Royal Guys... Will we like Summit?

newcruiser80

I agree with most of the comparisons provided here. I have cruised all the major lines with 4 of them on RCL (Adventure, Serenade, Mariner & Oasis) and 1 on Celebrity (Century). I have back to back cruises planned on the Summit at the end of this month. Although I loved my first Celebrity cruise, my preference is RCCL. The Summit had an enticing itinerary that lured me back to X but I prefer the more active environment of RCCL. RCCL's innovative ships are second to none. That said, the service was better on X and the food on the Century was better than any of my RCCL cruises, but that was back when Michael Roux was in charge and I've heard that food has declined since then. I think the important thing is that you will have a great cruise on either line. I'll post a review when I get back.

After cruising with Princess, Royal and Celebrity, I have to say we prefer Celebrity. I agree they are more refined and classier, less of a party atmosphere and the staff was the friendliest we have ever seen. Food is also better in our opinion. We did like the entertainment and theatre under the stars better on Princess.

I am booked on the Summit in May. My husband and I have previously been on 3 cruises all w/ RCII. We decided to go w/ Celebrity after a little research on these boards about Celebrity. This will be our first alone vacation in more than 7 years. We have 5 children and really just want to enjoy some time alone. I love RCII because of all the activities and party atmosphere but that is not what we were looking for this trip.

I am sure you two will have fun no matter what line you choose ;)

We're RCCL/Celebrity fans and agree with most posts on this board. Celebrity: better food/more laid back. RCCL: Much more active. The Summit is similar in size to the Radiance class ships.

Sarah you will love the Summit. I was so amazed how friendly everyone was (crew members and our waiter). They would always stop what they were doing when we walked down the hallway and say hello and ask how we were. Our waiter was the best ever. He really bent over backwards to accomodate our large group of friends and make sure everything was exactly as we wanted.

Make sure you check out the T-pool. It is an adults only section at the back of the ship behind the pools. It's covered. This is where the Aqua Spa Cafe is. You can get healthy meals for breakfast and lunch, fresh cooked to order fish and salads. The T-pool is heated and has tubes on the side that you lay on for massaging. Very relaxing. There are also hot tubs in here. You will also find tables where you can play games if you want.

You also need to go to Normandie, the specialty restaurant. They have the best chocolate souffle ever. You cannot get this in the MDR. One thing I didn't like about the MDR is that they don't serve regular lobster tail, which I love, but you can get it in Normandie. They do have a lobster medley on the second formal night.

Did you check out the beverage package selection? Celebrity now offers packages you can buy. I purchased the frozen drink package which is $22/day or $154 with the whole cruise. This works out to 3 drinks/day at $7.50 after tip. I usually got a pina colada which is made to order and had a floater of rum on top. Yummy. They also have liquor and beer packages. I wouldn't buy the water package because you can bring on your own water and soda with no problems and Celebrity allows two bottles of wine.

Enjoy!

Sarah you will love the Summit. I was so amazed how friendly everyone was (crew members and our waiter). They would always stop what they were doing when we walked down the hallway and say hello and ask how we were. Our waiter was the best ever. He really bent over backwards to accomodate our large group of friends and make sure everything was exactly as we wanted.

Make sure you check out the T-pool. It is an adults only section at the back of the ship behind the pools. It's covered. This is where the Aqua Spa Cafe is. You can get healthy meals for breakfast and lunch, fresh cooked to order fish and salads. The T-pool is heated and has tubes on the side that you lay on for massaging. Very relaxing. There are also hot tubs in here. You will also find tables where you can play games if you want.

You also need to go to Normandie, the specialty restaurant. They have the best chocolate souffle ever. You cannot get this in the MDR. One thing I didn't like about the MDR is that they don't serve regular lobster tail, which I love, but you can get it in Normandie. They do have a lobster medley on the second formal night.

Did you check out the beverage package selection? Celebrity now offers packages you can buy. I purchased the frozen drink package which is $22/day or $154 with the whole cruise. This works out to 3 drinks/day at $7.50 after tip. I usually got a pina colada which is made to order and had a floater of rum on top. Yummy. They also have liquor and beer packages. I wouldn't buy the water package because you can bring on your own water and soda with no problems and Celebrity allows two bottles of wine.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I am so excited it is all I think about lol :D

We got an OBC when we booked so we are planning on using that towards 1 night at Normandie. Do you have a suggestion on which night is best to go there? I had thought maybe one night while we were in port in Bermuda.

