Europa passengers not being informed shame on Costa

thekidscometoo

Given that it's only Sunday at 4:16 pm as I write this, I offer that the reason many Canadians aren't aware of this is because of the Winter Olympics, todays closing ceremony and specifically, todays Hockey game.

Were it not for me being a lurker here, I wouldn't have known about this accident because I haven't read anything about it in newspapers or on TV, which as I mentioned - all seem to be preoccupied with todays Olympic events.

I have not seen it on the news or in the newspapers here in NYC. Unless you read cruise

news or visit cruise sites you are not aware. Being Canadian or watching the Olymipcs is not a good excuss for the OPs rants.

Being Canadian or watching the Olymipcs is not a good excuss for the OPs rants.

Never said it was.

Nor was OPs "rant" an excuse for some of the vitriol flung at them. (Qualifications out of a cereal box)?

My point, in answer to someone in the UK, was that it was not Sunday night in Canada when they thought it was, and that the reason many Canadians were not aware of this (which again, she thought odd) was that because the news has been all Olympics, all the time. A ship hitting a pier in the middle east doesn't have the newsiness in Canada as it does in Europe. Sad, especially since there were deaths, but that the main stream media for you.

People, please bear in mind that English is not the first language for some people here. Not saying thats the case with OP, but some of it looks like it could have been written by someone whose first language is something other than English.

Yes the captain made a poor decision. I think the captain was the selfish one here. He did not want to take the heat from guests if he decided not to go into that port because of weather conditions.

What most people seem to have their heads buried in the sand over is the BIG fact this is a Carnival Cruise Line company. Carnival Cruise Lines has had SIX major accidents in as many months. This represents something in the culture of Carnival about costs, the cost of being on time, the cost of departing on time, the cost of tour revenue/on shore spending for the passengers.

I'd love to know what on earth all that high tech bridge equipment is for..it is supposed to show the weather in and around the ship. Apparently it didn't work well in Carnival's last six accidents...and of course Carnival blamed the weather for all those incidents. I am so sick and tired of all these excuses Carnival is handing down for these accidents. It's like they're rolling the dice waiting to see if it is all over without changing the way they do business.

I've never seen a company with such indifference to its operations and passengers.

I am so sick and tired of all these excuses Carnival is handing down for these accidents. It's like they're rolling the dice waiting to see if it is all over without changing the way they do business.

I've never seen a company with such indifference to its operations and passengers.

+1 -- Agree 100%

At this time I must tell my story. Having arrived in Bermuda on 9/10/01 after going around a large storm and getting in at 3PM not 8AM we went about the rest of the day just walking Front Street. We had a great time at dinner that night. Relaxed went to bed. Next morning had breakfast upstairs and returned to our room at 8:50AM to tidy up and get out for a day of fun. We had turned on the tv CNN and right before my eyes I saw the 2nd plane go around the tower and not come out.... After several hours we received notices in our rooms that our cruise line will be working on ways to get us home - not to our NY port we had left - . We headed back home many hours earlier then scheduled - but until the night before docking had no idea where we were going. Ended up in Baltimore. Sometimes terrible thing happen (as this was) but you have to give the people incharge some time to make arrangements. Things just don't happen immediately. The cruise line did not desert us. They treated us the best they could until there were plans. Remember other people have to make the plans for them, they don't have the means to do it themselves. I know this is a long post, however as I said sometimes terrible things happen. Good luck to all involved in this I will be thinking of you and what you went through.

I find this post so interesting. In early April 1996 i was on the Royal Viking Sun World Cruise and we hit a reef with a stabilizer near Sharm and sliced a hole in the side of the ship. WE immediately lost power. We were towed backward to Sharm and Docked in the harbor. It took 6 hours to evacuate the ship in ferry's as we couldn't dock.

We were all split up and sent to many hotels. As it was Easter weekend it was a tight fit.

We spent two nights in Sharm El Sheik which is a beautiful resort town. The local people were so hospitable.

And the cruise line.. arrangements on the fly were amazing. Food, drink, lodging all at no cost. And planes were flown in to take a lot of the people to London where there were better connections. Each hotel had 2 or 4 people from the crew assigned to pay for things and keep us posted on information.

And the crew had a great attitude even though most had lost their jobs. Most passengers were great sports.

Fortunately no one was injured.

But I quess I am a glass half full person..

Archived