Traveling with SCUBA gear

bmsmith521

My DH and I like to take our own SCUBA gear with us when we cruise (we paid all that money for it, by gosh we want our own when we dive ;)). But I was wondering if I could ship it down ahead of time to avoid the fees for extra luggage with the airlines. Has anyone else done this that can offer some additional info?

We are going down one day ahead and could probably send it to my hotel. But how would we handle it going back? Can the ship send it home for us?

You would have to have someone to ship the luggage to at the port. The ship will not ship it back for you as far as I know. It would be a problem.

I go on annual scuba diving trips mostly to the Caribbean. I check my dive bag on the airline and have never had a problem. It is worth the fee to have my own equipment. I know how it has been maintained and I am very familiar with how it operates.

We are going down one day ahead and could probably send it to my hotel. But how would we handle it going back? Can the ship send it home for us?

I've considered this as well. With baggage fees going up, I'd think there's be a business accepting parcels at the airport and hipping them. But... Don't know if these exist yet.

When we travel with our gear and it is not on Southwest, we just carry it on. Yes, it is heavy but worth the savings.

I have also used a much bigger suitcase than normally necessary and included my scuba gear in with my regular belongings.

I do always carry my regulator and computer on though. It is most important to me that these two items not get lost by an airline.

Jackie

Shipping things is not nearly as cheap as you may think. 50 lbs from NC to Ft Lauderdale UPS ground costs ~ $35. The bag fee on the airline if there is one is $25 to $50 in most cases. So to save $15 maybe, is it worth the effort? Plus what happens if UPS is late, losses your box, delivers it to the wrong address ect ect. But then again the airline could lose it also. If it was a screaming deal to ship rather than check you can bet there would be a industry started to service the need.

Rich

But shipping can be insured, where if airlines lose your luggage you are paid by the pound, not value. You would be lucky to get $500 from the airline, where shipping you can insure for $2,000. In the 2 carry on's allowed pack regs, camera, mask - I do a small roler and a laptop bag. I have the roller "Checked" at the gate.

Also then you can get through the airport faster, no waiting for the checked bags, just get off the plane and go.

I will be trying this for the first time the end of the month. We contacted our hotel and they will take a mailed bag, so I am packing up the fins and stuff in that (only doing 2 dives so only taking mask, fins, snorkel) Then I will check it on the way back since we do not have a lot of time from ship to flight.

Archived