Nassau Small town bars/restaurants??

NJ04SS

In Nassau are there any small town/ home town bars/burger places/restaurants? I want to try something native to the Island, not a chain - Any reccomendations? We are going in April on the GEM and we'll be there most of the day. I appreciate the info!

We got in a cab and asked the cabbie to take us somewhere like that. We ended up in an area called Fish Fry, couldn't tell you where we were lol. It was great! There were a few smaller restaurants, some on the water. We bar hopped, some had music, we ended up eating at one called "Eddie's", nothing special at all, but we had the best, freshest conch salad and fritters, he was cutting up the conch right there!! He had to get get ice at the bar nextdoor to make our drinks! LOL We didn't feel unsafe at all, it was day time.

We ate at a place called Conch Fritters last week and we really enjoyed it. They had some local cuisine and some normal 'bar food' as well. Not sure how 'local' the place was. It was a 10 minute walk from the ship - if you head to the main drag where all the fancy stores are and turn right you'll eventually come to a big hotel about 3 or 4 blocks down the road. It's around the corner from the hotel. My daughter had a cheeseburger the size of her head. I ate the conch fritters and jerk chicken. All delicious.

Oh I CAN'T WAIT!! Anything else? Anyone? I want to hit a few places - try alittle of everything. Any kind of dishes/food native to the Carribean these places would serve?

What are conch fritters? They look excellent!!

My daughter and I ate at the Bahamian Kitchen on Tuesday of this week. I had the grouper fingers and she had the bahamian barbecued chicken. We both tried the rice and peas. Everything was delicious and we enjoyed talking with the owner, Tom, while we waited for our food. We had more than we could eat and our bill was less than $30 including the tip.

Archived