I just purchased the beer package for my husband but I am still trying to figure out which one I want for myself.:confused: Its a toss up between the frozen drink package and the beer one.

Is there a movie theatre on board? Any recommendations as far as food, what to try what not to get? Did you try the sushi area? (my husband is most looking forward to that, since it is hard to find a good sushi place where we are at)

Sarah, what type of cabin did you get? If you got a CC cabin I can give you the expanded breakfast menu which is wonderful. I'm sure you are excited. I love cruising and especially trying out new ships.

Your formal nights will be Sunday and Thursday if your cruise leaves on Saturday. We booked Normandie for Monday night so we wouldn't miss formal night. Usually the food is a little better on formal nights in the MDR. You really don't want to miss the last formal night because that is when the waiters dress up in their white gloves and jackets and do the parade through the dining room with the baked alaska. You get to cheer on your waiter. Very entertaining.

Normandie also has a goat cheese souffle which is really popular. I had never tried it, and to be honest it sounded pretty strange, but a friend highly recommended it so I tried it and liked it. I got filet and lobster tail and the steak was much better than the main dining room. So tender that you could cut it with a fork. The dinner menu for the MDR will be outside the MDR each morning so you can check and see if you like what the evening menu has and then make your reservation with Normandie. The MDR has a lot of options for the everyday choices on the left side of the menu. You can get steak, chicken or fish, caesar's salad, shrimp cocktail, any time you want it. I love their creme brulee and would have that every night. Since we travelled with some friends in a large group we ordered a lot of extra things on the menu for everyone to share and our waiter began bringing things out for us to try without having to ask for them. Awesome!! As I mentioned, don't miss the chocolate souffle in Normandie. Other than that, I didn't have anything that I didn't like. It was all good. I know food is pretty subjective but we eat out a lot so we feel we are pretty good judges when it comes to food.

The first night the sushi bar will not be open. You will be able to get it the rest of the week from 5:00 to 6:00. My husband loves sushi and really enjoyed the selection. Celebrity has an afternoon "tea" where you can get little sandwiches, cheeses, cookies and desserts, as well as the normal pasta station. This is from 4:00 to 5:00. We would usually hit this area when we got back from port. There's an ice cream station (free). Don't miss the waffles which are at the end of the buffet section for breakfast. These are a big hit and come with several kinds of toppings. There's also a kova cafe (I think it's called) where you can get free warm pastries in the morning that are very good. You can also purchase specialty coffees here.

FYI, Summit doesn't have an "evening buffet" like the other cruise lines. You can get stir fry, pasta and salad, and of course pizza and the pool grill has hamburgers and hot dogs and nachos. There's also a sit down casual dining area with a suggested tip of $2, with waiters that are in training. It is not the same menu as the MDR though and not a lot of variety, but good if you don't want to dress up for dinner.

Yes the Summit has a movie theatre, but it doesn't show current movies. They were all pretty old, like slum dog millionaire, grand torino, etc., when we went in December. You can order current PPV movies in your cabin.

There's also the Celebrity theatre which has live entertainment and it's really good. They have early shows for the late diners and late shows for early diners. You will also have a midnight chocolate buffet, I think it was Thursday night. Then there's also another late night buffet another night with the ice carvings. And of course there's the clubs with dancing and the martini bars.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Sarah, what type of cabin did you get? If you got a CC cabin I can give you the expanded breakfast menu which is wonderful. I'm sure you are excited. I love cruising and especially trying out new ships.

Your formal nights will be Sunday and Thursday if your cruise leaves on Saturday. We booked Normandie for Monday night so we wouldn't miss formal night. Usually the food is a little better on formal nights in the MDR. You really don't want to miss the last formal night because that is when the waiters dress up in their white gloves and jackets and do the parade through the dining room with the baked alaska. You get to cheer on your waiter. Very entertaining.

