Anyone been in Grand Turk when 2 ships are in port?

Asil65

Just found out that there will be two ships when we are in port this summer. I have been to GT before when our ship was the only one in port. I thought it was pretty crazy and crowded when we were there that time. Margaritaville was nuts. Sounds like it might be a good port to get away form the cruise center.

Would be nice if the staggered things a bit. It looks like a Carnival ship will be in port with us for 3 out of 4 ports. No big deal on the bigger islands but Grand Turk is tiny.

• 3 weeks later...

Was there this past Friday - two ships were in port. It didn't seem too too crowded. Or at least not any more crowded then going to a beach on a summer day here in the states. No problem with getting the blue loungers.

It rained a little later though & things really cleared out then.

no a ship is not a ship. Its the size of the ship! You have ships that hold 1000-1500 passengers and you have ships such as Oasis of the seas that hold over 8500 passengers and crew. So its a huge difference having 3000 people in port or having over 15000:eek:

thats the only link I have handy on my office computer. When I get home I will post up a better one to use. Will not only show what ships are in port any given day but also shows the amount of people the ship carries so you can get an idea of how many people may be in port that day

We were in Grand Turk on March 12 and had 2 ships in port (Fortuna) & (Princess), When we got off our ship (fist ones there) we went directly to the beach (on the left hand side)....It was not crowded and lots of chairs availble. Did not go to Margaritaville until a few hours later and there was not very many people there...IT WAS GREAT!! Hope you have fun!!:D

Wow, can 4 ships dock in Grand Turk? I didn't think there was enough space. I find it interesting that the other ship that is docking with us for most of our cruise is a carnival ship. We are on a Princess ship. Maybe they are getting a 2 for 1 deal as both are owned by the same company.:) Booked my excursions already so I guess it really does not matter how crowded things get. Thanks for the responses.

thats weird...the 2 sites say something different. Cruisett.com is the site i like better personally. But I wont which is correct. I hope the site saying 4 ships in port is wrong. That would suck!:eek:

Best to check the cruise line line sites for the 4 ships to see which one is correct.

Wow, can 4 ships dock in Grand Turk? I didn't think there was enough space. I find it interesting that the other ship that is docking with us for most of our cruise is a carnival ship. We are on a Princess ship. Maybe they are getting a 2 for 1 deal as both are owned by the same company.:) Booked my excursions already so I guess it really does not matter how crowded things get. Thanks for the responses.

2 for 1 deal? LOL. Grand turk cruise center is actually owned by Carnival.

So I get that Carnival built the port in Grand Turk but are they required to pay a docking fee? I know that the fee's are huge. We were late leaving St Thomas due to getting back from a Princess excursion about 45 minutes too late. Someone told me that they are charged thousands of dollars for late departures. I would imagine that Grand turk makes some money out of this that the Carnival company pays for. Guess I don't understand the logistics.

im sure they pay the government for their ships being there. But in reality...should they have to, i dont think so. They bring thousands of people there every day a ship is in port which is money for all their residents who offer tours, own bars, boats and such. So if the cruise ships didnt port they would be losing a lot of money. I dont pay much attention to how things work as far as the ships paying the governments but I know in most if not all ports it happens...I just dont care lol. I payed my fees to the cruise line and once I board that boat I dont care about a thing besides the fact that im on vacation :D

Archived