Passports going up

srm54

I read this thread last week when it first surfaced. DH was going to need a passport for our December 2010 cruise, so he went down today and got it rather than waiting until later this year. Thanks for the "heads up" on this.

I read this thread last week when it first surfaced. DH was going to need a passport for our December 2010 cruise, so he went down today and got it rather than waiting until later this year. Thanks for the "heads up" on this.

Me too! I went last Friday. I asked and the lady said she had read online that they might go up, but no one had advised her of an increase.

I am glad I finally did it. :D

Can you renew a passport 7 months before it expires? Mine doesn't expire until Oct 10th!

:cool:Bill

Yup! We just renewed ours (exp 10/26) because we are going on a trip in May. The country we are going to requires the exp date to be at least 6 months after our entry date.

Now I just have to wait for the new ones to get here!

The proposed rule for the new passport fees was published in the Federal Register on February 9, 2010 (Public Notice 6887, Federal Register, February 9, 2010, Volume 75, No. 26, beginning at page 6321). Publication of the proposed rule in the Federal Register will be followed by a public comment period of at least 30 days. The public will be notified of the date the new fees will go into effect.

At some point in time, passports will be required for all cruise travel the same as they are required for air travel now. Don't know if that point is a year away or 10 years away. But it will happen. When it does, IMAGINE how much the passport fees will increase then. My first one was around $40. total.

I'd gladly pay $135 for a 10yr passport instead of the $87 I pay now for 5 yrs..;)

Now when people post and ask if they need a passport for a closed loop cruise people responding will have to say it's only $13.50 a year. If ya can't afford that stay home.;)

Bill

My son just went to the County Clerk today to renew and was told the increase was already in effect.:rolleyes: Maybe I'll have him try a post office instead.

Just got my kids....no increase. At our county clerk too. She said it will be going up soon, but not quite yet, still have a few months.

Now when people post and ask if they need a passport for a closed loop cruise people responding will have to say it's only $13.50 a year. If ya can't afford that stay home.;)

Bill

As long as they don't turn into USPS and try to raise rates or cutback on service every year. With passports, you don't have a lot of other options.

Absolutely Federal Greed once again the fleecing of America .Reason I say this is we the tax payer bails out the banks with TARP money ;but ,the hidden bailout is the low interest rates the banks are paying on our CD & other bank savings . This in fact is a scheme by the Fed government to fleece the middle class. Now I see a 35% increase in passport service. How can they justtify such a increase .Hmmm more Federal high flying spending & out of control .

It is not that we can't afford to pay for the passport that erks me .It is just one more dose of salt into on going wound & crap that our governemnt is screwing us .

8 years ago we paid $60 for our first passport .A $110 replacement cost is a .833% increase . Comeon inflation isn't that high over 8 years .

....8 years ago we paid $60 for our first passport .A $110 replacement cost is a .833% increase . Comeon inflation isn't that high over 8 years .

A passport is good for 10 years (age 16+). To renew is only $75, where is your $110 fee coming from?

Ck out the other posts where there are links to the proposed increase .It is to be $110 not the present $75

Not to split hairs...

WRONG.

A passport is $75

The execution fee is $25

Paid to 2 separate entities.

$75 payable to the US Dept. of State

$25 payable to your county clerk, post office, etc.

Total money out of pocket for a 10 year passport: $110

Not to split hairs...

WRONG.

A passport is $75

The execution fee is $25

Paid to 2 separate entities.

$75 payable to the US Dept. of State

$25 payable to your county clerk, post office, etc.

Total money out of pocket for a 10 year passport: $110

Is it just me, or is my math wrong?

75+25=100:confused:

Lets not turn this into a political thread... the fee's are going up and not much you can do about it other than do not purchase or do not renew... it's YOUR CHOICE !

Yes we can do some thing about it .Being complacent is a huge problem in our country .Trust me when I say that we seniors vote together & we do know the score.Watch this November .

Will I renew when I need a pass port .Yes ;but ,do I like or will we sit by watching the governemnt continue to fleece us .The anser is NO .

What do you think the Tea Party is all about ?

As long as they don't turn into USPS and try to raise rates or cutback on service every year. With passports, you don't have a lot of other options.

The State Department should be required to mail all notices to each processing location and wait for receipts indicating EVERY location received them before implementing the increase. Said requirment, since it involves USPS delivery, will be indefinately delayed; there's no way the USPS can deliver that many pieces of mail in a timely fashion and many will be lost forever.

Archived