Normandie also has a goat cheese souffle which is really popular. I had never tried it, and to be honest it sounded pretty strange, but a friend highly recommended it so I tried it and liked it. I got filet and lobster tail and the steak was much better than the main dining room. So tender that you could cut it with a fork. The dinner menu for the MDR will be outside the MDR each morning so you can check and see if you like what the evening menu has and then make your reservation with Normandie. The MDR has a lot of options for the everyday choices on the left side of the menu. You can get steak, chicken or fish, caesar's salad, shrimp cocktail, any time you want it. I love their creme brulee and would have that every night. Since we travelled with some friends in a large group we ordered a lot of extra things on the menu for everyone to share and our waiter began bringing things out for us to try without having to ask for them. Awesome!! As I mentioned, don't miss the chocolate souffle in Normandie. Other than that, I didn't have anything that I didn't like. It was all good. I know food is pretty subjective but we eat out a lot so we feel we are pretty good judges when it comes to food.

The first night the sushi bar will not be open. You will be able to get it the rest of the week from 5:00 to 6:00. My husband loves sushi and really enjoyed the selection. Celebrity has an afternoon "tea" where you can get little sandwiches, cheeses, cookies and desserts, as well as the normal pasta station. This is from 4:00 to 5:00. We would usually hit this area when we got back from port. There's an ice cream station (free). Don't miss the waffles which are at the end of the buffet section for breakfast. These are a big hit and come with several kinds of toppings. There's also a kova cafe (I think it's called) where you can get free warm pastries in the morning that are very good. You can also purchase specialty coffees here.

FYI, Summit doesn't have an "evening buffet" like the other cruise lines. You can get stir fry, pasta and salad, and of course pizza and the pool grill has hamburgers and hot dogs and nachos. There's also a sit down casual dining area with a suggested tip of $2, with waiters that are in training. It is not the same menu as the MDR though and not a lot of variety, but good if you don't want to dress up for dinner.

Yes the Summit has a movie theatre, but it doesn't show current movies. They were all pretty old, like slum dog millionaire, grand torino, etc., when we went in December. You can order current PPV movies in your cabin.

There's also the Celebrity theatre which has live entertainment and it's really good. They have early shows for the late diners and late shows for early diners. You will also have a midnight chocolate buffet, I think it was Thursday night. Then there's also another late night buffet another night with the ice carvings. And of course there's the clubs with dancing and the martini bars.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

WOW! You are full of all things Summit lol Thanks!!! :hugs:

We are in room 2123 it is an ocen view. I could not believe that not only was Celebrity cheaper than RCII, it was 2 days longer and was an ocean view to boot!!! (we have only stayed in inside rooms before)

I was thinking the same thing in regards to Normandie, I wouldnt want to miss a formal night in the MDR. I heard Bermuda is really expensive so we wont be doing dinner at a restaurant on the island.

W/ 5 kids (1 still an infant) we rarely get time to watch a 30 minute tv show let alone a movie, so slumdog, gran torino, etc... are still films we have yet to see so sounds like that will be right up our alley :)

Is it really going to be that hard to get a seat out by the pool?

So where would one eat at night if they didnt want to dine in the MDR? How late are the pasta stations, burgers, nachos, etc open?

Wow 5 kids! You must really have your hands full. LOL

It was not hard at all to find chairs for 11 if us by the pool. There's a lot of chairs.

I just looked at my celebrity today newsletter. Dining times are as follows:

breakfast buffet 6:30 - 10:00 am

sushi and stir fry. 5:00 - 9:00 pm

casual dining. 6:30 - 9:30 pm

pizza/pasta. Noon - 1:00 am

salad bar. Noon - 11:00 pm

hamburgers 11:30 - 6:30 pm

lunch buffet noon - 2.30 pm

Sandwiches Noon - 3:00 pm

Wow 5 kids! You must really have your hands full. LOL

It was not hard at all to find chairs for 11 if us by the pool. There's a lot of chairs.

I just looked at my celebrity today newsletter. Dining times are as follows:

breakfast buffet 6:30 - 10:00 am

sushi and stir fry. 5:00 - 9:00 pm

casual dining. 6:30 - 9:30 pm

pizza/pasta. Noon - 1:00 am

salad bar. Noon - 11:00 pm

hamburgers 11:30 - 6:30 pm

lunch buffet noon - 2.30 pm

Sandwiches Noon - 3:00 pm

Yes we do! 4 boys and just had our little girl in October. We are really looking forward to "us" time :)

Ok I have been seeing other threads where chairs are hard to come by, but if you all found seats for 11 :eek: that eases my mind lol

I find that so bazaar that there is no dinner buffet, is that on all Celebrity ships or just the Summit?

