Boudicca - First cruise

Just to say how much we enjoyed the Caribbean cruise on Boudicca, which finished on Feb 15 at Southampton after 28 days.

This was our first ever cruise and we found that, despite all the research available and the views of others on various forums, we would eventually have to make our own decision.

We looked at most of the brochures and I found I was beginning to really dislike the big ships (i.e. the 2,000 + passenger count) as they started to look like floating apartment blocks. When we saw some of them in the various ports, it just confirmed that impression. Even more so with those around the 4-5000 mark. I appreciate that some people really like them – friends of ours have travelled on them and enjoy having so much choice of shops, restaurants, etc.

We also found we wanted something with plenty of days at sea, because that's the most important part of the cruise and this trip had all that. The actual port stops were good and welcome, so the balance on this cruise was just about right for us.

We spoke to our local travel agent who knew most of the cruise lines and finally decided on the Boudicca.

The only real downside was the norovirus. We had never even heard of this until we got a letter from FO 2 days before sailing, saying there was an outbreak whilst they were on the previous cruise and our embarkation would be delayed for an hour or so whilst they deep cleaned the ship.

This didn't really worry us, but we learnt later, on the cruise, that Boudicca had suffered a number of outbreaks over the last 6 months, many of which have been chronicled on CC. I reckon we should have been told earlier, not that we would have cancelled but just out of respect.

Anyway, we loved the cruise and we shall definitely do another, maybe on a sister ship, although my partner is keen to consider other lines to get a broader view. What I liked about FO is the number of those we spoke to who had done previous FO cruises and had already booked future cruises.

Cheers

GG

Glad you enjoyed your cruise on the "Boudicca". You should try the others in the Fred. Olsen fleet. They each have their own character whilst retaining the tradition of friendliness which typifies the Fred. Olsen brand. I have booked my 26th cruise with FOCL so you can see I am a bit of a fan!!

We have now been on two cruises both with Fred on Blackwatch and Boudica. Our third on Blackwatch is this Easter and it cannot come soon enough. Personally I have no desire to travel on the very large ships. I might as well just rent a flat (I believe you call them condos in the States) above a shopping Centre (Mall?)

I am getting really excited now as everyone shares my thoughts on freds ships, I don't like the skyscraper ones, We sailed on black prince in 2008, boudicca will be our 2nd cruise, and this morning i have booked for oct 2011 on braemar to italy, but i didn't book direct with fred this time as got a better price with cruise kings.

Archived