room safes

Sorry, I am sure this question has been asked and answered many times. I tried the search function, but when I type in room safe, it gives me more info on the "room" part, and not so much on the "safe" part.

Simply put, can someone tell me about the room safes on Freedom of the Seas? Are they in all cabins? And do they work with a key code, or a card with a magnetic strip?

I've cruised with Royal only on smaller ships for weekend get-aways. I am cruising the FOTS in September for my first week long cruise with Royal, and I am very excited as I am told the experience will not be the same as the shorter cruises.

Just want to be as prepared as I can...so that is why I am asking. Thanks!

We just came off the freedom...gorgeous ship! and the safes were programmable with four digits, not card operated. Hope you enjoy her as much as we did!

Wow! That would be so efficient. No extra card to carry around. Do you know if it is the same on the Liberty of the Seas? We're sailing her in May.

Wow! That would be so efficient. No extra card to carry around. Do you know if it is the same on the Liberty of the Seas? We're sailing her in May.

Safes on the newer ships (including Liberty) all use the 4 digit code. Not sure if they have any that you have to use a card anymore. Those are a pain.

thanks for the info and quick responses! A 4-digit code is better anyway. If my DH wants something out of the safe, he doesn't have to find me if I am using my card - or vice versa.

you guys are the best...ask and it gets answered!

Counting down~!

thanks for the info and quick responses! A 4-digit code is better anyway. If my DH wants something out of the safe, he doesn't have to find me if I am using my card - or vice versa.

you guys are the best...ask and it gets answered!

Counting down~!

That is exactly what I though. This will keep DH and I from arguing about the safe We'll have to find something else to argue about :eek:

Monarch still has rooms with he card swipe safes, though I did see a JS with the 4 digit type last month. Other JS's had the card swipe type, so maybe they had to replace a failed safe.

I believe that only the oldest ships in the fleet still have safes which require you to swipe a card with a magnetic strip in order to lock and unlock them. All of the newer ships, certainly all Voyager and Freedom class ships, as well as Oasis, have the safes that use a keypad and require you to set up a four digit code.:)

Archived