Booking a holiday cruise: as early as possible or during another cruise?

Soprani

My family is taking a cruise this summer on the Freedom of the Seas. This cruise will be our first with Royal Carribean. So far, we have cruised with Princess, Disney and Norwegian Cruise Line.

I am already planning our next cruise: a 10-day holiday cruise (Christmas 2011 & New Year’s Day 2012), out of San Juan, on the Serenade of the Seas. This cruise is not available for booking yet.

As we have never cruised with Royal Carribean, I thought we could wait until we are on board the Freedom to book the next cruise. This would give us the opportunity to experience this cruise line before booking another cruise with them. Also, we would get the perks of booking on board.

However, I have been told that holiday cruises are popular and the price keeps going up until the ships are full. Furthermore, as we are three in our family, our choice of cabins will be limited. Finally, we want an inside cabin located between two decks of cabins.

So, should I book as soon as I can or wait until we are on the Freedom at the beginning of July? Any advice?

Thanks!

Soprani

My family is taking a cruise this summer on the Freedom of the Seas. This cruise will be our first with Royal Carribean. So far, we have cruised with Princess, Disney and Norwegian Cruise Line.

I am already planning our next cruise: a 10-day holiday cruise (Christmas 2011 & New Year’s Day 2012), out of San Juan, on the Serenade of the Seas. This cruise is not available for booking yet.

As we have never cruised with Royal Carribean, I thought we could wait until we are on board the Freedom to book the next cruise. This would give us the opportunity to experience this cruise line before booking another cruise with them. Also, we would get the perks of booking on board.

However, I have been told that holiday cruises are popular and the price keeps going up until the ships are full. Furthermore, as we are three in our family, our choice of cabins will be limited. Finally, we want an inside cabin located between two decks of cabins.

So, should I book as soon as I can or wait until we are on the Freedom at the beginning of July? Any advice?

Thanks!

Soprani

Hi there,

Definitely book when you're on bored. The books should be open for next Xmas/New Year's by the time you cruise this summer. Booking early usually guarantees you your choice of cabin early on (we are 3 as well and we booked our holiday cruise for this year in January).

While prices do tend to go up at times, keep checking back to see if they go down and then let your TA know the cruise line reduced the price and to make the price adjustment. They won't check that for you - you will need to do that - I check on average every few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all! I think I will book as soon as I can.

By the way, does anyone know when Royal Caribbean's holiday cruises (Christmas 2011 / New Year’s Day 2012) will be available for booking?

Archived