Dengue Fever Epidemic in PR - Please bring your bug repellent

Morning glory

I just saw this when looking for tour information and did not see it posted on here previously:

http://www.prdailysun.com/news/Health-Dept-declares-dengue-epidemi

Traveler Health Alert: On 26 February 2010, the Puerto Rico Department of Health declared that we have a dengue epidemic on the island. Visit the Puerto Rico Health Department "Dengue Watch" web page (in Spanish only) for the latest data on cases across the island. Visit the CDC web site to learn how you can protect yourself from dengue, what the symptoms of dengue are, & what you should do if you suspect that you have dengue. Be informed & be safe.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be there in a few weeks and will make sure I have my repellant. Hopefully, there is less of a problem in San Juan than the more rural areas. I have not encountered mosquitos there yet.

I just saw this when looking for tour information and did not see it posted on here previously:

http://www.prdailysun.com/news/Health-Dept-declares-dengue-epidemi

Traveler Health Alert: On 26 February 2010, the Puerto Rico Department of Health declared that we have a dengue epidemic on the island. Visit the Puerto Rico Health Department "Dengue Watch" web page (in Spanish only) for the latest data on cases across the island. Visit the CDC web site to learn how you can protect yourself from dengue, what the symptoms of dengue are, & what you should do if you suspect that you have dengue. Be informed & be safe.

"Thanks for the heads up. I'll be there in a few weeks and will make sure I have my repellant. Hopefully, there is less of a problem in San Juan than the more rural areas. I have not encountered mosquitos there yet."-

When I wrote the above Traveler Health Alert on my website, I put in links to all the information to help people make informed decisions.

Though it is an "epidemic", realize there were only about 185 suspicious cases last week. That is out of the 4.5 million people in PR on any given day.

The PR Health department Dengue watch link will show you town by town, where the Dengue has been found. Since dengue is spread by an infected mosquito, the more people that are near that mosquito, the more people the it may bite and spread the disease to. So usually cities are usually more of a problem than rural areas. But PR is spraying to eradicate the mosquitos all over.

Before people start getting crazy worried, click the links, learn the facts, take precautions and enjoy.

Archived