huge wave kills 2 on cruise ship

Wow must have been very scary

Huge waves kills 2 on cruise ship in Mediterranean

(AP) – 1 hour ago

ATHENS, Greece — Greek and Cypriot officials say 26-foot waves have crashed into a cruise ship with nearly 2,000 people on board off France, smashing glass windshields and killing two passengers.

Another six people suffered light injuries, a Greek coast guard statement says.

It says the accident occurred near the French Mediterranean port of Marseilles on Wednesday as the Cypriot-owned Louis Majesty was sailing from Barcelona to Genoa in Italy with 1,350 passengers and 580 crew.

The victims were only identified as a German and an Italian man.

Louis Cruise Lines spokesman Michael Maratheftis said the ship was hit by three "abnormally high" waves up to 26 feet (8 meters) high that broke glass windshields in the forward section. It is heading back to Barcelona.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gzhc8h8Y1HQaxCe6JsuyHrMA2G6gD9E7A4J82

That is terrible news. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

It is an unfortunate reality that the sea is not a tame or truly predictable thing. The power of the ocean is one of the things that draws me to cruising. There is always a risk involved with any type of travel, especially on the ocean. I accept that fact and the remote possibility that I may experience something like that, although the probability is quite low.

Eric

Archived