Doctor's Cave, Margaritaville, Pork Pit Questions

Sinjin

We arrive in Montego Bay via cruise ship. We will have a group of 4 adults and 4 young children. Will it be safe to take the kids via van/taxi to Doctor's Cave and then Margaritaville? With kids in tow, we really don't want to feel threatened or be in a dangerous situation.

Do they have the water trampolines at Dr.'s Cave?

Is there a cost to use the trampolines and slides at Margaritaville? Is there a beach area at Margaritaville?

Also, where is the Pork Pit in relation to Doctor's Cave and the cruise ship terminal? We may take the wives and kids back to the ship and then venture to the Pork Pit. (unless that would make us more of a target for the drug pushers)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Ok, I'll give you an "expert and local" opinion.

That is on a big tourist stretch and you will see plenty of white-hatted security from the port area til the cows come home well past Margaritaville and it is perfectly safe. Especially on port days.

You can walk from the pier, stop at the pork pit on the way, up to Margaritaville and Dr's Cave is a few blocks north. They have water trampolines there. The beach is a REAL beach there..very tourist friendly. Margaritaville has a small beach like area..it's nice..but it's honestly not different than any place you'd visit in Florida and it's very expensive. The whole walk will take you maybe 20-25 minutes.

I'd strongly recommend you put the idea out of your mind that you are going to be bombarded by drug pushers and get robbed and raped there because it won't happen. Go wtih an open mind, ignore the negative naysayers who read too much news on AOL and have a good time.

We arrive in Montego Bay via cruise ship. We will have a group of 4 adults and 4 young children. Will it be safe to take the kids via van/taxi to Doctor's Cave and then Margaritaville? With kids in tow, we really don't want to feel threatened or be in a dangerous situation.

Do they have the water trampolines at Dr.'s Cave?

Is there a cost to use the trampolines and slides at Margaritaville? Is there a beach area at Margaritaville?

Also, where is the Pork Pit in relation to Doctor's Cave and the cruise ship terminal? We may take the wives and kids back to the ship and then venture to the Pork Pit. (unless that would make us more of a target for the drug pushers)

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I've been to Jamaica 3 times prior, but it's different when you take your wife and small children. The last time I went we were constantly offered drugs in Ocho Rios and we were ripped off by a shady taxi driver. We just want to enjoy the day at the beach without being hassled and without dealing with drug pushers. (Not being robbed or raped would be an added bonus) Thanks for your insight.

We spent the day much like you are planning. It was two of us 30s/40s and my mother and friend who are in their 60s. We felt very safe and welcomed by the people in Montego Bay. We took a taxi right from the ship to Doctor's Cave. Spent a wonderful day there! Then we took a taxi to the Pork Pit for fantastic jerk chicken and pork. It would be a fairly long walk with young children and is an inexpensive cab ride.

I agree with the previous poster -- your worries are quite exaggerated for this area. Just be mindful and if someone seems untrustworthy, they probably are. Just like any other area of the world.

Overall, Mo Bay is very welcoming and safe as long as you aren't looking for trouble. your plans sound great and take me back to the wonderful day we had!

We spent the day much like you are planning. It was two of us 30s/40s and my mother and friend who are in their 60s. We felt very safe and welcomed by the people in Montego Bay. We took a taxi right from the ship to Doctor's Cave. Spent a wonderful day there! Then we took a taxi to the Pork Pit for fantastic jerk chicken and pork. It would be a fairly long walk with young children and is an inexpensive cab ride.

I agree with the previous poster -- your worries are quite exaggerated for this area. Just be mindful and if someone seems untrustworthy, they probably are. Just like any other area of the world.

Overall, Mo Bay is very welcoming and safe as long as you aren't looking for trouble. your plans sound great and take me back to the wonderful day we had!

How far is it from the Pork Pit back to the ship?

I was wanting to ask the same question........as this is exactly what we are planning on doing. There are four of us. 3 adults and on e teenager. I was worried about my teenage daughter being harassed..(I guess I watch too much tv..lol)

I am glad that this area is very safe and welcoming..

We have been to Jamaica twice before and never had any problems..Although we were on Carnival excursions on both occasions. This time we are doing our own thing.

Seems like it's long enough that you want to take a cab. Sorry, I don't remember exactly. It's not extremely far, but would be quite a walk unless you allow enough time and have enough energy. We were carrying our beach bags, etc. and just hopped into a cab. I'm sure you could walk it if you wanted to. It's a pretty straight shot around the harbor but does seem like it was a fair distance. Sorry I don't remember better!

Archived