$2 bills for tips?

It is actually. Most people (Including folks in the US) have never seen a 2 dollar bill and will not accept it thinking its a fake. It is folksy in the US as a bank will accept it but outside of the US no one will so stick to singles so the crew have no problems with it.

I think $2 for a room service or per bag for a porter is a reasonable tip.

If you have a really big room service order I might go higher but $2 is my standard.

I think the OP is talking about a bill valued at two dollars, not two one dollar bills..

LOL, sorry from Canada so really didn't get the issue till I read other posts! We have the $2 coin much like the Euro $2, and I have seen american $2 bills. I say give it as someone pointed out they do collet a lot of bills in a cruise and most likely don't have many chances to take them to the bank.

Put yourself in their shoes. Would you prefer to have a $2 bill in your wallet, or two $1 bills. I know what I would want.

...Uh...I personally wouldn't care. They are the same value. Isn't that like saying you'd rather have 2 5's instead of a 10? I didn't realize people thought they were fake, as I grew up with my dad doing this. Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it.

...Uh...I personally wouldn't care. They are the same value. Isn't that like saying you'd rather have 2 5's instead of a 10? I didn't realize people thought they were fake, as I grew up with my dad doing this. Thanks for the heads up though, I appreciate it.

I think its cool your dad does it and anywhere in the states no bank would bat a eye at it but most places you cruise too have probably never seen a 2 dollar bill so they would look at it like a 30 dollar bill.

Tell him not to quit the habit just hold off on the cruise. ;)

Don't use $2 bills... use singles... fives... anything but two dollar bills.

Most foreign ports haven't seen two dollar bills and won't accept them. I don' t know how many cabin stewards have told me that.

:)

5's and 10's are different. There are places for those in a cash register. There are no places for 2's. People don't like them, except for 7 year old kids. So, if your steward is a 7 year old kid, he may want them, but no one else does. Do you really enjoy $2 bills in your wallet? How many are in it right now?

I took some on the Sensation in January, and not one person turned them down.

Anyone that works for tips, wont turn down money, but its much easier for them if you just give two $1.

Its a cute idea, but can cause them issues.

5's and 10's are different. There are places for those in a cash register. There are no places for 2's. People don't like them, except for 7 year old kids. So, if your steward is a 7 year old kid, he may want them, but no one else does. Do you really enjoy $2 bills in your wallet? How many are in it right now?

Hmm..pretty sure my 80 yr old dad isn't a 7 yr old and neither am I. I actually have 2 in there right now. Point taken about the out of country factor, but waitresses usually get a kick out of them here in the states. They spend just the same as any other money. Glad to know you're wealthy enough that you can turn your nose up at a legitimate denomination of money.

Don't tip them in the $2 bills. They can't use them on the ship, and shops in many ports wont accept them.

Don't be a pain in the arse, just tip them in standard demoninations.

Obviously I wasn't trying to be a pain in the ass. Hence I asked here before I got any.

I took some on the Sensation in January, and not one person turned them down.

I wouldn't turn them down either. Then I would trade them with a 7 year old kid for two $1 bills so I wouldn't be embarassed buying Dos Equis at the 7-Eleven in Cozumel..

Don't use $2 bills... use singles... fives... anything but two dollar bills.

Most foreign ports haven't seen two dollar bills and won't accept them. I don' t know how many cabin stewards have told me that.

:)

True. Ive been to a few places that wouldnt even accept them and felt I was offerering a fake not. I think to som its cool but Ive seen first hand that people just cant use them.

And, its not a stupid idea so dont feel bad.

Hmm..pretty sure my 80 yr old dad isn't a 7 yr old and neither am I. I actually have 2 in there right now. Point taken about the out of country factor, but waitresses usually get a kick out of them here in the states. They spend just the same as any other money. Glad to know you're wealthy enough that you can turn your nose up at a legitimate denomination of money.

Maybe people carry around $2 bills in Kentucky but it's not common in Mexico.

Hahaha, embarrassed to spend money. That's rich. I believe the reliabilty of the search function has been discussed to death also. Unless it was hidden in a thread, I didn't see anything. I tried $2 bills and 2.00 bills. Nothing came up, at least not in the first 2 pages. But thanks.

Thanks Max, but I'm not phased. I've been lurking for quite awhile, but only post around the time for my trips. I understand some people have nothing better to do than to be anything but condescending.

You asked the question, and it was answered. Game over, right? Or is it game on?

Archived