Alcohol and what you can bring back to US?

ProfessorandtheGeek

I believe you are allowed one liter of alcohol per person. It used to be that if you purchased some of the alcohol from St. Thomas you were allowed more, but I don't know if that is still true. We just returned a couple of weeks ago from a 4-nighter (just visited Key West and Cozumel) and we claimed 4 bottles on our customs form and was not questioned.

Generally its one bottle per person unless you go to specific islands. The post with the link should help.

I can tell you that I've brought 20 bottles back before. Had to pay a little tax but still saved tons of money. The booze is so cheap and the taxes so little I don't even worry about it. I know I'm saving money in the long run.

Cheers!

We cruised the mercury last Nov, and brought back 30 bottles of liquor. The prices in St Martin were great and the ship will match prices if you have anything in writing. The customs officer let us bring 10 bottles in duty free, he didn't ask where we bought them, and charged us about $2.75 per bottle tax for the others. It was well worth it.

Barb

I was under the impression (correct or not) that you can bring back as much rum from Puerto Rico (made in Puerto Rico) that you want, there is no limit or duty since it is a Commonwealth of the US? Is this still correct?

I was under the impression (correct or not) that you can bring back as much rum from Puerto Rico (made in Puerto Rico) that you want, there is no limit or duty since it is a Commonwealth of the US? Is this still correct?

Puerto Rico is part of the US. When you're flying out of Puerto Rico to the US you will not even go through customs when your flight lands so there is not even a place to question or declare anything.

But I have no idea how this works if you are returning to the mainland on a cruise ship that stopped in Puerto Rico as well as other non-US ports as you will pas through customs on your return.

The last time I had a large number of bottles, I put them in my carry on, and they fit in the overhead bins. Since I can't do that, AND my luggage weighs 50 BEFORE I leave home.........what do I do? :confused: Any suggestions?

FYI: My next cruise is out of San Juan.

But I have no idea how this works if you are returning to the mainland on a cruise ship that stopped in Puerto Rico as well as other non-US ports as you will pas through customs on your return.

This is my question. We will be visiting Puerto Rico on our upcoming cruise but also going to several other islands as well. We plan on purchasing rum in Puerto Rico and other liquors in St. Thomas.

We are driving to the port so the only challenge is how to get the liquor boxes off the ship and to the car (which usually a luggage carrier works quite well).

The last time I had a large number of bottles, I put them in my carry on, and they fit in the overhead bins. Since I can't do that, AND my luggage weighs 50 BEFORE I leave home.........what do I do? :confused: Any suggestions?

FYI: My next cruise is out of San Juan.

Most wine stores will have these styrofoam containers. I've used them several times -- they go on the airplane as a piece of checked baggage. Used them to bring wine from California, and back from Europe.

http://www.uline.com/bl_5450/Styrofoam-Wine-Shippers

Living in FL we don't have to worry about the weight issue. We just make sure to not pack the suitcase full so we can fit in the alcohol when we get off.

The link above will give details on the exemptions, etc. However I used to just buy what I wanted and put it in my suitcase and hope I didn't get stopped by customs.

Then someone enlightened me.

They said that it is at the discretion of the customs officer as to whether or not they will charge duty if you are over the limit. Most customs officers will not charge duty because it is a hassle for the small amount of money and even if they do it is cheap. I think like a dollar or two at most on a bottle. Still way cheaper than buying at home.

Now I always declare on my customs form and have never had to pay duty yet. I usually get between 6-10 litres.

Archived