Cell Phone Use on POA in Hawaii

mousey

Hope this isn't a stupid question:o. But, does anyone know if you can use your cell phones onbaord the POA? I know you probably can't use them went you're at sea, but can you use them in port, and on the ship when its docked? Have you used your cell phone in Hawaii and been charged more than here in the contitnental U.S.? Thanks for any response!:D

I just returned from a wonderful cruise on the POA. Yes, you can use your cell phone while in port for no additional fee's. When the ship is sailing, they turn on their own tower, and that can be expensive. I did have problems getting a very good signal in my room though, and usually went to a quiet outside area to make the call (we didn't have a balcony this time). Texting worked ok from the room.

I don't believe that there is a tower on the POA, so there are no ship's charges. However, you probably will not get a signal while the ship is at sea. But, you should have great coverage while in port on any of the islands.

I contacted my phone carrier (Sprint) and was told there would be NO extra charges for calls/texting/data (internet) while in Hawaii, that all would work as usual. I have heard, (don't know from personal experience) that using the phone (call/text/data) while ON the ship OR VERY CLOSE (pier side) to the ship you will get charged extra because it uses their tower????? :eek:

It may depend on your carrier and the plan you have. Yes, it's the US and yes, there is no tower on the PofA so there'd be no cruiseship charges. But check with your provider to be sure. We have Verizon friends & family and there were no charges incoming or outgoing on any island or on the ship. Dial away!

The reason I suggest checking, is that I thought there'd be no additional charges in STT since it is a US possession, but apparently there is no Verizon tower there and I had pretty big additional charges for two calls made to a friend who lives there (about $10 for 2 calls).

I contacted my phone carrier (Sprint) and was told there would be NO extra charges for calls/texting/data (internet) while in Hawaii, that all would work as usual. I have heard, (don't know from personal experience) that using the phone (call/text/data) while ON the ship OR VERY CLOSE (pier side) to the ship you will get charged extra because it uses their tower????? :eek:

Not on PoA because there is no cell tower on the ship. If you get a signal, it will be land based. Consequently, you will not have a signal at all once the ship is far enough away from the closest island. Most US plans are nationwide, so naturally they include Hawaii. Sounds like that's what you have.

The US Virgin Islands are US possessions, but not states, so it is different. (OTOH, we checked our cell plan and our specific one included Puerto Rico and St Thomas, even though it was routed through another carrier's towers.) The state of Hawaii has good Verizon coverage.

beachchick

I know nothing as far as being at sea, but as long as you have a nationwide plan (which I'm assuming is what most if not all people have these days), then you should be fine in port. I now have a local number, but for about a year I still had a plan with AT&T that was made in NJ and was never charged anything more.

• 3 months later...

Who do I call to confirm that POA doesn't have a cell tower? Each member of my family of four have a Sprint cell (4 Palm Pre Phones).

My son and daughter text like there is no tomorrow. If they text on the ship and it goes through a tower they may have then I will have an impossible pricey bill when I get home.

Please help.

Who do I call to confirm that POA doesn't have a cell tower? Each member of my family of four have a Sprint cell (4 Palm Pre Phones).

My son and daughter text like there is no tomorrow. If they text on the ship and it goes through a tower they may have then I will have an impossible pricey bill when I get home.

Please help.

I was on the POA in May. I have SPrint. My daughter has Verizon. We initially warned our daughter to shut her phone off on the ship, because of the high fees one can incur if connected to a ship's tower. However, we spoke with our room steward and he assured us there is no tower on the POA and therefore as long as you can get a signal you will be using towers from the ports. I know this is confusing because most ships have their own towers and many cruisers do come home to exhorbitant cell phone bills.

What I would suggest is that you make sure your children have their phones set to only work with Sprint. If they don't so this they could be in a roaming area and be charged roaming fees, which add up quickly.

I would not bother calling anyone at NCL. Too much misinformation comes from those calls. Instead, when you board the POA go to the service desk on deck 5 and have them assure you of the lack of tower on the POA.

We Cruised POA in 2008....the ship does not have a tower. I used my AT&T Phone and my Sprint Broadband internet card aboard ship and off ship with no extra charges. My devices picked up the towers on land, but the further you go out into sea the weaker the signal and then no signal.

Check with your phone carrier to see if they have service on the islands, if not then the phones will not work at all.

gg

Check with your phone carrier to see if they have service on the islands, if not then the phones will not work at all.

gg

If you have a plan that includes roaming your phone could still work. Our Sprint phone did not work through Sprint on part of Kauai, but we were able to make a call by roaming. Yes, it cost us extra, but it was a call we needed to make.

Archived