First time Cruising - advice?

Bec84

So after being booked on the Pacific Sun cruise that was cancelled in November, we're finally leaving this Saturday on the Pacific Dawn!

What I was wondering about is the procedures at Portside...what time do people recommend getting there? I got the impression from other posts that you can drop your luggage somewhere early and then come back later, is that how it works?

And are we ok to bring a carton of coke cans? My travel agent phoned them back when we were originally going to go, and the lady on the phone from P & O quite rudely said that we were NOT allowed to bring any food or drink onto the ship...but I thought I had read here that people were doing it.

Any other advice?

I suggest arriving at Portside by 10.30am and going through the check-in procedure. Unless there are delays you should be on board between 11am-11.30am - well in time for lunch.

You can certainly take cans of coke or any food on board. The only prohibition is on alcohol.

Have a great cruise.

As Aus Traveller says - get there around 10 - 10:30.

Drop your luggage and head to the check in area. Grab a seat, open a book or mag, and have a quick read.

You should not have to wait long - you'll get through early and be on board early.

Time on board the Dawn before it sails will be far better than time spent wandering around shops in an arcade somewhere just killing time - especially if its your first voyage. :D

So many places to explore - then up to the buffet for a great lunch.

We're on the same cruise and thats what we'll be doing.

I can't comment on bringing Coke aboard 'cos I'm bone idle lazy :p and just accept whatever the going bar price is, but I'm sure you can if you want to.

Enjoy. :)

So after being booked on the Pacific Sun cruise that was cancelled in November, we're finally leaving this Saturday on the Pacific Dawn!

What I was wondering about is the procedures at Portside...what time do people recommend getting there? I got the impression from other posts that you can drop your luggage somewhere early and then come back later, is that how it works?

And are we ok to bring a carton of coke cans? My travel agent phoned them back when we were originally going to go, and the lady on the phone from P & O quite rudely said that we were NOT allowed to bring any food or drink onto the ship...but I thought I had read here that people were doing it.

Any other advice?

You can take soft drink on board, some people just put a luggage tag on a carton of Coke and put it with their bags.

You are not supposed to take Alcohol on board and be aware a cheap $12 Bottle of Wine will set you back around $28

Once you check your bags in you can line up and get your P&O card etc, after that its up to you whether you want to wait in the check in area till you are called up or go and get a Drink in one of several Cafes at Portside.

They call you up by Deck it seems, disabled first, then Suites and Aloha deck and move down as they go (your ticket has a corresponding colour and letter)

If you are Plaza Deck etc you will have a little wait.

You can take soft drink on board, some people just put a luggage tag on a carton of Coke and put it with their bags.

You are not supposed to take Alcohol on board and be aware a cheap $12 Bottle of Wine will set you back around $28

Once you check your bags in you can line up and get your P&O card etc, after that its up to you whether you want to wait in the check in area till you are called up or go and get a Drink in one of several Cafes at Portside.

They call you up by Deck it seems, disabled first, then Suites and Aloha deck and move down as they go (your ticket has a corresponding colour and letter)

If you are Plaza Deck etc you will have a little wait.

Maybe you have seen a new procedure (deck by deck) for boarding. We haven't ever seen this.

The only way we have experienced boarding (over the last several years cruising with P & O) is that you board in the order you check in. Each passenger is given a card with A, B, C. etc, and these are called in order. There is priority boarding for suites, but this doesn't interfere with the general boarding. People requiring wheelchair boarding go on without waiting for their group to be called.

Thanks for the help :) I'm a coke addict and if I don't get my caffeine fix I get massive migraines. It'll cost me a ridiculous amount if I buy from the bar all week, so I'll need the carton to ease it just a bit.

I got my seasick tablets today just in case, going to get a few more bits and pieces tomorrow.

We're on Baja deck I think - a B cabin. The luggage tags aren't coloured anymore - just pieces of white paper. The ones we got for the cancelled cruise were pink stickers...much cooler but oh well.

Here's hoping the weather calms down a bit - at least for the send off. This rain is awful!

3 1/2 days to go!

Maybe you have seen a new procedure (deck by deck) for boarding. We haven't ever seen this.

The only way we have experienced boarding (over the last several years cruising with P & O) is that you board in the order you check in. Each passenger is given a card with A, B, C. etc, and these are called in order. There is priority boarding for suites, but this doesn't interfere with the general boarding. People requiring wheelchair boarding go on without waiting for their group to be called.

Ah, you may well be right with that I think.

It was wheel chairs the Suites and the rest of Aloha deck and it may well have been by check in rather than remaining decks. I thought it may have been deck plan as the people with the next tickets from us were balcony decks.

By check in would make more sense.

:)

Thanks for the help :) I'm a coke addict and if I don't get my caffeine fix I get massive migraines. It'll cost me a ridiculous amount if I buy from the bar all week, so I'll need the carton to ease it just a bit.

I got my seasick tablets today just in case, going to get a few more bits and pieces tomorrow.

We're on Baja deck I think - a B cabin. The luggage tags aren't coloured anymore - just pieces of white paper. The ones we got for the cancelled cruise were pink stickers...much cooler but oh well.

Here's hoping the weather calms down a bit - at least for the send off. This rain is awful!

3 1/2 days to go!

The tickets you get at the check in are colour coded.

I am not sure if taking seas sick tablets before hand works out best or not but we both felt really sick on the second day and it took several hours for the tablets to work once we had taken them.

I hope you have a great trip.

:)

Archived