Carnival vs RCCL

JPVENDING

Which do you prefer?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Carnival
    • RCCL

as my signature indicates. I have only taken one RCI cruise. It was my last one (last minute incredible single cabin price motivated me to "get out there")

and as you can see my next two will also be Royal Caribbean.

My first love will always be Carnival, and I intend to sail with her again, but I was looking for a little different "flavor" just for something new, and I am hooked for awhile, especially now that I can find comparable bargain prices

with RCI.

It is not totally fair to judge Royal Caribbean on ONE cruise against several

Carnival. I just combine my experience with other cruisers comparisons and while everyone does not agree, there seems to be this concensus, to which I adhere to until further RCI experiences change my view.

RCI: More beautiful and innovative ships than Carnival (though CCL's more recent ones are impressive)

Carnival: Much roomier cabins at all levels.

Carnival: Food more consistently tasty (especially the beef) than RCI

RCI: More consisitent, better service..especially in the dining room and

embarcation process.

RCI: Much better repeat rewards program (Crown and Anchor)...Carnival

is pretty good to veterans on upgrades, but that's about it.

CCL and RCI entertainment..pretty much a wash. RCI trys to get a "name"

performer for one nite of a cruise.

Passengers: The only RCI cruise so far was a 12 day one..so the passengers

skewed much older. They were a fun group, but with a couple of exceptions..most nights after 10 were pretty quiet. I imagine a 7 dayer is different. I take one soon, so we'll see. Carnival has a much exaggerated

reputation as a "party" (alot of drunks) ship. They are certainly fun, and have

a lively night life most nights..but only once did I have a bad experience with

a drunk (uh, not counting ME ofcourse...)

They both have a wonderful product . A great value. I would not limit myself to one or the other, and I intend to try some others in the future as well. Princess and the "free-style" NCL look enticing. Even "X"..though I hear they are VERY sleepy after 10pm. I'll save Holland America for when I hit retirement age.

Mitch

I can't comment on RCI as this is one line we haven't yet taken, but my daughter was impressed by pictures of the ice skating show and public skate area on Mariner that a recent cruiser (Radio) posted. She wants us now to go on an RCI cruise. I'll hold off judgement until I research the cruiseline a bit more.

We returned from a Dec 18-25 cruise on Carnival Glory and it was children friendly (and 1/3 kids 18 & under because many multi-generational families were spending the holidays together). The food was fine - some was quite good, while other food seemed to be a disconnect from the name they gave it, and other foods forgetable. Our waiter who is from India explained that the vegetarian Madras dish was merely inspired by India (and he was being quite diplomatic) when we commented that it was not even medium hot - both had ordered it because they love spicy food.

The Carnival rooms are larger than other cruise lines I've been on and there was good value for the price you paid. However, Carnival tried to ding you for extras:

- Internet was around 90 cents/minute which seems to be higher than RCI [we used Internet cafe for much less in Key West and saw another in Belize near where the tender docked, but we were off cave tubing.]

- coffee bar had fees and they charged for expresso/cappuchino with your desert at dining room (regular coffee & decaf was gratis)

- the port shopping lady on the closed TV (I refuse to go to those sessions) seemed to be worse than normal. [she promoting shopping at their stores esp at Cozumel & recommended not shopping or doing anything in Belize, but to stay onboard for a spa day. We disregarded her "advice" and had a great shore expedition.]

- the fine-dining supper club was available for an additional per person charge (though Cruise Critics say this is well worth it, we decided not to eat there and stayed with the family every night in the regular dining room.)

Other than the first cruise we ever took about 15 years ago on a Carnival (which was also a family reunion), we pick cruise for the itinerary and dates sailing, with an eye for the price to make it affordable for everyone. We've cruised current & defunct cruise lines such as Carnival, Celebrity, Chandris, Dolphin, Regency, American Hawaii (we enjoyed Dolphin and loved America Hawaii, but found memorable moments on all our cruises). Sometimes the food is odd (the Hawaiian cruise has way too much macademia nut on entrees, but the Hawaiian cultural experiences and interior were outstanding), and you learn which breakfast to go to (dining room vs buffet) and when to ask the waiter to bring you something else if the dish is not to your liking, which is all part of the fun of cruising.

I prefer the going on ferries and cruises in Europe, particularly the Baltic Sea as the Scandinavian and Russian food is more to my liking and I like travelling with people from different countries. Though, I must admit, the US cruising population is getting more diverse; we had several Muslim-American passengers on our ship wearing hijabs (women's headscarves), and interesting passengers from all over the US and Canada. And Carnival Glory had rather good daily lunch buffets with food based on cusines from China, Italy, French (country, not cream sauced) that was fairly good. The breakfast was more Denny's, but lunch and dinner definitely wasn't.

Would I travel on Carnival again? Perhaps, but it depends on who is in our party and where the ship is going and when.

Deb

Lets see, would I rather go to work OR go on a cruise on XXXX (fill in the name) cruise line? OH, you want me to go on THAT cruise line? Thats it, I'm gonna teach you and head off to work right now! :)

Hey, I remember that we used to buy our boys all of the really cool gifts on their birthdays and holidays and then at some point realized that the things they really wanted were things like those cheap army guys, a hill of dirt and the free time to play in it. They were perfectly content to make their own fun no matter where they were at. Don't think thats much different from folks like us now in the big scheme of things.

