Is there an extra charge for gluten-free on NCL??

we wanted to take the Rep Home...

I so agree! :)

We went on a NCL cruise just a month after I was diagnosed with Celiac. I went on the ship feeling sorry for myself and came off the cruise with a whole different attitude about my options. When they brought me pizza and pasta in the Italian restaurant on the Pearl, I felt like I was going to cry.

Have a great cruise!

Kim

Thank you for all this information! We are sailing on the Jewel in April, and taking along my son who has autism. He is GF/CF and we are really hoping to keep him happy food-wise! Sounds like it may be easier than I expected!

I'm wondering, when leaving the ship, are we allowed to take food off? I have a few excursions planned and my son generally has a Thermos that he brings to school for lunch (I pack him hot lunch every day). I'm wondering if they would allow that to leave the ship with us? Any ideas?

Thank you for all this information! We are sailing on the Jewel in April, and taking along my son who has autism. He is GF/CF and we are really hoping to keep him happy food-wise! Sounds like it may be easier than I expected!

I'm wondering, when leaving the ship, are we allowed to take food off? I have a few excursions planned and my son generally has a Thermos that he brings to school for lunch (I pack him hot lunch every day). I'm wondering if they would allow that to leave the ship with us? Any ideas?

The only food that you are allowed to take off the ship is food that is pre-packaged--and still in the sealed packaging. I usually take some GF pretzels, cookies, and my favorite are Larabars. Even though NCL does a great job with GF food, I also carry an "emergency" supply of pre-packed food for days off the ship.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to pack a hot lunch and take it off the ship. Most of the ports impose a huge fine if you are caught with non pre-packaged food coming off the ship--or going onto the ship.

Edited by VonChap

You might check with the food service rep. In Bermuda, while on NCL Majesty,

They packed us a box lunch, when we requested it. The day before it was needed, and they delivered it the next morning EARLY...Now, I'm talking a box lunch for 6...

I am going to try to get the six-pack permission slip for my Pearl and Epic cruises! :)

Which restaurant made you the crispy fried calamari?

And how much did you pay for the case of Red Bridge?

Impressions - the Italian restaurant - hubby said he thought mine tasted every bit as good as what he had. We ate there 4 times. Also had great crab cakes at Cagney's. BTW - I'm pretty sure the Jack Daniels shrimp sauce has malt, but check. On the Star they gave me the regular sauce instead.

The case was $164.22 out of Los Angeles and @$130 out of Miami. I would love for them to start keeping a case on board for us so we could just buy a 6 pack. ... & then more perfect margaritas!!

Edited by cruznut1111
typo

Impressions - the Italian restaurant - hubby said he thought mine tasted every bit as good as what he had. We ate there 4 times. Also had great crab cakes at Cagney's. BTW - I'm pretty sure the Jack Daniels shrimp sauce has malt, but check. On the Star they gave me the regular sauce instead.

The case was $164.22 out of Los Angeles and @$130 out of Miami. I would love for them to start keeping a case on board for us so we could just buy a 6 pack. ... & then more perfect margaritas!!

Yep, the Jack Daniels shrip sauce has malt. I never thought to ask about the crab cakes. That is a great idea.

If NCL would stock the Red Bridge...I would order those buckets of beer!

Thanks!

Kim

You might check with the food service rep. In Bermuda, while on NCL Majesty,

They packed us a box lunch, when we requested it. The day before it was needed, and they delivered it the next morning EARLY...Now, I'm talking a box lunch for 6...

Great service :D

Great post. does anyone have the email address for the ncl access desk so i can register our booking as GF

do they do GF Pizza? any reviews..................

Hello! The email address is accessdesk@aol.com Let them know who is GF and that you would like to request the list of GF foods to pre-order. Make sure you order early. Instructions will be in the cover letter.

Order the GF pizza crusts. If you have ordered those and they have them on the ship, they will make you GF pizza. It is pretty good to great. Since GF pizza crusts tend to be dry, I always ask for extra cheese and sauce.

The supply list is long and they can put together some great meals with the products on the list. They have everything from GF waffels to GF hot dog buns on the list.

Have a great GF cruise!

Kim

• 11 months later...

