When to add Platinum Amex benefits

We always book our cruises with a Platinum Amex card and in the past I've waited until very close to sailing to add the benefits to the cruise.

I thought that we should get all of the price reductions that usually happen before adding the Amex benefits but am now wondering if we should add them for next years' cruises before the (hopeful) price reductions.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I would wait until the end to add the 2 category room upgrade (discount) benefit due to the fact that if the room price changes after your discount, you cannot reapply for the discount against the cheaper price. As far as the free dinner, it doesn't make any difference.

Can you explain what this is? I've booked my Asia cruise on my Plat. Amex, but didn't know anything about benefits? Although mine is Canadian...

Is this something you can ask for later? (I.E. now for me)

Thanks.

The Amex benefits are no longer available on Princess cruises. Princess and Amex did not renew the contract for the discounts.

I just (Friday) received a magazine (Destinations) from American Express that states that they DO still have a relationship.

I copied this from an old post. This is how you apply your benefits

TA must contact the Agency Services Department (ASD) at Platinum Card Travel Service: 800-443-7672, prompt 5. ASD is responsible for tracking the usage of this promotion by travel agencies and for verifying a Platinum or Centurion Card member is traveling on the cruise.

After the ASD has verified the customer as a Platinum or Centurion Card member and has recorded the intended itinerary, the representative will issue a unique tracking. Only ASD representatives are authorized to issue tracking numbers which are assigned to a specific cruise transaction and can not be duplicated.

Next, TA contacts Princess reservations, refers to "VA2" and adds the tracking number to the booking. If the two category upgrade is not available, refer to 'VA4" for other amenities.

Note: This step MUST be done prior to commencement of the cruise in order for the Platinum or Centurion Card member to receive the amenities of the Cruise Privileges Program.

From the amex website:

https://www217.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_c&benefitId=3

Princess Cruises

Partner Details

With ships that are grand in amenities, Princess Cruises offers a personal onboard experience that's called "Big Ship Choice, Small Ship Feel." Escape to a world of intimate pleasures and a wide breadth of activities, such as swimming, shopping, the Lotus Spa®, and ScholarShip@Sea® enrichment. Dine in the style that suits you, with a choice of Traditional Dining or more flexible Anytime DiningSM. Look forward to stunning views - thanks to a high percentage of affordable balconies.

• Two-category upgrade on staterooms and mini-suites, or $300 per suite shipboard credit2
  • Complimentary dinner in an alternative dining venue (available first night only)
  • Welcome bottle of champagne
  • Double Membership Rewards points3

Archived