How does RCCL compare to Princess?

Hi All!

We're booked for a TA cruise in November aboard the Voyager. We've only done one other cruise, to Alaska, on the Coral Princess.

We really enjoyed Princess and were wondering how RCCL compares to Princess in terms of food, service and entertainment? I know we are on a much larger ship this time around, so I'm guessing there are more entertainment "options". We did the Anytime Dining on Princess and are doing MTD on the Voyager....

Thanks for the input!

Hi All!

We're booked for a TA cruise in November aboard the Voyager. We've only done one other cruise, to Alaska, on the Coral Princess.

We really enjoyed Princess and were wondering how RCCL compares to Princess in terms of food, service and entertainment? I know we are on a much larger ship this time around, so I'm guessing there are more entertainment "options". We did the Anytime Dining on Princess and are doing MTD on the Voyager....

Thanks for the input!

My clients feel the overall quality and ships are much more aligned between RCL and Princess than it is between RCL and Carnival. However, the feedback I see most frequently is that Princess is a little more stuffy and the entertainment not as good.

My clients feel the overall quality and ships are much more aligned between RCL and Princess than it is between RCL and Carnival. However, the feedback I see most frequently is that Princess is a little more stuffy and the entertainment not as good.

I agree with your clients. I do not find people stuffy at all on Princess and find them very similar to RCI, though there are less families. I think food options are significantly better on Princess, but entertainment options (not necessarily quality) are better on RCI. We love both and seem to go be int he RCI/Princess/RCI/Princess cycle.

The last time I was on Princess, about 18 months ago, I was really impressed with the roster and quality of the entertainment, especially in the smaller venues. While the big show was going on in the large theater, you could see a magician or comic in another location. The house band was the biggest and best I have ever seen at sea. A few of them jammed in one of the bars one night and when we asked them to play "Fly Me to the Moon" I was blown away by the originality and freshness of their version. I have never heard anything like it and doubt I ever will, again.

This was on the Caribbean Princess. I sincerely hope that Princess has not cut back in their entertainment department because it was the single thing we loved most about the cruise.

It depends on what type of experince you are looking seeking.

I find that the food quality in the MDR is better on Princess as is the overall experience. I prefer more of a vacation and escape. If you want a family vacation with lots to do then RCCL is for you.

I consider Princess to be what RCCL used to be about 10 years ago, before they got into the big ships and families. Once they made that move, the quality of the food and overall experience declined. It is tough to serve that many people and provide the quality. Plus the trend is to push you to pay more for better food. This is evidenced by all of the upscale dining options on all the new ships. If the food quality and presentation was just as good in the MDR why would you pay to go to the upscale dining.

When someone asks about the different lines, I always equate it to restaruants. They can usually understand that. My choices may not be entirely acurate but they get the idea.

Carnival = TGI Fridays (Party atmosphere)

RCCL = Applebbees or Ruby Tuesdays or Olive Garden (Family Friendly and homoginized)

Princess = Carabbas

Celebrity = Ruth's Chris ? (Upscale)

We have sailed twice on Princess and twice on Royal Caribbean and have enjoyed both. We felt the service was equal, food and entertainment better on RCL. Princess seemed to have the edge in the Pool Games. Princess does have some great itneraires, but feel for overall cruising, RCL suited us better. I would not hesitate to sail Princess again and have looked at them if we can do the Australian cruise. We have met wodnerful new friends on both. We haven't seen alot of children but that could be the result of the itneraries we have chosen.

We too have sailed both Princess and RCI. The last time that we sailed with Princess was several years ago, and the reason that we stopped with them, was we felt that their service had slipped, especially dealing in the full suite catagory.

We are just sending off my DW's mother and father today on the Golden Princess for Hawaii, in a Premium Suite, and will be anxious to hear how they were treated.

From all that I have heard, the food on Princess is better than RCI, but the service on RCI is better than Princess.

Rick

Archived