$2 bills for tips?

I'm sorry, but on other forums, it's rude to post and run.

You asked a question and it was answered, nicely. What more do you want? It wasn't the answer you wanted. So here we go, round and round.. It's boring, don't ya think?

You asked a question and it was answered, nicely. What more do you want? It wasn't the answer you wanted. So here we go, round and round.. It's boring, don't ya think?

Excuse me? If you go back and read, I said thank you for the heads up and that I would leave them at home. That was in response to the nice answers. You on the other hand decided to be condescending and derogatory.

Excuse me? If you go back and read, I said thank you for the heads up and that I would leave them at home. That was in response to the nice answers. You on the other hand decided to be condescending and derogatory.

At what point did I become condescending and derogatory? Is it wrong to suggest that normal, grown up adults in the US do not normally trade in $2 bills? I think that is a safe assumption. I think it is a safe assumption for normal grown up adults in other countries as well. Game over.

Don't tip them in the $2 bills. They can't use them on the ship, and shops in many ports wont accept them.

Don't be a pain in the arse, just tip them in standard demoninations.

Do you try and be as rude as possible when making a post, because that sure is how you come across? "Don't be a pain in the arse", now why did you have to go and say that?

This topic has been beaten to death on Cruise Critic. Try a search for $2.00 bill.

The idea of giving $2.00 bills is dumb, stupid, idiotic, and totally inane.

DON

Now this might not be a good idea to give $2 bills, but dumb, stupid, idiotic and inane are not adjectives I would have used, not to describe the bills certainly. Why the anger, the poster was just asking a question prior to sailing, which is what cc is all about. My word!!

Try giving a loonie or a toonie to someone living in the states and you will have your answer!!!;) It is real money, but to those south of the Canadian border - it is fools gold! Throw a blue $5 bill in the mix and it gets really interesting:p I suspect workers on the ship will feel the same way about the $2 US bill.

PS. For those who need an explaination ... a loonie = 1 dollar Canadian coin ... twoonie = 2 dollar Canadian coin.... and YES our money is coloured (not mispelt, BTW) like monopoly money and we like it that way:D

My dad always loves giving $2 bills for tips. Would this be a problem for the room stewards/porters?

At what point did I become condescending and derogatory? Is it wrong to suggest that normal, grown up adults in the US do not normally trade in $2 bills? I think that is a safe assumption. I think it is a safe assumption for normal grown up adults in other countries as well. Game over.

You were condescending and derogatory.

Game over!

but waitresses usually get a kick out of them here in the states

Actually, no, we don't. No server I know likes 2.00 bills, and having worked in the industry for over 20 years, I know quite a few servers. They can be as problematic for us as they would be for the crews on ships. We don't like the SBA coins either.

One thing that always stymied me is why the folks doling these out as tips think they're so clever. There's almost always a sort of presentation involved, as if they're presenting something amazing. In my experience, folks who tip with these denominations appear to think they're doing something very special. They're not.

Before anyone jumps all over me for being ungrateful for tips, I assure you, I'm not. I'm always appreciative of a decent tip, one that reflects the effort I put forth in trying to make a person's dining experience great. However, in my experience, folks who use these denominations are generally not decent tippers.

My dad always loves giving $2 bills for tips. Would this be a problem for the room stewards/porters?

Personally, I would tell him to keep it. A fiver would be more appreciated.

From a business standpoint, most people STILL think it's counterfeit money. We would try to get rid of them if we happened to get paid with them, and most people didn't even want them as change.

Personally, I would tell him to keep it. A fiver would be more appreciated.

From a business standpoint, most people STILL think it's counterfeit money. We would try to get rid of them if we happened to get paid with them, and most people didn't even want them as change.

Well how nice that you can turn away free money. Not to mention you'd be shortchanging yourself getting a 5 instead of the $2 bills. My dad is an extremely good tipper, if not a little quirky.

Try working on English next. Bills=plural. I can't imagine anyone only tipping $2.00 on anything but a bar drink.

Ah. Guzintas. I fold.

But try room service sometimes. Or the porters. Or the tour guides.

And bar drinks have an automatic 15% tacked on. Feel free to tip on something you've already tipped on.

On another note, Susan B. Anthony $1 coins are looked at in the same way. Harder to get rid of for the crew.

Or the Sacagawea's. There is a new $1 coin. It's bright gold in color. My niece just got a few for her b'day two weeks ago. We all thought they were fake.

A few months ago I was in CVS and the gal in front of me wouldn't take a $2 bill as change because she said it was 'unlucky'.:rolleyes:

Archived