What's there to do in Civitaveccia?

MUD

Am staying in Civitavecchia for two nights prior to a cruise. Any suggestions about what we can do while we are there? Don't thinks we want to take the train to Rome.

Why would you spend two nights there before the cruise?

Are you arriving into FCO airport in Rome? Have you been to Rome before and feel you've exhausted its possibilities?

If you are avoiding Rome to avoid the train, why not go directly there upon arrival and stay there, rather than Civitavecchia?

If you feel you've "done" Rome (impossible to do in a lifetime in my book, but that's my book), what about staying in Viterbo, Pitigliano or Orvieto?

We were going to do the same thing... but we were planning to stay 3 nights in Civitavecchia pre-cruise. We were convinced/encouraged to spend that pre-cruise time in Rome. We have since booked a hotel in Rome and plan on seeing what all Rome has to offer (or what all you can see of Rome in 3 days). Looking forward to it.

Tim

We haven't exhausted Rome at all. I have been there twice and my wife once. We will have a long flight to get to Rome and decided that it may be more relaxing to go directly to the Port.

If we are rested after the first night we can take the train into Rome.

Of course you can spend weeks and month in Rome without having seen everything worthwhile. Yet if you prefer a more relaxing day in Civitavecchia, you can have a great day, too.

There are a number of interesting sights close the port. Right at the port entrance there is the Fort Michelangelo. Just across the street the historic city centre starts. The cathedrale and several other church are worth a visit as are the Roman ruins, the remains of the walls, the fountains, historic buildings and more.

Even just watching the "normal" Italian life is a pleasure.

See http://www.civitavecchia.it/a-spasso/monumenti.asp for a first overview.

You could even head to one of the close-by beaches.

Archived