Is there a better time to have dinner in the MDR first/second?

I think the buffet really depends on your itinerary on other ships as I have read that others may have more for dinner. I just know what we had on the Summit and it's not much. Keep in mind you can always get room service too and it's free. We really enjoyed the MDR and you don't have to dress up a lot. You can wear a sun dress, pants or skirt. It's really nice to get pampered. We met some great friends through our roll call and now we travel with them every year.

We like the late dining since you don't get back from port until late and then we like to rest up, have a snack and go to a show, then dinner. By the time dinner is over it's late and time to rest, or party, whatever you want to do.

I think the buffet really depends on your itinerary on other ships as I have read that others may have more for dinner. I just know what we had on the Summit and it's not much. Keep in mind you can always get room service too and it's free. We really enjoyed the MDR and you don't have to dress up a lot. You can wear a sun dress, pants or skirt. It's really nice to get pampered. We met some great friends through our roll call and now we travel with them every year.

We like the late dining since you don't get back from port until late and then we like to rest up, have a snack and go to a show, then dinner. By the time dinner is over it's late and time to rest, or party, whatever you want to do.

We originally signed up for the early seating but I think we will just have to switch that when we get on board. I agree we would need time to relax and get cleaned up after being in port so the later seating would work better.

Where were you located when on board the Summit?

I know this is probably a stupid question but we have only been in an inside room before, right now we have gurantee ocean view and see on my roll call that the prices for verandahs just dropped. what exactly is the difference in an ocean view and an ocean view verandah?

I know this is probably a stupid question but we have only been in an inside room before, right now we have gurantee ocean view and see on my roll call that the prices for verandahs just dropped. what exactly is the difference in an ocean view and an ocean view verandah?

Sorry to jump in, the difference between an oceanview and an oceanview verandah is the balcony. With the exception of the Concierge Class cabins, the stateroom is 170 sq. ft. The balcony is about 4 ft deep by the width of the cabin.

Now for my reason for jumping in...One option you also have for dining for dinner is in a small section in the buffet area, called, Waterfall something or other. They offer sit down dining with a similar menu to what is served in the MDR. They do ask for an additional couple dollars for gratuity, but it is very nice and as casual as you would like it to be.

Steve

Sorry to jump in, the difference between an oceanview and an oceanview verandah is the balcony. With the exception of the Concierge Class cabins, the stateroom is 170 sq. ft. The balcony is about 4 ft deep by the width of the cabin.

Now for my reason for jumping in...One option you also have for dining for dinner is in a small section in the buffet area, called, Waterfall something or other. They offer sit down dining with a similar menu to what is served in the MDR. They do ask for an additional couple dollars for gratuity, but it is very nice and as casual as you would like it to be.

Steve

Ohhh that may work. And is that come and go seating or reservation?

So would it be worth and additional $80 pp to upgrade?

Ohhh that may work. And is that come and go seating or reservation?

So would it be worth and additional $80 pp to upgrade?

In terms of the waterfall restaurant it's either, you can reserve or just show up. Of course, as you might imagine, if you just show up you might have a short wait, but then again, maybe no wait at all.

I personally think $80 per person is certainly worth the cost to upgrade to a balcony. While there is a nice difference between an inside cabin and an outside cabin, the difference between an outside cabin and a balcony is in my opinion much bigger a difference.

Steve

Steve

This area is referred to by different names, sometimes it is called the "Casual Dining Boulevard", and often is just referred to by staff as "casual dining". I can highly recommend it as an alternative to the main dining room.

The area is set up very nicely, with tablecloths and flowers on the table, and has floor to ceiling windows, so it has a nice ambience.

The offerings are the same caliber as the main dining room, but usually not the same choices, and the selection is not as wide. The waiters in this area are in training for the main dining room, so sometimes the services isn't quite as polished, but your waiters will try very hard to please. You will also receive separate sommelier/beverage service in this area.

The thing that I like best about the Casual Dining Boulevard is that the kitchen is across the aisle from the dining area, and your food arrives piping hot. This is especially important to me as I usually choose from the seafood options. They do an excellent job with Sea Bass, and the Divers Scallops are also really good.