I think the best advice ever given in regards to what cruise line should one choose was also the most simple. If you can try several different cruise lines and go to different locations, do so. If you find one cruise line you really like, then stick with it! Who cares what others think about your choices? It's your time and your vacation dollars, spend them as you see fit and don't second guess yourself. There are too many people in this world who never venture further than 50 miles from their homes, ever! Plus, you never know where fun and happiness will be found. Awe but then again, you guys knew that anyway.

George

CruisinDad - Exactly why I like Carnival better. The people are just more fun!!!!! (And sneeky);) My 2 cents - Have done a small and large ship on each RCCL and CCL & here's what I think:

Food - Much better on Carnival - big juicy filet mignon and tender Chateaubriand (never had that on either RCCL cruise)

Entertainment - About even; however, the ice skating show on the Voyager class really rocks! But then CCL has more late nite comedy shows...

Service - Slight tip to RCCL; Also embarkation is much smoother on RCCL

Room - My smallest Carnival inside room was larger than an outer on RCCL

Overall decor - Definitely RCCL. Looks like someone with a few too many magueritas in them decorated Carnival's ships.

Basically I would go for itinerary and who has the best price for when I wanted to go.

There was a time when you couldn't even say Carnival on this board. I'm glad that people are respecting eachother's choices and sharing opinions.

I can't believe this $&**#*$((%($#^^ and you $&*((#&^$^@& people that think that &$*$*%(($ is *#^@($( than %&*(#(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty right on don't you think?

I eliminated the Carnival cruise from my signature because against the advice of my Carnival cruising aunt, I went on the aging and dilipidated ship. I will not judge the line on this one ship. Refurbish or Kevork it.

However, I will agree that the two lines are VERY similar, offering great itineraries, some beautiful ships and good cruisemates.

I really believe that neither line possesses anything SUBSTANTIALLY better than the other.

I have selected RCI as my cruise of choice, if for no other reason, than IMHO, the ships are just prettier.

And don't f^&$&*@*(@(^%#&*@* the other ***#&&@@*$ AGAIN!!!!!!:p

Steve

I sail Carnival for price, nightlife and the convenience of sailing out of my hometown (Tampa). I prefer RCI though, for atmosphere and the people. If you prefer balcony cabins, RCI is the way to go! The Mariner is our favorite ship by far!

Boatgirl

I've been all over the world.

IMHO- NOPLACE, NOBODY, NOWHERE,

...beats Aruba :D

Get online and learn some phrases in Papiamento (their great language)

They will WORSHIP YOU for the effort.

Take the ATV tour...it's nuts!!!!

Go to DePalm Island for snorkeling and bring a can of "spray" cheese. The beautiful parrot fish love it!!!

Steve

Dosp/Steve,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the info!! I will look up the phrases right now - maybe print them off and study it on the flight - it's about 5 1/2 hours from Chicago.. I love a challenge!

Did you enjoy DePalm Island? I would have never thought of the spray cheese...how in the world did you figure that one out?? lol We had planned on spending some time on the beach at the Allegro where we are staying the night before..but I think we will go to DePalm Island instead - that sounds like a great day to spend our first day in paradise!!!

I wish we had days after our cruise too, but the reason DH did the cruise this way is because I have ALWAYS wanted to see Aruba - this will give us a little more time there. Hopefully, we will be able to return and spend our vacation on the island next time.

I am so excited! :) Thanks again! Will post when we return - I am off to find Papiamento!

Rachelle

Anyone want info on Aruba??? Our wonderful escape!!!

E-mail me at dosp@cfl.rr.com and I will try to answer all of your questions.

While we all have our favorite beaches and memories of vacations past, these people are those we can admire, for many reasons.

Some Americans (?) might not even like the Arubans, because they have a STRICT border policy. Almost 0% unemployment, and even those on the low end of the earnings scale are thrilled to live on this....

"ONE HAPPY ISLAND"

-Steve :D

I think for many people the specific cruise that one goes on has a lot more to due with things other than how well each cruise line does up their steaks. Things like destinations, size of ship, departure location/ease & cost of getting to the ship, dates of specific cruises (a biggy for families) all play a part in what cruiseline and what ship most people ultimately cruise on. I happen to think that this is capitalism at its finest and serves to help keep the cruise lines honest.

Because if they get too expensive relative to the competition or skimp on service just a wee too much, it can have disasterous financial results for the cruise line(s). I believe its nice to have a favorite cruise line, buts lets not ever be stupid about it. I believe that "devotion" should only be satisfaction deep. If I ever am not pleased with the product I get for my money, I am immediately open to other options. A cruiseline should never feel they are entitled to "one more chance". I say do it right the first time and we'll always be in good standing with each other.

It may sound reactionary, but I assure you thats how travel providers like cruise lines and airlines feel about us. The real work on their part goes into getting the public to BUY. Once we have made our purchase(s), delivering the travel product is secondary to the reality that they have our money in the bank. So whatever cruise or cruise line makes you happy, go for it.

George

Archived