thompson eastern wonders 22/4/2010

this will be our first cruise, could anyone give us any tips on the ship, tours and general life onboard thank you

Hello :)

This is a very broad question - it may be best to ask particular questions about specific things you would like to know - and reading through threads on different aspects of cruise life should also give you some background. (Your ticket booklet, when it arrives, will have a potted version of all sorts of things to help you get an idea of what to expect and of things you need to know.)

In general though, the 'Thomson product' is very similar on Celebration, Spirit and Destiny (and we're hoping Dream will offer the same standard but on a rather bigger ship and a little more up-dated). The service and atmosphere on board is a strength.

Entertainment is varied and of a very high standard - this ranges from classical musicians playing in one lounge (not Destiny), to easy listening pianists/jazz group, bands and showteams putting on excellent evening shows which change nightly (usually one night there is a comedian). The showteam also do late night cabarets and deck parties. Daytime entertainment is provided by an entertainments team who are energetic and fun - and they run quizzes, games and game shows (in the evening in Liberties - or equivalent bar/nightclub space). There is something to suit all tastes I would say. There is a full programme of activities such that it's difficult to do everything you want to do - but you don't need to engage in anything should - it's your entirely your choice!

Food is very good with a 24 hour self-service restaurant available and main the dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (Smart casual dress is required for the evening meal here.)

In your cabin when you arrive there will be a Destinations Guide. Lots of ports it's possible to DiY - you can just walk off the ship and explore. Other ports it's not so easy to adopt this approach (read up on the ports on this forum and other threads on the Red Sea - there is a search facility so you can find out specifics details e.g. Safaga is industrial - no option really but to go on a trip - unless you just want to relax on board.) It helps to have some idea before you go regarding what you would like to do at each port - but the Guide will describe all the available trips and you just fill a form in and hand it in to the Destinations Desk. Your tickets will arrive at your cabin and just follow instructions about departure times/special requirements. There is a port showcase which tells you more about the trips/ports.

A daily Cruise News is sent to all cabins - this keeps you informed about all the activities for the next day and some background on the ports you are visiting.

Before you go, everything seems very confusing but things very quickly fall into place and there is plenty of information provided to lead you through life on board. Thomson is very experienced at all of this and once you check-in at the airport, everything follows well-oiled procedures. Your coach will be waiting at the other end to transfer you to the ship (after you have collected your cases from the carousel). It's all very slick. Likewise - disembarkation at the end. There is detailed information sent to your cabin about procedures.

My tips:

- Lots of posters will have ideas on this one but my main one would be to remember to take adaptors (you can get ones which contain two types for American and European sockets - take both as there are both types of outlet on Celebration) and a 4-way extension lead which allows you to charge cameras, phones and hair tongs etc. all at the same time.

- Take some Stugeron (available over the counter at Boots) just in case you have any motion sickness issues - I find it very effective.

- Use the 'Search this forum' tab on this forum and type in key words like 'drinks', 'Cairo', 'Menus', 'formal nights', 'on board account' etc. (whatever interests you). It will throw up threads covering these issues and will probably answer a lot of your questions, and if not, will still give you some background.

I'm sure you will have more specific questions - but it's hard to predict what you would like to know so just ask and we can respond to those individually.

Celebration is an 'old lady' but extremely well maintained - hygiene and cleaning is taken seriously. Cabins are not cramped and have plenty of drawer and hanging space. En-suites are a bit 'tired' - the mosaic tiling doesn't help - but are kept immaculately by the cabin stewards. But it's wonderful warm, welcoming and friendly ship and I'm sure like many of us on here you will quickly be won over by the great atmosphere. (And searching the brochures when you get home planning your next trip!)

It looks like a fantastic itinerary. Enjoy! :)

If you are taking your mobile phone with you, make sure the company has set up your international roaming.

And most importantly, DO NOT use it while out at sea. Either for incoming or outgoing calls.

When at sea it connects through the ship's system and costs a fortune.

When you are in port make sure it has connected to the local mobile phone company if you need to use it.

Berwyn

It's a bit like winning the X-Factor. Well done.

Jan

Hi Jan,

If only I had enough talent! I'd be one of those acts they have at the beginning to show the deluded people who auditioned!!! :eek:

But this is all very nice and unexpected - for being a forum chatterbox!! (I know my weakness!!!!!!!!!) :D

Hi Jan,

If only I had enough talent! I'd be one of those acts they have at the beginning to show the deluded people who auditioned!!! :eek:

But this is all very nice and unexpected - for being a forum chatterbox!! (I know my weakness!!!!!!!!!) :D

Me too, lol. You haven't heard me sing. You deserve the praise, I haven't been a member very long but you have been very helpful especially re doing Istanbul independently. Many thanks. I'll let you know how we get on in June.

Jan

We are also on this cruise along with our 26 year old daughter and her 8 year old son. We have cruised a few times before though never with Thomson. Really looking forward to it now as it is a fantastic itinerary.

Archived