanks in advance..........

Patty

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the information. We love the water so not sure what to do now.

DH and I love the water as well, and we were in Bermuda at 9Beaches in late May of 2008. The weather was about mid 70's but totally overcast. We had brought our snorkel gear and were all set to snorkel all over the place, but the lack of sunshine deterred us. Finally we decided on our next-to-last day that it was "now or never" and we decided over breakfast to brave the chilly water and "just do it". We had brought our Aeroskins...which are fleece lined neoprene full length/long sleeved body suits that are actually designed for either warm water diving or, as we more frequently use them, to go under a Scuba wet suit. We found that just that little bit of insulation was perfect to allow us to get in the water. We just walked in off shore at Daniel's Head Island and in about ten feet of water saw amazingly beautiful fish and two sea turtles! We loved every minute of it, and we are SO glad we pushed ourselves to go in. We are from NH and typically dive water that is in the 60's, so water temps of 71 are still chilly but not at all impossible. Needless to say, we were not in as long as we'd like, but I'd say we easily spent about 90 minutes exploring the reef.

I've read that the Snorkel Park that is right at the Dockyard is free entry and has some man-made reef structures and supposedly has some pretty fish as well. I understand they rent gear there as well. We walked around the Dockyard and went and checked out the Snorkel park beach...it was acutally pretty busy (for such a lousy beach day) with beach-goers...there were not a lot of people in the water, but the heavy clouds overhead were probably more to blame than the water temperatures.

So, if you love the water, go as prepared as you can, and consider either bringing or renting a wet suit so that you're properly protected from exposure. Watch out for hypothermia!

Oh..and...ENJOY!!

DH and I love the water as well, and we were in Bermuda at 9Beaches in late May of 2008. The weather was about mid 70's but totally overcast. We had brought our snorkel gear and were all set to snorkel all over the place, but the lack of sunshine deterred us. Finally we decided on our next-to-last day that it was "now or never" and we decided over breakfast to brave the chilly water and "just do it". We had brought our Aeroskins...which are fleece lined neoprene full length/long sleeved body suits that are actually designed for either warm water diving or, as we more frequently use them, to go under a Scuba wet suit. We found that just that little bit of insulation was perfect to allow us to get in the water. We just walked in off shore at Daniel's Head Island and in about ten feet of water saw amazingly beautiful fish and two sea turtles! We loved every minute of it, and we are SO glad we pushed ourselves to go in. We are from NH and typically dive water that is in the 60's, so water temps of 71 are still chilly but not at all impossible. Needless to say, we were not in as long as we'd like, but I'd say we easily spent about 90 minutes exploring the reef.

I've read that the Snorkel Park that is right at the Dockyard is free entry and has some man-made reef structures and supposedly has some pretty fish as well. I understand they rent gear there as well. We walked around the Dockyard and went and checked out the Snorkel park beach...it was acutally pretty busy (for such a lousy beach day) with beach-goers...there were not a lot of people in the water, but the heavy clouds overhead were probably more to blame than the water temperatures.

So, if you love the water, go as prepared as you can, and consider either bringing or renting a wet suit so that you're properly protected from exposure. Watch out for hypothermia!

Oh..and...ENJOY!!

Oh no, is the water really going to be that cold?? I'm so used to the warm waters of the caribbean that I hope I'm not disappointed. Friends of mine told me that May is perfect for Bermuda so i guess I'll have to wait and see.

Now I don't know if we should even bother to bring our snorkel gear.

beachbuddy- Will you also be going to CocoCay and Nassau during your cruise? I noted that it is 76 degrees today in Nassau, so by mid-May it should be swimming weather in those two ports. We have been to CocoCay and Nassau in April and enjoyed swimming.

beachbuddy- Will you also be going to CocoCay and Nassau during your cruise? I noted that it is 76 degrees today in Nassau, so by mid-May it should be swimming weather in those two ports. We have been to CocoCay and Nassau in April and enjoyed swimming.

Yes we are going to CocoCay and Bahamas. Not worried about those ports because we've been to CocoCay in December before and the water was fine. It's just that I heard Bermuda is great for snorkeling and I originally had an April cruise booked but changed it to May so the weather would be a bit warmer. Oh well, if we can't go into the water I'm sure we'll be able to sit out on the beach.

Patty

Hi- We'll be in Bermuda on May 1- from the Explorer- so we're planning to wade in at Horseshoe Bay to test the water temp. Will report back. We're from Maine so it might seem ok to us!

Great!!! Be sure to report in when you get back. We're from NJ so we're used to cold water too. But really want it to be warmer than here...........LOL

I'm so used to the Caribbean waters which are wonderful!!

Patty

Great!!! Be sure to report in when you get back. We're from NJ so we're used to cold water too. But really want it to be warmer than here...........LOL

I'm so used to the Caribbean waters which are wonderful!!

Patty

Patty, I'll also be in Bermuda in early May and will report back. We were there in early May a couple of years ago and yes the water wasn't as warm as the Caribbean but still comfortable since we're used to the Jersey Shore in late June early July.

FYI, last year this time we were on a 14 day cruise in the Caribbean and the waters were not their usual warm. Locals were telling us because of the cold winter they had their water was freezing to them but to us just a little cool.

Bordentown, right down the road from us, I grew up in Bordentown many years ago.

Patty, I'll also be in Bermuda in early May and will report back. We were there in early May a couple of years ago and yes the water wasn't as warm as the Caribbean but still comfortable since we're used to the Jersey Shore in late June early July.

FYI, last year this time we were on a 14 day cruise in the Caribbean and the waters were not their usual warm. Locals were telling us because of the cold winter they had their water was freezing to them but to us just a little cool.

Bordentown, right down the road from us, I grew up in Bordentown many years ago.

Hi Deb,

Yep, Robbinsville is very close to us. We were on a 12 night cruise this time last year. Actually, it's exactly a year, we left March 15th............LOL The water was great on all the islands we went to. I think we were in the water the entire day in Barbados and Antiqua.......LOL

Hope you have a great cruise?

Patty

Patty, you too and we have a mutual friend. Carol from California.:D

OMG............you know Carol and Narce??? I love them!! We cruised with them twice - 2 twelve nighters. Actually, we were all on the Brilliance 11 night cruise at the same time too but we never met on that cruise. What cruise did you meet them on?

Well, time for bed......work tomorrow.

Patty

• 5 weeks later...
I heard there's a dockyard festival or something going on in the evening. Does anyone know if they do this in May?? If not, does anyone have a website that I can find out if they have this festival in May.

Thanks in advance..........

Patty

hello

http://www.bermudacommerce.com/events/dockyard.aspx

Every Monday night in Dockyard, 8pm until 10:30pm from May 31st to August 2nd.

:)

Archived