I hope this isn't too silly of a question, but we will be sailing on the Gem in a month or so (booking it tomorrow), and this thread is super helpful! Just wondering how do they track me down as the "gluten free one" if it's free style cruising? We haven't sailed NCL before, and I'm used to sitting in the same seat at the same table each night for dinner with the same waiter. But, since it's freestyle, will I have to tell each new waiter and each meal that I can't have gluten? How exactly does this work?

Sailed Celebrity last year expecting for the gluten-issues to be handled 100% and they totally and completely dropped the ball (and I'm a HUGE fan of Celebrity). Hoping for a better experience this time around.

I hope this isn't too silly of a question, but we will be sailing on the Gem in a month or so (booking it tomorrow), and this thread is super helpful! Just wondering how do they track me down as the "gluten free one" if it's free style cruising? We haven't sailed NCL before, and I'm used to sitting in the same seat at the same table each night for dinner with the same waiter. But, since it's freestyle, will I have to tell each new waiter and each meal that I can't have gluten? How exactly does this work?

Sailed Celebrity last year expecting for the gluten-issues to be handled 100% and they totally and completely dropped the ball (and I'm a HUGE fan of Celebrity). Hoping for a better experience this time around.

We were on the Gem in Oct and the X Connie in Nov. Yes, on Celebrity GF is a lot harder if you don't have a good waiter. On NCL, every ship has an assistant maitre 'd that is assigned to those with special diets and there is one chef who does all the special diet meals.

With GF you do lose a wee bit of flexibility, but not too much. Make sure to introduce yourself to your "new best friend" as soon as you can after boarding. There will probably be a letter waiting in your room. If you are eating lunch before going to your room, ask for directions to th main dining room (they always try to send everyone up to the buffet, so gently persist).

If your guy isn't there, you will still be able to eat safer than at the buffet.

I usually arrange specialty restaurant dining for the first night because with the more limited menu they usually know what they can and can't do GF. Just let your "BF" know where you will be and he will see that you have the following night's menu after you finish your dessert and you can order for the next night.

If you need more info, check out my "Gluten Free Tips" thread on the Cruise Foodies board..

Bon Voyage and

Bon GF Appitite

Our DS has a dairy allergy and we had similar experiences when we sailed on the EPIC a month ago.

We dealt with 3 or 4 Maitre D's over the course of the week and would often see them in various restaurants including the buffet. They were very helpful in getting dairy free food for us from the main kitchen without a lot of explaining and waiting. We also had a standing order for dairy free chocolate cookies which were made especially for our DS which were brought out with dessert.

When you check in at each restaurant, you give them your cabin number which is flagged with your dietary allergy. We always reminded the hostess that we needed to speak to the Maitre'D and also mentioned it to the waiter. Of the four cruiselines we have been on, this was the easiest and most accommodating.

If I knew how I would post the thread, but I haven't learned that yet.

So here are two other ways...

You can click on my name and from there click on "all posts"

I think the GlutenFree tips will be @ 5 or 6 down.

Or - go to "message boards" - 'cruise conversations' "foodies" and then scroll down to "Gluten-free tips or (Allergies = PIA)"

Thanks so much to everyone for this information - my dad has just been diagnosed and is having a HORRIBLE time adjusting to the GF lifestyle (just a few days ago I had to explain to him that no, Girl Scout Cookies are not GF, even if you can't "see" the cookie under the chocolate.) He is so bummed and feels so deprived, no matter how much GF stuff Mom tries out, so it will be a relief and a pleasure to know that he can eat like a king and not spend time in pain/discomfort paying for it. Thank you!!!

Hi all!

Reading all of the stories and information has been very helpful. My boyfriend is not GF but he does have a lot of stomach problems. So he doesn't eat anything with sugar in it and no spices or marinades. Will NCL be able to accommodate that? Like if we want to have a steak for dinner they can only put salt on it when they cook it. Does that make sense? Are they that accommodating? Thanks for any help in advance.

-aimee-

Thanks so much to everyone for this information - my dad has just been diagnosed and is having a HORRIBLE time adjusting to the GF lifestyle (just a few days ago I had to explain to him that no, Girl Scout Cookies are not GF, even if you can't "see" the cookie under the chocolate.) He is so bummed and feels so deprived, no matter how much GF stuff Mom tries out, so it will be a relief and a pleasure to know that he can eat like a king and not spend time in pain/discomfort paying for it. Thank you!!!

