Oceanview vs. Balcony

signora

I know some people think this is a no-brainer but I need to finally realize I prefer the cozy wrapped-in-a-cocoon feeling of an oceanview. In fact, I'm insecure and nervous on a balcony since I have a touch of vertigo. Any other oceanviewers out there?

I know some people think this is a no-brainer but I need to finally realize I prefer the cozy wrapped-in-a-cocoon feeling of an oceanview. In fact, I'm insecure and nervous on a balcony since I have a touch of vertigo. Any other oceanviewers out there?

You know I have the same problem with vertigo, but will take a balcony any time over a window.

An ocean view is fine and we're geneally not willing to pay the extra for a balcony. The cabins are the same and the view from the ocean view window is usually fine. We've had balconies twice, but these were both upsells for a good price. We have a balcony on our upcoming 6-day repo because the price was very good. Besides the extra price, we also don't want to chance getting a balcony and having smokers on one or both sides. We've lucked out on that both previous times and hope to this time.

We are booked in an outside next month on the Ryndam. Last cruise was a balcony. We are having a bit of buyers remorse, only because we are traveling 3 generations in a cabin, and Mom and I get up earlier than Gram. We could have sat out and talked in the morning... Instead we will go up to a deck and have some coffee. There are definite benefits to the outside, in having more spending money for the cruise :)

I absolutely would love having a balcony. We have had three of them, on three different lines. We have never been able to enjoy one, however. It's not worth the extra money if you cannot enjoy it. (Smokers, loud people, door slammers, loud perfume).

Next cruise is with Azamara, and we shall see if a balcony is worth it; one more chance. I love watching the ocean, hearing the ocean, watching the wildlife, smelling the ocean. But, all we get to smell is perfume and tobacco products.

All we get to hear is loud cellphone conversations, family "discussions", sometimes family fights, complete with (it sounds like) furniture throwing, door slamming, crying fits. Oh wait, most of that was that one cruise with Carnival.

We have decided that HAL is our favorite line so far. But, we will book an ocean view from now on, until the smoking problem is addressed. Why spend thousands more for a balcony that one cannot use?

JMHO!

After having booked a veranda room I would never book a oceanview cabin again. Last cruise we had an stern cabin (some people call them aft cabins) and that has been my favorite so far. Much larger veranda and lounge chairs. It was heaven. There was a slight vibration sometimes and maybe a little more movement but it never bothered us at all. I think the veranda makes all the difference in the world.

oh my. I can definitely do without furniture-throwing, But does anyone know what I mean about the snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug feeling in an outside? And the feeling of going overboard in a balcony?

oh my. I can definitely do without furniture-throwing, But does anyone know what I mean about the snug-as-a-bug-in-a-rug feeling in an outside? And the feeling of going overboard in a balcony?

Sure I know exactly what you mean by the "going overboard" feeling. But I still have to have a balcony. Nothing beats sitting out there, having breakfast watching the waves, or pulling into port. :D

I'm not a huge fan of balconies. I understand that feeling of insecurity.

We have had balconies and I enjoy them if I stay well back. I prefer the "ride" lower down on Main or Dolphin decks and I enjoy having more money to spend either in port or on another cruise.

DH would rather not cruise if we can't get a balcony. Cruise before last we locked ourselves out of our room and we were on the balcony. It took a few hours because it was a sea day and NOT one person was smoking or fighting or whatever on their balcony it was just us.

Archived