Timing in Skagway

gridswaldtravlers

Hey Fellow Cruisers,

These are our plans for Skagway and I was wondering if you guys think we have enough time for all of this.

We are in Skagway from 7am to 9pm getting back to boat around 8pm

Renting a car from from Avis( Picking up at 8am)

Shopping till 10.30 am

11 am going to Liarville for Salmon Bake ( 2 Hours)

1pm driving the Klondike Hwy using Murray's Guide (Taking our time)

Maybe going on a cart ride at Caribou Crossing

Any suggs or changes?

Thanks in advance

Thanks for info. We are taking the Liarville tour with Klondike Tours at 11am. I called them and they told us if we bought the tickets with them we could drive there and leave when we wanted to.But yes we had to buy the tickets through them. I just wanted to make sure we had enough time to do all of this.

Thanks again:o

Find out when you're car rental office closes too. I think they both close at 5 or 6 pm, so you need to watch your timing!

AVIS told me that there is a parking lot for late arrivals and a key drop.

We are planning to walk around Skagway, then pick up a rental car around 11am and drive the Klondike Hwy and back using Murray's Guide, and then take the 4:15 WPYR tour. We were assured by the railway that we'd be back in time for the ship at 8:15.

We are planning to walk around Skagway, then pick up a rental car around 11am ....

Word is that rentals cars are not held even with a reservation - if you don't pick it when they open you're outa luck until they start coming back in the afternoon.

Word is that rentals cars are not held even with a reservation - if you don't pick it when they open you're outa luck until they start coming back in the afternoon.

Thanks for the head's up on that...I guess we'll go to Avis and do the paperwork at 8:00 am and leave the car until we need it.

Do you know if there is a mad rush at 8:00am ???

Have you spoke with Avis in Skagway directly? We are planning the same trip but when I spoke with Avis, (the 800 number) she said we could not rent a van in Skagway and was no help. Any suggestions as to who to call? Thanks!

I checked the AVIS website and looked at the cars available in Skagway for Aug 24, our date. And you are correct, there are only Inter, Standard and Full-size cars available. No Vans. and the prices are 50% higher now than we booked the car 60 days ago online.

I called them and they told us if we bought the tickets with them we could drive there and leave when we wanted to.But yes we had to buy the tickets through them.

Very wise move on their part. That's why they lost my business last year, because you couldn't do that.

We are planning to walk around Skagway, then pick up a rental car around 11am and drive the Klondike Hwy and back using Murray's Guide, and then take the 4:15 WPYR tour. We were assured by the railway that we'd be back in time for the ship at 8:15.

What is Murrays Guide? Thank You.

I checked the AVIS website and looked at the cars available in Skagway for Aug 24, our date. And you are correct, there are only Inter, Standard and Full-size cars available. No Vans. and the prices are 50% higher now than we booked the car 60 days ago online.

Contact the Avis office in Anchorage. I made a reservation last November with that office for a van rental for our cruise in May.

Contact the Avis office in Anchorage. I made a reservation last November with that office for a van rental for our cruise in May.

Thanks for the information. Which office in Anchorage did you call? And may I ask how much the van was?

Thanks,

Vicky

What is Murrays Guide? Thank You.

Murray's guide is an on-line guide to the Klondike Highway with information in detail. It is designed to be used for those who chose to rent a car.

It is written by a local who posts on these boards frequently and is very helpful. It comes highly recommended by those who have used it. The new guide will not be out for 2010 until April. It used to be free, but now it is $5. We plan on buying one for our trip this summer.

Hope this helps!

Why would you call Anchorage Avis for an Skagway car rental ?

We are also renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake and back. Our time is also from 7am to 9pm.

We have a glacier heli/trek tour from 9:45am-noon. So based on the above posts it sounds like we need to pick up the rental car before our glacier trek and just park it somewhere? I would be mad if we went at noon to pick it up and it was given away to someone else. How long will it take to pick up the rental car? I had read on previous threads that the line at Avis can be quite long right when they open at 8am.

How long do we need to allow to use Murray's guide for a leisure drive with photo stops to go to Emerald Lake? If time allows I would also like to stop at Carribou Crossing.

I'm just making sure that there is a enough time to do our drive without leaving until around noon. We don't want to be rushed and we dont want to be left behind!

How long do we need to allow to use Murray's guide for a leisure drive with photo stops to go to Emerald Lake? If time allows I would also like to stop at Carribou Crossing.

5 hours works out about right for most people, including that stop at Caribou Crossing (the whole trip is 150 miles). Avis is very efficient and can have you out of the office in half an hour even during the morning rush.

Yukon: Does Avis normally run out of cars in Skagway? We have a car reserved, but it sounds like many others do also and if we happen to be a minute late, will we risk not getting a car? How can they take reservations for certain classes of cars months ahead and then not have them available for those who rented them and count on them being there. Those with advance reservations should take priority over "walkups". Of course, this is not your problem, but just thought you might have a handle on the situation. Should we plan to arrive at the Avis office extra early to get in line? Ship is suppose to dock at 7:00 a.m. so I suppose we should plan to race off the ship by 7:30 a.m. :eek:

Yukon: Does Avis normally run out of cars in Skagway? We have a car reserved, but it sounds like many others do also and if we happen to be a minute late, will we risk not getting a car?

My impression is that if you don't show up by 9 or so they figure that you're not going to, and give it to the walkups. The reservation assures you of a car if you get there when they open (this is just my opinion :) )

Yukon: Does Avis normally run out of cars in Skagway? We have a car reserved, How can they take reservations for certain classes of cars months ahead and then not have them available for those who rented them and count on them being there. Those with advance reservations should take priority over "walkups". :eek:

As Jerry Seinfeld complained," You know how to take reservations, but you don't know how to hold the reservation. And the holding is the most important part."

Thanks for the head's up on that...I guess we'll go to Avis and do the paperwork at 8:00 am and leave the car until we need it.

Do you know if there is a mad rush at 8:00am ???

Yes there is a mad rush at opening time, at least there was the day we were there. We were there last June and arrived at the rental office a 1/2 hour before they opened. There was already 10 groups in front of us. Many more lined up behind us. When they opened they had 2 girls working and it took a while to get each group through. I think it took us an hour from the minute we got in line till we got our car. However it was worth it because the trip up the Klondike Highway was well worth it. And do get Murray's Guide. For $5.00 it was the best bargain on the trip! We did not care for Caribu Crossing, to us it was just another tourist trap.

We were not able to reserve a van on the website so we reserved two cars. When we got there, they offered us the van instead. So there ARE vans. However, I think we were simply very lucky. It is best to call ahead.

We love the drive over the pass. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/skagway.html. (There is a working link there for Murray's Guide ... since CC in its infinite wisdom won't let us post one here!!) [NOTE I just checked that site and the 2010 version is now AVAILABLE with free updates coming later!]

The cart ride at Caribou Crossing is a MUST DO for us!! We think it is the high point of the whole tour. Again, it is best to email ahead for a reservation.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived