Carnival Corp. does care... Man Overboard on Rotterdam???

Salty Dawg

Please see the post on the Holland America board regarding a CC member & how Holland responded to the tragic situation.

I have the utmost respect for the cruise line's response to the unfortunate event & to the victim's son for taking the time to appraise all of us of the caring attention provided to his grieving family.

My name is Jason. My dad, Walter was the individual that went overboard on the 26th off of the Rotterdam. Dad was a very strong individual that lived life to it's fullest. He had become progressively more ill and knew that there was little he could do to change it.

My mom, Judy, met many wonderful people aboard ship, both before and after the incident. She was humbled by the number of cruise critics and others that attended the memorial on the morning of the 27th.

The ship and it's personnel became her guardian angels. She would like to personally thank each and every crew member that assisted her in her time of need. Holland America went above and beyond the call of duty in taking care of both her and my wife and I.

You see, shortly after I received the call from my mom via the ship's satellite phone, I received a call from the Holland America Care Team. They asked me if I was willing to meet my mom in Costa Rica. They told me that they would pay for my flight and accomodations and we would be flying out the next morning. After we arrived in Costa Rica, we met up with Mom and the Care Team. The Care Team were invaluable guides for us in Costa Rica as we underwent the long, arduous process of working our way through the government beaurocracy that stood between us and getting dad home.

It took us 5 days and they were our ever present friends and guides. They were our moral and physical support. They helped us figure out how to get dad from the mortuary to the funeral home, how to get his body cremated, how to prepare the required embassy paperwork, arranged transportation, meals and lodging for the entire ordeal. They cried with us and laughed with us. They are our heroes.

I would like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, Holland America and the Care Team. Without them, we would have spent thousands trying to get mom and dad home, and would likely still be in Costa Rica, working our way through a third world bureaucracy where few people speak English. They went above and beyond the call of duty and I will remember them and their generosity forever.

Thank You,

Jason and Family

First my sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your loved one. Second...what an impressive and kind response from the cruise line. They certainly showed respect for their passengers.

First my sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your loved one. Second...what an impressive and kind response from the cruise line. They certainly showed respect for their passengers.

We do not know the family involved & were not on the cruise where the tragic incident occurred but I was touched but the story when I read of the events here on Cruise Critic.

Our thoughts & prayers go out to Jason & his family during this difficult time.

Thanks for sharing this Ken 'n Nancy.

It is nice to see the compassionate side of what is after all, a business.

We sailed with you on Mercury in '06 when we were newbies and you were so kind to answer our endless questions. Hope all is well and we meet up again!

Marlee and Rich

We had no idea that this was Jason's father. I am so impressed that HAL took the great care of him & his family at this very trying event. Carnival is not big in my book but this si a major point for them as HAL's owner.

To Jason, Jerry & Brenda both give our a hug maybe seven, when you need them. But now you have a personal guardian angel as I do with my mom who passed away from heat failure as a diabetic. You may laugh, but you will see what I am talking about as he will show in fun ways. Toilet flushing in the middle of the night is the best.

Archived