26 foot wave in the Med.

marycang

Yes I read about this yesterday on CC. A terrible thing to happen.

How do these rogue waves come about? I have never experienced anything like this...has anyone else?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

``````````````````````````

Yes, Jennifer, once on Silver Cloud anchored off island in South Pacific - Moorea? - don't remember. I was in my suite on a bright sunny day and was knocked off my feet by a rogue wave that came from nowhere and hit us broadside. No damage to anyone -- simply amazing considering the optimum weather. I hope never to experience it again.

Reading this thread brought some memories back. In August of 1958, my ship the Westchester County LST 1167 and its three squadron mates were anchored in Buckner ["iron bottom"] Bay at Okinawa. We received advance notice that Super Typhoon Helen with 190 Mile Per Hour winds were coming our way. We pulled up anchor, and our Squadron Commodore has us cruise towards the North East Quadrant of the Typhoon. As the Supply officer, I had to close down our galley steam kettles and grills for three days and feed the crew cold food. I slept on my matress on the deck of my stateroom, with my arm around the pipe to my washbowl. Couldn't not sleep in my bunk because the rolling of the vessel kept throwing me out on the deck - ouch!

Waves, you want waves? I was on the bridge and a number of waves came along our starboard side, and went over the mast on our ship which was about 60 feet above the water.

But we made it through. Frankly, I am surprised that the ship in question in the Med did not anticipate such waves since it had some warning about the storm that it ended up cruising in, unless their weather gear and electronics was not up to the task that most modern cruise vessels have.

Waves, you want waves? I was on the bridge and a number of waves came along our starboard side, and went over the mast on our ship which was about 60 feet above the water.

Hi Charlie

Good story! OMG...60' waves :eek: I watched Perfect Storm the other week and it freaked me out a bit.

Does anyone know whether seasick medication works in waves like that?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Prayer works better =)

Has anyone been thrown out of bed in bad weather?

I've crashed into a wall walking down a hallway after dinner...but maybe that was because I'd had too many apple martinis...not sure:D

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Hi Charlie

Good story! OMG...60' waves :eek: I watched Perfect Storm the other week and it freaked me out a bit.

Does anyone know whether seasick medication works in waves like that?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

One of the old time AB's on my first ship told me about the remedy for this type of weather .. "It's really simple lad" he said ...."just sit under an oak tree".

Archived