Wine tasting seminar

CRUISE0825

Has anyone done the wine tasting seminar on Carnival? Is it worth the money/time?

Hi, Wife and I did this on Freedom back in Nov. Some thought was a little high priced at $15 per person, but was fun, informative. Drank wine and had snacks. Learned how different foods make wine taste different. Gave us something to do that we normally wouldn't do at home. I think we sampled 5 or 6 different wines and they will give a refill. Go for it.

We just did it on the Pride. We enjoyed it and it was the best wine tasting seminar we have ever done. We tried 2 whites and 2 reds. Tom, the sommelier talked about the wines and their characteristics and then had us try 2 different pieces of food with the wine--one that enhanced the wine and one that made it taste awful. It was well done and informative. Chardonnay CAN go with filet mignon. He finished it with a glass of sparkling wine. We thought it worth the $10 per person. They charge you that for one glass of champagne. ;)

I did many years ago on Carnival, and since have done it on other lines/ships. My opinion is that if you are not already really experianced in wine you might enjoy the experiance. The wines they server are generally just OK and the people running the tasting may or may not know what they are talking about.

That all being said it is always good to get a chance to taste new wines and compare your sensory experiance with others at the tasting and the "expert" running it. The cost is not great.

I hope that helps.

Last year on Esctasy... it depends - we (me, my sister and friend) had a good time. They served six different wines with a small plate of nibbles - cheese, fruit, etc. I think it was three wines and three reds. My sister found a white that she really liked, which we bought a bottle for that night's dinner.

The individual was reasonably knowledgeable. He wasn't able to answer one of my questions (but I'm a bit of an enthusiast).

We also got a $10 credit towards purchase of wine for the dining room - which did make the cost much more reasonable.

We did it on the Glory in August and it was 5 wines - 3 whites, 2 reds. It was in the steakhouse, so we had nibbles prepared from their kitchen. It was interesting to see not only how the food impacted the taste of the wine, but how other people reacted to the pairings.

If I recall, it was only $10 per person - and since I drank about 3-4 glasses of wine in total, I think it was more than worth it!

We did it last year on the Fantasy and I thought it was great. We had full glasses of wine and tasted 2 whites, 2 reds and a champagne. We also had the little fruit and cheese to go with it. If you're not an experienced wine drinker I think you'll find it interesting. We were at a table with a lady who obviously knew a lot about drinking wine and was bored so she talked over the host.. very annoying. I certainly learned alot about wine I had no idea about. Go do it. You'll enjoy it.;)

Are they glasses of wine or just a sample? This sounds like fun and we may have to check it out on the Freedom in May.

I would say it is 2-3 oz each - and they will give you more if you ask for it, especially if there is something that you like.

Hubby has done it on each cruise we have gone on. On the last couple he kept on till I went~~and I'm not a WINE person. On the last two, they had the bottles of wine out and you poured your own. Neither of the two cruises were Carnival so I can't say if they put you in groups around a table with a bottle of wine for the table. If that is the case, look for a table that maybe you will not have as many people at so you can DRINK more!

He wanted me to go so he could drink mine!! I had fun and it was AT SEA DAYS.

Archived