U.S. $ or Peso

Marika

We will be on the Star stopping in Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Ixtapa and Puerto Vallarta. Will the water taxis, restaurants, shops and venter's take U.S. $ or should we get some Peso's from the bank before we leave? Thanks.

We did that itinerary on the Star over Thanksgiving.

Everyone, everywhere, is more than happy to accept dollars, but they usually offer a 10 - 1 exchange rate. That should actually be 11 - 1 (and a little bit more). A lot of people say not to worry about it, but you need to be aware that you are actually paying a premium of 10% - 12% on everything that you spend.

We found an ATM machine and got a few hundred dollars worth of pesos that we spent over the rest of the cruise. The only fee that we paid was to our credit union -- 75 cents!

Gary

Ka Honu...you made me laugh! Years ago, when our boys were very young, we took them to Puerto Vallarta. The Old Pesos were in the 1000's...can my boys would ask...can I have 4000 for an ice cream (or whatever). They Loved that idea!!!

I have been home only a week from our Mexico cruise. We never used pesos. We used US dollars for everything, no CC either. Marilyn

So you gladly paid the 10-12% premium?

Even using the credit cards where accepted usually does a much better job of currency conversion than just using dollars.

Do as the Romans! :D

Since the official currency in Mexico is the peso, it is best to use pesos.

Most places accept US dollars, but as gtaylor said, at a premium price, usually 10 to one. If you use your ATM card to get pesos to spend, you get the world bank rate of the day, which was over 11 to one today. Even changing US dollars at a bank or cambio is better than using just dollars around Mexcio. Right now the street rate at Casas de Cambios in Vallarta is about 10.90 pesos to one US dollar.

Tourist destinations in MX take US dollars as a courtesy only, and in return for that courtesy, you pay a price.:rolleyes:

hi all, thank you for all you opinions! I still don't know what I'm going to do, I've got some time to think about it, cruising in late April. I'll have to check what the bank is selling the Peso's at, I may buy a few just to get us by and use the U.S. when we run out.

The difference between 11 pesos per dollar and 10 pesos is only $1 on $100 (1%). It's not 10 to 12 percent. It was cheaper for me to use US dollars than use my ATM card to get pesos when you figure the bank fees.

I was there last week and everyone took the US dollars. Just make sure to ask if they give US change back (not pesos) before you purchase.

hi all, thank you for all you opinions! I still don't know what I'm going to do, I've got some time to think about it, cruising in late April. I'll have to check what the bank is selling the Peso's at, I may buy a few just to get us by and use the U.S. when we run out.

I believe that you'd do much better by withdrawing Pesos from an ATM in Mexico.

As Bzy1 says, 10 to 1 is on the high side!! Some will give you even less if you aren't paying attention or don't ask. The shops near the docks, will often have prices in US $'s. While what is said is true, we never change money, but many will still give you your small change in pesos rather than dollars. If you buy something bigger, use credit card.

bzy 1,

What are you doing? First, you dispel the unhealthy water in PV and now you tell about the money exchange scam? Can you not stop telling the truth? Next thing you know, you'll tell the board where to buy the REAL silver and about the stamps on them? ;)........Dennis(chefajax)

Can you imagine that someone actually tells the truth so others can have a better holiday? Perish or cherish the thought! :) ha ha

Best jewelry is always bought in a reputable jewelry store with a stamp that says .925. Easier for Profeco and the inspectors to check a store to assure they are selling real stuff than to look around for re-sellers. Many vendors have a mix of sterling silver items and some alpaca items, some are great some not so great. If in doubt, compare similar items in a store where their prices are marked.

And to be very honest, I have found many shops in the US have sterling silver jewelry for better prices. Best prices in MX is at the source, Taxco. Here in Vallarta, Sam's Club has some pretty nice silver jewelry for a great price. I bought two rings there (heavy silver band with a synthetic stone) for $260 pesos for both.

Found a similar ring at a silver shop on the Malecon that charges by gram weight. I had them weigh my ring to see what they would charge if they sold it to me, $320 pesos they quoted for the one ring by their gram weight. (60 pesos more, and I have two rings, so that would be 640 pesos for what I paid 260 pesos for at Sam's Club)

Compare compare compare, or buy what you love and do not look back :D

Can you imagine that someone actually tells the truth so others can have a better holiday? Perish or cherish the thought! :) ha ha

Best jewelry is always bought in a reputable jewelry store with a stamp that says .925. Easier for Profeco and the inspectors to check a store to assure they are selling real stuff than to look around for re-sellers. Many vendors have a mix of sterling silver items and some alpaca items, some are great some not so great. If in doubt, compare similar items in a store where their prices are marked.

