Looking for advice on shore excursions

Sairy Gamp

Sailing on 3/10/10 for 10 days (is that too many 10's or is it lucky?) Looking at Mt Liamulga Volcano Hike in St Kittts, Tiami Sail, Turtles & beach in Barbados, Treetop Canopy Adventure in St Lucia, and Sail, Snorkle & Beach in Antigua.

Would like to hear from anyone who has taken these excursions.

Thanks

Have you checked the ports of call boards? That is the best way to ready about excursions from others that have taken them in the past, not only from Princess passengers, but from other cruise line passengers as well. Also, make sure and join your roll call as many times independent excursions are formed in small groups that you may be able to join. Enjoy!

Sailing on 3/10/10 for 10 days (is that too many 10's or is it lucky?) Looking at Mt Liamulga Volcano Hike in St Kittts, Tiami Sail, Turtles & beach in Barbados, Treetop Canopy Adventure in St Lucia, and Sail, Snorkle & Beach in Antigua.

Thanks

I just got off the Ruby and visited St Lucia. I did the mountain bike trip which started and ended at the canopy adventure. I saw the zip lines above and was impressed. They said they have 11 zip lines. Everyone coming off was very happy. I did the zip lines in Costa Rica on a land based trip a couple of years ago and the zip lines appeared to be much like the ones I did in Costa Rica. I want to go back to St Lucia and do the zip lines. BTW I also saw the ziplines in St Kitts. My recommendation is don't bother. They were pathetic IMO.

We did a zip line tour in St. Lucia in 2008 through NCL. It was a lot of fun. About 10 lines. None of them were too long. Thought the lines we did in Kuai a few years back in Hawaii were longer, but you will love zipping.

I've heard the climb to the volcano on St. Kitts is fairly strenuous and in places downright sporty (or scary, if you're not a climber). You'll want good hiking boots (can do in tennis shoes but you won't be happy) and some rain gear.

The best feature of St. Lucia is the Pitons, but I don't know if you'll see them anywhere from your zipline tour.

Barbados is the home of Mount Gay Rum, the oldest rum distillery in the world. Their 12-yr old "extra old" rum is truly a joy to taste. You can get a bottle in the dock's shopping center for $19 and is worth trying to fly home with (in checked bag, of course). It's won a lot of awards from rum junkies.

I have pix of most of these islands on my web site from my November cruise on the Celebrity Millennium.

Question for those of you who have done the Zip Line....How much strain on the shoulders is there? One of us has weak shoulders (had rotator cuff surgery several years ago)

We've heard different opinions. Some say you sit in a harness and the shoulders are not involved at all, some say you just need the shoulders for steering and that is not strenuous, and then others say the shoulders are very involved.

What is your experience?

Thanks

The St. Kitts hike is a REAL hike. When we arrived our guide pulled out a bunch of walking sticks and asked us each to pick one up. He said it was our third leg and we would need it. I was thinking "OK" i will play along.. halfway up I hit a point where crying was an option!!! But it was awesome at the top... Well worth it if you make it...

You use your shoulders more to turn unless you decide to do fun tricks like hang upside down. Mostly, you just sit in the harness and let gravity take control. You have to wear closed-toe shoes because of the way you stop.

HAVE FUN!!

• 2 weeks later...
The St. Kitts hike is a REAL hike. When we arrived our guide pulled out a bunch of walking sticks and asked us each to pick one up. He said it was our third leg and we would need it. I was thinking "OK" i will play along.. halfway up I hit a point where crying was an option!!! But it was awesome at the top... Well worth it if you make it...

We would have loved to do the Volcano hike but our time in port did not allow it and Carnival did not offer it as a shore excursion. If you are looking for an off the beaten track tour in St Kitts, I would highly recommend Javin James. He took my wife and I on an away from the crowds tour. He met us immediately the ship docked. He drove us through Basseterre showing us the circus clock and independence square. We headed straight to Brimstone Hill Fortress where we spent an hour and left just as the cruise ship tours arrived. The view as far as Saba were amazing. We then drove to the North of Island stopping at the black volcanic rocks with great views of the volcano. We then went to Cayon Ghaut. A canyon on the east of the island in the rain forest for a 2 hour hike. We had the place to ourselves. The ghaut was dry but waould be more impressive in the rain, nevertheless we loved it. After the hike Javin gave us ginger beer, guava and mango juice with coconut and raisin pastries - yummy! We then drove to a secluded stony beach to snorkel - Javin provided the gear! We then headed to cockleshell beach to view Nevis and swim. On the way back we stopped to take photos of the SE peninsula with the Caribbean sea on one side and the Atlantic on the other. We also stopped at a look out over looking the harbour and the ship. We were back in Basseterre 1.5 hours before all aboard time. The tour cost $75 - well worth it for a private tour but also it was great to get away from the crowds in a port intensive itinerary. You can see him at myislands dot shutterfly dot com. He is a very new company, he is still learning the game but do not let that deter you from hiring him - he is a lovely genuine guy and will take very good care of you!

Sairy Gamp:

Book the Tiami excursion! We just got back and did this cat sail in barbados and it was hands down the highlight of our entire trip. The staff are FANTASTIC.

The ONLY thing I would have changed is possibly booking SIlvermoon or another charter that only takes out 12 pax at a time. The boat seemed a bit crowded at times. but the experience was great.

I just got off the Ruby and visited St Lucia. I did the mountain bike trip which started and ended at the canopy adventure. I saw the zip lines above and was impressed. They said they have 11 zip lines. Everyone coming off was very happy. I did the zip lines in Costa Rica on a land based trip a couple of years ago and the zip lines appeared to be much like the ones I did in Costa Rica. I want to go back to St Lucia and do the zip lines. BTW I also saw the ziplines in St Kitts. My recommendation is don't bother. They were pathetic IMO.

How was the bike ride? I am going with my 55 year old mother and need to know how difficult it is. Thanks

Archived