Mykonos Restaurant (Taverna) recommendation

Rocket4Oh

Our cruise ship will be in port Mykonos on a Monday from 1 PM until 11 PM. We are looking to have a good dinner (celebrating our 25th anniversary) with a GREAT view of the sunset.

Are there any restaurants/tavernas that you would recommend and would it be good -and can you- make a reservation?

Thank you.

Our cruise ship will be in port Mykonos on a Monday from 1 PM until 11 PM. We are looking to have a good dinner (celebrating our 25th anniversary) with a GREAT view of the sunset.

Are there any restaurants/tavernas that you would recommend and would it be good -and can you- make a reservation?

Thank you.

There are number of different dining places, including with outdoor seating, along a stretch of the village overlooking their harbor. Below is one of my pictures showing this setting. We didn't eat there so I can say which places are better than the others. This area seems, from checking the Google map, to face north, but you should get some sort of sunset view. Timing will also be important, as at some points in the summer, the sun sets fairly late. You can go to this website to check the daily weather history and details for Mykonos, etc.

http://www.wunderground.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Mykonos’ market and outside dining area overlooking the harbor:

MikMarket.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

There are number of different dining places, including with outdoor seating, along a stretch of the village overlooking their harbor. Below is one of my pictures showing this setting. We didn't eat there so I can say which places are better than the others. This area seems, from checking the Google map, to face north, but you should get some sort of sunset view. Timing will also be important, as at some points in the summer, the sun sets fairly late. You can go to this website to check the daily weather history and details for Mykonos, etc.

http://www.wunderground.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Mykonos’ market and outside dining area overlooking the harbor:

MikMarket.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

Thanks Terry,

I have appreciated your advice and marveled at your photos for some time now. FYI you may want to add this site to your vast storehouse. It's a bit easier to use to find sunsets anywhere in the world: http://www.timeanddate.com/

I have a feeling that what we are going to have to do is land on the island, figure out which way is west, locate a restaurant with a good view of the harbor/ocean and get seated well before sunset (7:27 in Athens on September 19th) An oozo (or two) may help the time fly.

Thanks Terry,

I have appreciated your advice and marveled at your photos for some time now. FYI you may want to add this site to your vast storehouse. It's a bit easier to use to find sunsets anywhere in the world: http://www.timeanddate.com/

I have a feeling that what we are going to have to do is land on the island, figure out which way is west, locate a restaurant with a good view of the harbor/ocean and get seated well before sunset (7:27 in Athens on September 19th) An oozo (or two) may help the time fly.

THANKS for the nice comments on my photos! My cell phone does have a feature to check sunset, sunrise times all over the world. It's a nice feature to see that info on any day, etc. It is important to consider those timing factors as you do future travel planning. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

THANKS for the nice comments on my photos! My cell phone does have a feature to check sunset, sunrise times all over the world. It's a nice feature to see that info on any day, etc. It is important to consider those timing factors as you do future travel planning. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

You have an IPhone? If so, what carrier do you use? Does it work overseas?

We are using Verizon and have Blackberrys but I salivate over the capabilities of the IPhone.

I can recommend Alefkandra, a waterside restaurant with fairly reasonable prices considering the perfect location and view. We paid 29.50 € for mixed cold appetizers, hot appetizers, a kilo of rosé, Amstel, and water. That was a bounteous meal, although they also had lobster and other entrees if you really want to splash out. The location is right on the water, and we enjoyed seeing the sunset from our table. Great view of the windmills! Petros, the pink pelican mascot of Mykonos, made an appearance here during our dinner.

It didn't seem like a reservation kind of place, but they had plenty of tables, and we were seated immediately.

The view: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2172092330053482779TKtThc

That's our ship visible out in the harbor.

I can recommend Alefkandra, a waterside restaurant with fairly reasonable prices considering the perfect location and view. We paid 29.50 € for mixed cold appetizers, hot appetizers, a kilo of rosé, Amstel, and water. That was a bounteous meal, although they also had lobster and other entrees if you really want to splash out. The location is right on the water, and we enjoyed seeing the sunset from our table. Great view of the windmills! Petros, the pink pelican mascot of Mykonos, made an appearance here during our dinner.

It didn't seem like a reservation kind of place, but they had plenty of tables, and we were seated immediately.

The view: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2172092330053482779TKtThc

That's our ship visible out in the harbor.

Susan

Thank you. The restaurant looks super and the view is perfect! We'll be there on Sep 19th at 7:30!

You have an IPhone? If so, what carrier do you use? Does it work overseas?

We are using Verizon and have Blackberrys but I salivate over the capabilities of the IPhone.

I'm with you. I have Verizon, but would love an iPhone. So I have the next best thing -- an iPod Touch. It looks just like an iPhone, but you pay a fixed price and it uses wi-fi. It can run almost all the iPhone apps. It is awesome!

We were in Mykonos in November and I remember most all the cafes along the waterfront had signs saying free wi-fi.

Archived