I remember that feeling of deprivation well. Ten years ago GF was another word for cardboard.

Nothing will sub for those Girl Scout chocolate mints, but here are some names of some really good cookies. Pamela's (all, but especially the Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip - get more than you think you need 'cause you will be fighting your nonGF friends for them), Lucy's cinammon, Crimble's macaroons from England, Glutinos wafers, Mi-del ginger snaps and animal crackers. There's more, but that should fill his snack wagon for a while.:)

Hi all!

Reading all of the stories and information has been very helpful. My boyfriend is not GF but he does have a lot of stomach problems. So he doesn't eat anything with sugar in it and no spices or marinades. Will NCL be able to accommodate that? Like if we want to have a steak for dinner they can only put salt on it when they cook it. Does that make sense? Are they that accommodating? Thanks for any help in advance.

-aimee-

They are SO accommodating! Do have your boyfirend get on the list with Special Needs before the cruise and then meet THE diet asst maitre 'd when you get on board. There are many asst maitre 'ds, but only one is in charge of diets. That is the one you want to find. I do think he will have a better experience if he can trim down "spices" to the specific ones that give him a problem, but needs musts. They will find a way for him to enjoy himself.

I am cruising on the NCL Pearl in May. I e-mailed the access desk and they sent me a list of gluten free products I could pre-order for my cruise. I am wondering if they charge extra for these products?? I emailed this question to the access desk and have recieved no reply :(, so I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this. I'd hate to order a bunch of food and then have hundreds of dollars added on to my cruise bill.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

(I'd also appreciate any tips fellow NCL GF cruisers could give me!)

Anastasia - Let me tell you - that NCL is VERY VERY GOOD AT GF - I WILL ONLY CRUISE NCL BECAUSE OF THIS - VERY SIMPLE - GO TO THE DINING ROOM - AND TELL THE HEAD WAITER YOU ARE GLUTEN FREE - THEY WILL HELP YOU PICK OUT YOUR FOOD FOR EACH DAY - NO MATER WHAT RESTAURANT YOU GO TO.....BRING SOME OF YOUR GF ROLLS - THEY WILL TOAST THEM ON THE GRILL AND YOU CAN HAVE HAMBURGERS....I HAVE ALWAYS TIPPED THE PERSON WHO HELPED ME. I HAVE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH THE 4 CRUISES WITH NCL - GOING AGAIN IN BERMUDA - JULY AND NEXT MARCH ON THE GEM. DON'T BE AFRAID.....TELL THEM YOU ARE GLUTEN FREE.......I forgot to tell you - they make special GF chocolate cake - they have the bread - they make special GF soup - and they deliver it to you themselves.....Don't forget to tip him....Good Luck ----and the buffet is easy...you know what to eat.....

Edited by Jeweljudy

I am cruising on the NCL Pearl in May. I e-mailed the access desk and they sent me a list of gluten free products I could pre-order for my cruise. I am wondering if they charge extra for these products?? I emailed this question to the access desk and have recieved no reply :(, so I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with this. I'd hate to order a bunch of food and then have hundreds of dollars added on to my cruise bill.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

(I'd also appreciate any tips fellow NCL GF cruisers could give me!)

I haven't read all the responses to your question and apologize if this is repetitive. We meet some wonderful people on our last NCL cruise and they had nothing but praise for the way the staff went out of their way to accommodate her glutton free diet. Just make your needs known in advance and you will be well looked after.

• 3 years later...
From someone who is Gluten Free, I really dont like your comment. While you are enjoying the pizza, burger and hot dog buns, pasta, sauches, the bread basket and many, many more items...what should those of us who are allergic to gluten do? Sit there and not eat much?

Thank goodness that NCL does offer a shopping list of Gluten Free products for those with celiac disease. AND we sail with them at least twice a year because they are the only cruise line who offers such a wide variety of GF food. They get A LOT of business from celiacs because everyone talks about them at the celiac support groups and boards. I think a few dollars for some gluten free pasta for celiacs is a great marketing program!

I just would like to add as fellow gluten-free family, Carnival also does offer a very nice selection of gluten-free foods. You don't choose them ahead of time, but it is arranged each day for the next day--including desserts, hamburgers, and pizza. It's nice.

So, as Carnival cruisers coming to NCL for our first cruise in a couple months, we are VERY happy to hear about another cruise line with great options.