The thing that my husband likes the best is that he can go in his shorts and sandals! Although we both enjoy dressing up, and took all the appropriate clothing on our last Millennium cruise (December 2009), he was really pretty exhausted from work on that cruise, so we skipped out of two of the formal nights and ate in Casual Dining.

There is a "suggested gratuity" of two dollars per person, as the waiters in this area do not share in the tipping pool.

Another dining alternative: you can have a complete dinner from the MDR served in your room by room service. All courses will arrive at one time, unless you are in a suite, where your butler will serve you course by course. You can ask your room attendant to get you the MDR menu for the day, but we usually don't want to give him/her any extra work, so I just check out the menu that is posted outside of the dining room (usually there by 1:00 pm).

Wherever possible, I try to let our MDR waiter, or one of our dining companions, know that we won't be coming to the MDR for dinner, as they usually wait for latecomers, and I don't like to hold up service for the whole table.

Have a wonderful time on your cruise. You deserve to be pampered!

The dining area he was talking about is the casual sit down dining I mentioned that requests $2 gratuity and it's waiters in training. Your menu is very limited and not the same thing you will find in the MDR. Not much of a variety. But it is an option if you don't want to dress up and want to be more casual. They do request reservations.

I would definitely jump on a balcony cabin. It is so nice to sit out on your balcony and have breakfast (room service is great) or just to sit out there and read a book or unwind. I would not travel any other way now that I have cruised with a balcony. We were on deck 7 in a concierge class cabin. These cabins have bigger rooms and balconies on the Summit (191 sq ft with 41 sq ft balcony vs. 170 sq ft/38 sq ft balcony. The difference is pretty noticeable. When our price dropped before December you could get a concierge class cabin cheaper than a regular balcony. What a deal. With these you get flowers in the room, nicer shower, afternoon canapes or cheese and crackers and champagne, plus the larger cabin and balcony and also double cruise credit.

If you can find a cabin that is one of the sweet 16, highly doubtful this late, I would grab it. They have even larger balconies.

My friend grabbed one of these sweet 16 cabins, 6135 and it was really nice. It is still available on your cruise, but it's more than a regular balcony cabin.

Any balcony would definitely be better than inside or ocean view. Here are the good cabin numbers to go for:

CC-9043,9038,9201,9164,9162,9160

CC-8045,8046,8185,8176,8172,8170

CC-7203,7212,7208,7206

CC-6135,6136,6143,6144

2A-8161,8146,9173,9138

2B-7049,7080,7163,7166,7171,7173,7175,7177,7174,7176, 7178,7180

2C- 6016,6018,6020,6021,6022,6023,6024,6025,6026,6027, 6029,6030,6031,6033,6035,6053,6048

The dining area he was talking about is the casual sit down dining I mentioned that requests $2 gratuity and it's waiters in training. Your menu is very limited and not the same thing you will find in the MDR. Not much of a variety. But it is an option if you don't want to dress up and want to be more casual. They do request reservations.

I would definitely jump on a balcony cabin. It is so nice to sit out on your balcony and have breakfast (room service is great) or just to sit out there and read a book or unwind. I would not travel any other way now that I have cruised with a balcony. We were on deck 7 in a concierge class cabin. These cabins have bigger rooms and balconies on the Summit (191 sq ft with 41 sq ft balcony vs. 170 sq ft/38 sq ft balcony. The difference is pretty noticeable. When our price dropped before December you could get a concierge class cabin cheaper than a regular balcony. What a deal. With these you get flowers in the room, nicer shower, afternoon canapes or cheese and crackers and champagne, plus the larger cabin and balcony and also double cruise credit.

If you can find a cabin that is one of the sweet 16, highly doubtful this late, I would grab it. They have even larger balconies.

My friend grabbed one of these sweet 16 cabins, 6135 and it was really nice. It is still available on your cruise, but it's more than a regular balcony cabin.

