Anyone been seasick on Prinsedam?

svetty

Don’t let the small size of the Prinsendam discourage you. I’ve sailed twice on the Prinsendam, once in the Mediterranean Istanbul to Athens (not rough at all) & Alaska round trip from San Francisco (the Pacific Coast is one on the roughest routes) but this ride on the Prinsendam was not nearly as rough as on the great big QM2 - New York to the Caribbean.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Was on the Prisendam. The seas were not rough at all when both my SO and I developed our problem. We've been on other HAL cruises and I always loved the rocking motion, finding it soothing. However, on the Prisendam, possibly because we were up very high, and toward the bow, I got to the cabin just in time to be Oh So Sick. We took the medication from the ship's office and slept almost the entire day.

On subsequent cruises, I began taking ginger before the cruise, took bonine and wore wrist bands. I'm not such which one worked or if they all did, but I haven't been seasick since.

We leave in early April sailing from San Diego to Hawaii and ending in Vancouver and I'm hoping the above remedies continue to work.

Your original topic is "Has anyone been seasick on Prinsendam". As you have no doubt learned from the replies, in addition to varying accommodation of motion by different ships of various sizes, there is a range of tolerance of motion by passengers. DW is much more sensitive to motion sickness than I, yet on our two cruises on the Prinsendam, she had minimal problems. I expect the more important variable is the weather and the currents. High winds can cause 10 to 15 foot seas, which can test passengers on any size ship, depending on their tolerance for motion. We have also experienced more rolling on caribbean cruises as the ship crosses the heart of the Gulf Stream.

After you get to the cruise ship class, which have stabilizers, I'm not sure that size makes a tremendous amound of difference in the motion. I'll gladly yield to anyone that has scientific studies of cruise ship size vs motion.

Archived