And to be very honest, I have found many shops in the US have sterling silver jewelry for better prices. Best prices in MX is at the source, Taxco. Here in Vallarta, Sam's Club has some pretty nice silver jewelry for a great price. I bought two rings there (heavy silver band with a synthetic stone) for $260 pesos for both.

Found a similar ring at a silver shop on the Malecon that charges by gram weight. I had them weigh my ring to see what they would charge if they sold it to me, $320 pesos they quoted for the one ring by their gram weight. (60 pesos more, and I have two rings, so that would be 640 pesos for what I paid 260 pesos for at Sam's Club)

Compare compare compare, or buy what you love and do not look back :D

There's a Sam's Club in PV. Like the ones in the U.S? I can't believe it. Where is it. Please don't laugh at me if it's not the Sam's Club I'm thinking of.

The Sam's Club in Puerto Vallarta is located directly across the street from the cruise pier and next to the WalMart store. It is the very same store as the ones in the US and carries many of the same products at very fair prices. Just for fun we walked through a couple of weeks ago and noticed some items not normally seen in the states but also noted many items that are. bzy1 is correct in that the prices are very good!

Sam's and WalMart are right here to greet the ships!

While I like they are here (I live here and they are great for buying necessities) I do not like that this is one of the first things you see from the ship!

Both Sam's and WalMart have great prices and the best exchange rate for US dollars when you purchase.

#1- No $100 US bills!

#2 Change is in PESOS (they have signs that say change is in pesos)

#3 At Sam's you can get a day pass at customer service if you do not have a card.

#4- great souvenirs (Hot sauce! Vanilla! Spanish labeled candy/gum! Kahlua, Jose Cuervo and 43 liquor filled chocolates!) Cheap cheap cheap! Better than a blanket!

Hi to All....

Sorry bzy 1,I KNOW that I will get FLAMED for this, BUT I do NOT shop at Walmart. Prices are low, but at a cost to the people of US and Mexico. I will pay the extra and buy Mexican products when I am there. It may not be alot, but I believe in supporting the local economy. I have seen the changes from this, like in Ensenada, which looked like "Little Tijuana Barrio" to a place that one can be proud of.........Dennis

Dennis:

I'm not going to pick on you, but when we cruised up to Alaska, we purposely shopped at Walmart. Being naive, I went to one of the port talks on the ship. I was very annoyed with the self promotion, and "continual reference to the preferred stores", that went on. It was my way of protesting against the cruise line.

Bev

BYZ 1...

Are you talking about Walmart in Mexico? I see alot of goods coming in from China. I would not insult those who work there as my sister-in-law is one. I disagree with their business practices. Sometimes getting those low prices comes with a price, which i fear is too high. I am for a stronger economic Mexico and I spend my money to support my belief. Sorry for straying off the topic BUT would Love to continue this conversation further when I come to PV over some Pacificos and tapas :).....Dennis

Sounds great Dennis, diet coke for me!

I am not a fan of WalMart either as I worked for Target corp for 15 years and own stock, but hey, when you are so limited on shopping here you pay the piper. :)

The difference between 11 pesos per dollar and 10 pesos is only $1 on $100 (1%). It's not 10 to 12 percent. It was cheaper for me to use US dollars than use my ATM card to get pesos when you figure the bank fees.

I was there last week and everyone took the US dollars. Just make sure to ask if they give US change back (not pesos) before you purchase.

Mrs. Seabird, are you still out there? We are continuing with the thread you started for the March 12 Serenade of the Seas. Are you still with us or did you have to cancel? (Another couple for the Meet & Mingle would be appreciated) :)

Here is the link for the thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2978173#post2978173

In Cabo, Mazatlan & PV a couple of weeks ago we found most merchants & cabbies quoted prices in dollars, so I got pesos from the ATM and offered the sellers 10-1:

me: Plaza Principlae? Quando Questo?

cabbie: 10 dollars

me: 100 pesos?

cabbie: OK

Which meant the ride was now only US$9

This won't work in upscale shops, of course, but using your AmEx card in them gets almost as good a rate!

Archived