Father permission letter?

Vianky

I have a son from a previous marriage and I have been reading here about a type of permission letter?

Do I really need this?

He will have his passport and Father gave permission for that.

If I do need such a letter, does it have to be notarized? Does it have to say basically its ok for my son to go on this cruise or does he have to say its ok to go into every single port and name each by name?

I took my son on a cruise when he was 16 and I decided to take a permission letter, just to be on the safe side. I got a form letter off the internet, that I found by googling it. Yes, it does need to be notarized. I didn't end up needing the letter, but I felt better know I had it.

ETA: I don't know if it makes a difference if he has a passport. This was back in '07 and we didn't use passports on the cruise, so I can't answer that part of your question. I would assume you would still need permission to travel from the other parent, passport or not.

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

You know up front there could be a problem without one. Its up to you.

Things aren't like they used to be.

We are taking a cruise in August (on Royal Caribbean FOS) My daughter will be 18 but my husbands daughter will only be 13. We are not taking a letter since we needed a notorized letter from her mother in order to get her a passport! Seems silly to need to take a letter since they know you needed that same information to get the passport.

I sure hope you don't need both since it was like getting ice from the devil just to get the first letter!

my friend was traveling on RC i believe it was, and they denied her boarding because she did not have the letter. Fortunately, she was able to contact her ex, get the letter signed, notarized and faxed to them.

They were not budging on it....and that was just to get on the ship. It seems like they have different rules at different times. yes, I realize this is CCL not RC, but one would hate to be stuck at the pier watching their ship leave....especially if you can obtain the letter.

I took my daughter on a short Carnival cruise out of Los Angeles in 2008. Carnival check in people not only asked for it, but asked my daughter (10 at the time) if Mommie knew she was on the cruise. Of course all the correct answers, so no problem.

I took my daughter on a short Carnival cruise out of Los Angeles in 2008. Carnival check in people not only asked for it, but asked my daughter (10 at the time) if Mommie knew she was on the cruise. Of course all the correct answers, so no problem.

I bet they asked you because you were a man boarding alone with a 10 y/o girl.(would raise my eyebrow as well) There is nothing wrong with that, but it does look more suspicious with a single dad and a daughter than it does with a mom and daughter.

My daughter had the letter to travel with her oldest (13) from her first marriage this past Feb. She had to show the letter from the father when she checked in. It was a notarized letter. This was on Carnival.

You may or may not be asked for it. But I would have one just to be safe. I would hate to know you could not board because if it. Also, if something were to happen in port, even with a passport you may have problems.

I have a son from a previous marriage and I have been reading here about a type of permission letter?

Do I really need this?

He will have his passport and Father gave permission for that.

If I do need such a letter, does it have to be notarized? Does it have to say basically its ok for my son to go on this cruise or does he have to say its ok to go into every single port and name each by name?

I wouldn't take the chance. You just need one notarized letter saying you can take your son on the cruise and out of the country.

Better safe than sorry!

I just got off the Triumph on Monday. I checked in with my DD age 7, my mom and a male friend of mine. They thought my daughter was his so no one questioned the need for my signed notarized letter which I brought with me. As we went through Customs back into the US the officer browsed the letter and waived us through.

Personally I would never ever consider traveling outside of the US without a signed notarized letter and mine is not easy to get either becase the risk is too great. Whatever you decide do, have a great trip!

We have taken my son and step daughter on three cruises. We have passports for them, and we have a notorized letter from the other parent. They have never asked us to see the letter. But I am not taking the chance to be to far off and we can't get on board because of a simple letter. I would take it anyways to be on the safe side, It can't hurt anything. I am sure if he gave you permission for a passport he would sign another letter.

The day you don't have the necessary documents is probably the day you will be denied boarding, no matter how many previous cruises you've never been asked. I saw it happen on a HAL cruise from FLL. It's very sad. Forgetting cruises, but if you fly into Mexico, Passports are required, and the notarized parent permission letter is absolutely essential!

He will not say no to give me the letter so I don't have to worry about that. I'm just glad I found out here that I should get it! I just emailed him something to print and get signed and notarized.

For the passport it took him 2 months to get me that darn letter back so I just hope its not the same this time. He knows we are going and is happy about it he just procrastinates so much.

Archived