Any balcony would definitely be better than inside or ocean view. Here are the good cabin numbers to go for:

CC-9043,9038,9201,9164,9162,9160

CC-8045,8046,8185,8176,8172,8170

CC-7203,7212,7208,7206

CC-6135,6136,6143,6144

2A-8161,8146,9173,9138

2B-7049,7080,7163,7166,7171,7173,7175,7177,7174,7176, 7178,7180

2C- 6016,6018,6020,6021,6022,6023,6024,6025,6026,6027, 6029,6030,6031,6033,6035,6053,6048

Crud I saw your post too late :(

But I did go w/ and upgrade. They had a MD resident special rate that put it only $50 pp for the veranda. There were only 3 rooms to choose from at this rate and we went w/ 6038

Hey at least you got a great rate for a balcony. You know sometimes you can put the room number you are interested in on Celebrity's site because it won't show you everything that's available. I was relying on ********** dot com for seeing available cabins and they didn't show everything. :eek: That's how I ended up getting a cabin on the hump for my Eclipse sailing in December. Triple size balcony on a solstice class ship. Awesome!

You can still change cabins anytime you want if you see something that is better.

Hey at least you got a great rate for a balcony. You know sometimes you can put the room number you are interested in on Celebrity's site because it won't show you everything that's available. I was relying on ********** dot com for seeing available cabins and they didn't show everything. :eek: That's how I ended up getting a cabin on the hump for my Eclipse sailing in December. Triple size balcony on a solstice class ship. Awesome!

You can still change cabins anytime you want if you see something that is better.

How do I know what room is better? I am so clueless on this lol!

The room numbers listed all are desireable for one reason or another, but most of them because they have larger balconies than their counterparts. The sweet 16 cabins are the first 8 on each side of deck 6 I believe, since that's what my friend snagged. I'm not an expert on this, so if anyone knows different, please help. You can't really tell by looking at the deck plan that the balcony is larger so you have to go by what others say. Also the aft (or back) of the ship cabins are highly coveted because they have extra large balconies and you can sit back and enjoy the wake. If you are like me, I get motion sickness, so I tend to stick in the middle of the ship if possible instead of too far forward of back. I do take bonnine and don't have a problem, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

You can try going to the Celebrity website for your sailing and do a pretend booking, then plug in the cabin numbers you might be interested in and see if they show available to book. Or if you have a travel agent, they can check for you. I usually check on my own and then let my travel agent know which cabin I want. The numbers listed are all CC cabins and 2a, b and c. So look in your category of what you want to spend and see if any of those cabins are available.

Hope all of this helps!

The room numbers listed all are desireable for one reason or another, but most of them because they have larger balconies than their counterparts. The sweet 16 cabins are the first 8 on each side of deck 6 I believe, since that's what my friend snagged. I'm not an expert on this, so if anyone knows different, please help. You can't really tell by looking at the deck plan that the balcony is larger so you have to go by what others say. Also the aft (or back) of the ship cabins are highly coveted because they have extra large balconies and you can sit back and enjoy the wake. If you are like me, I get motion sickness, so I tend to stick in the middle of the ship if possible instead of too far forward of back. I do take bonnine and don't have a problem, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

You can try going to the Celebrity website for your sailing and do a pretend booking, then plug in the cabin numbers you might be interested in and see if they show available to book. Or if you have a travel agent, they can check for you. I usually check on my own and then let my travel agent know which cabin I want. The numbers listed are all CC cabins and 2a, b and c. So look in your category of what you want to spend and see if any of those cabins are available.

Hope all of this helps!

Thanks so much for all your help I really do appreciate it! Are the aft rooms more $ normally?

Good morning Sarah. I didn't know if you saw this thread about the sweet 16 cabins. There is a nice photo where you can see the inside and the balcony where it is double the size of the normal balcony. These are classified as 2C cabins. See thread #13.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=990022

6022 is available for your sailing. I would grab it and you can have one of those sweet 16's!! 2C's are not more expensive so that's why they are highly coveted.

Good morning Sarah. I didn't know if you saw this thread about the sweet 16 cabins. There is a nice photo where you can see the inside and the balcony where it is double the size of the normal balcony. These are classified as 2C cabins. See thread #13.

6022 is available for your sailing. I would grab it and you can have one of those sweet 16's!! 2C's are not more expensive so that's why they are highly coveted.

Wow thanks :hugsandkisses:

That is a really big difference. I cant believe they dont charge more for those rooms!

We got it :D Thanks so much again :-)

Archived