Snorkeling in Florida

Shocker4

Anyone know of any good snorkeling off the FL coast? I'm totally addicted to snorkeling but will likely not make it to the Caribbean again anytime soon. I do make it to FL more often and am trying to figure out why the water is so vastly different when they aren't that far apart. Unless someone knows of good place that I don't know about?

Everywhere in the keys requires a boat trip. But GO FOR IT!

John Pennecamp State Park is great! The best snorkeling in Florida. The trip out to the reef is about 45 mins. Don't miss the little bay next to the parking lot if you have kids. Cool "Sunken Ship" with Cannons and tons of fish in shallow water.

Looe Key or Marathon Key, Contact a dive shop and jump on a boat to the reefs.

THE DRY TORTUGAS!!!! Snorkeling is good, but the location is awsome! Take a plane if you can afford it. If not its a 2 hour boat ride both ways but worth it!

This is Fort Jeff at the Dry Tortugas just before the seaplane from Key West landed...

481936412_tvVfX-O.jpg

But Seaplanes of Key West went out of business last year due to an accident (no one got hurt) and other expenses. There are now only two boats going out to the fort, the Sunny Days fastcat and the Yankee Freedom. But the Nat'l Park Service has signed a deal where there will only be one boat allowed to go to the fort - the Yankee Fredom. The fast cat will run for 60 - 90 more days. A shame. But the snorkeling is good at the fort at those old pilings, and if you are strong enough, you can snorkel or swim all the way round the fort.

Pjk

If you love snorkeling, do yourself a favor and visit the middle of the Florida Keys. In particular try and snorkel Alligator Reef Lighthouse, Looe Key, Cheeca Rocks, Hen & Chickens and if you only snorkel one spot in the keys make sure it is Sombrero Reef. We have snorkeled a lot of different places in the world and Sombrero Reef is one of the best snorkeling experiences we have ever had.

If you love snorkeling, do yourself a favor and visit the middle of the Florida Keys. In particular try and snorkel Alligator Reef Lighthouse, Looe Key, Cheeca Rocks, Hen & Chickens and if you only snorkel one spot in the keys make sure it is Sombrero Reef. We have snorkeled a lot of different places in the world and Sombrero Reef is one of the best snorkeling experiences we have ever had.

In the past the only way to get to Looe Key from Key West to snorkel was to drive. But just recently Sunny Days started a two-stop snorkel trip which includes lunch from Key West on their new boat the Island Express.

http://www.sunnydayskeywest.com/index.htm

I plan on trying this out in May when I'm there and will take a few photos, etc. If you are in Key West Sunny Days does several nice trips, and don't miss out on their coupon page...

http://www.sunnydayskeywest.com/coupon.htm

Pjk

Archived