Panama Canal Cruise on the Celebrity Infinity

BillyMetz

I am seriously interested in booking the 14 Night Panama Canal Cruise on the Celebrity Infinity in April 2011. It departs from San Diego, CA stops at several ports on the Pacific side and then after full transit through the canal ends up at Ft Lauderdale, FL. I know that is a long time from now but my group likes to start planning our cruises around a year out. We have been on the Infinity for a Hawaii cruise years ago and loved the ship. We also think the ports of call for this cruise would be great. Anyone done this cruise before and if so what did you think of it?

We did the same cruise in October of 2008 and loved it. It was just our second cruise and we would do it again.

We actually loved each port and did use the ship excursions in most cases. My DH did a helmet dive in Cabo that he loved (I am way too claustrophic to try it). We did the ships excursion canopy tour (zip line) in Punta Arenas, Costa Rica and it was wonderful. We are in our 60's and many of the folks on this tour were older than us. We did a ship's tour in Gatun Lake that included a tour of the locks and a trip to an Indian village and we really enjoyed that, reboarded after the ship went through the locks at Cristobal Pier. Also did a ship's excursion in Cartenea, which I would advise. The street hawkers are fairly persistent but the tour was wonderful (went to the fort and the walled city).

It is a great cruise. The canal was fascinating. They have someone on board the entire time you are cruising through the canal who has a lot of knowledge and shares that knowledge.

The Infinity was a great ship and we were treated awesome. In fact we are doing South America next year back onboard.

If I can answer questions, let me know.

Elaine

We did the Infinity from FL to SF last year. Doing the canal is an awesome experience. We did not stop in the canal area but did hit Jamica, Puerteranas (did a mangrove swamp tour there) Cartegena (did an eco tour there ). Unfortunately due to H1N1 we missed all the Mexican ports(we had done all but Hualtulco).

I am seriously thinking about taking this trip again in 2015 when the new canal opens.

Do it you will not be disappointed!

Did the Infinity 16 night Seattle -> Ft. Lauderdale in Sept 09.

It was a great cruise with a lot of sea days which I love and some interesting ports that we have never been to since we do just about all of our cruising in the Caribbean.

Like the previous poster said, beware that the crowd will be an older crowd. There was not much in the way of night life and the ship pretty much shut down by 11pm. But we knew that going in and it made for a much more relaxing cruise.

If you do go, be sure and watch the information on the Panama Canal that they will start playing on the 2nd day or so of the cruise. It was very informational and really made you understand the history and appreciate the transit through the canal that much more.

We also did the Infinity 16 day <Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale this past September and we LOVED it!! we are not THAT old I'm 55 and DH is 56, but we had a great time. There are a lot of older folks on board, but then again you will always see that on a longer cruise and when the kids are in school. LOved all the ports, especially Hualtulco, beautiful beaches! We would do this cruise again any time, the canal really was the highlight of the cruise!

Melody:D

Archived