Genoa on our own?

cruisingallover

Yes you can get to Portofino easily by train - stop at Santa Margherita then take bus or scooter (10 minutes). The trip will take most of a day as the train itself could be over an hour as I recall. Further south is the Cinque Terra where you can hike between five seaside villages (also a full day event). For a half day excusrion try Camogli, half way between Genoa and Portofino. It has a black stone beach and quaint waterfront and harbor. From here take a ferry to San Fruttuosso to view a small monestery tucked into a small harbor.

We would like to go to Portofino for the day.

Is this easy to do? by bus, train, taxi?

How long would it take?

What are the must sees?

Details appreciated.

Any other towns nearby worth seeing along the way?

• 1 month later...

Anyone happens to know which area Princess will dock in Genoa? Is it Stazione Marittima?

I read on one of the Italy forums that although you can see the town from the port, you should not (or can not?) walk to town. I think it said either it is not allowed or there is no sidewalk? Anyone have more information on "how to get to town from the Genoa cruise port"? If need to take a taxi, how much will it cost? Where is a good "central point" of town to ask the taxi driver to drop us off? We plan to DIY the "a day in Genoa" walking tour.

Thank you for your time.

Try this link for a thread where I was asking much the same questions...I think from what I've seen it is POSSIBLE to walk from the ship, but it depends on HOW MUCH you like to walk!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1168897&highlight=genova

Thank you.

I just posted my questions on that thread. I would like to know where the boat will dock, and how much of a walk to town from the port.

• 2 months later...
For a half day excusrion try Camogli, half way between Genoa and Portofino. It has a black stone beach and quaint waterfront and harbor. From here take a ferry to San Fruttuosso to view a small monestery tucked into a small harbor.[/quote

It seems easy to find/ride the train to Camogli...where would i find info on the ferry to San Frutuosso?

Many thanks for the help!

kathy

Archived