Bus ride to Mahahual

w8ing2cruz

Can anyone give a quick review of their experience? I've read lots and lots of threads about resorts along the malecon but just can't decide where to 'park'. This will be our last stop on our cruise and we have only a short day in port so we'd just like to find a great place on the beach with good food and beverages. I've read that you should not get off at the first stop - would that be the Tequila Beach Club? But rather stay on and go all the way to 40 Cannons? What about places in between. I can't find any sort of map showing the different bars and what they offer.

Will there be snorkel boats available if one wants to head out for 1/2 or so?

Help - can you tell I can't figure out where to go?

The bus ride is very easy, just go through the port area around the pool and you will see the stand for bus tickets. We rode a large bus into town- very short trip, maybe 5 minutes, if that. The first stop was Tequila Beach, then it stopped again, and the final stop was Pez Quadro (but they call it 40 Cannons). Probably the biggest confusion for us was when to get off the bus- but now you will know.

There was an attentive waiter, quick food and drinks, and the most beautiful water and beach I have ever been too. They did appear to have some excursions from the club, but we did not do any. I know that I saw jet skis, and a boat taking people out on the water.

You can easily just walk up and down the malecon. It is not very long, at most maybe a mile? Lots of friendly people and you will get offered many massages!

Have a great time!

... then it stopped again, and the final stop was Pez Quadro (but they call it 40 Cannons).

The bar is Pez Quadro. 40 Canones is the hotel behind the bar.

We usually get off at the first stop past Tequila Beach and walk the length of the malecon.

As SunCruiser said, it is not too long and is entertaining. There are many little vendor stands, massage options, and restaurants/bars along the way.

We stop and look at menus and pick our spot to spend the day. The last two times have been at the El Delphin -- whole fried fish for two, cervezas and margaritas under an umbrella on the beach -- can't wait to get back.

Again, as SunCruiser says, have fun. Prices for food and drink are cheaper in the village that at the port. Drinks in the port are cheaper than on the ship.

That is just the advice I've been looking for - and a great plan!!! We'll get off at the second (middle) stop, take a leisurely stroll towards 40 Cannons and see what trips our trigger. Thanks a bunch for the replies!!

Is there a cost for the bus or is that free? I have seen mention of the cost to take a cab to town and was just wondering what the difference was?

Also, is there a charge for the palapas and chairs or is that just complimentary with the purchase of food and/or drinks?

We will be going in May and I am thinking that this sounds like a perfect day for us. :D

This is our first time to Costa Maya, so we were not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice!

Just got back. We walked just a bit farther out than the buses stop to the cab stand. It was $2 out there and $2-3 per person back (depending on who you ask) Readily available. No waiting for the buses to fill up. Your own cab.

Yes, the beach loungers/tables/chairs are free at many locations along the beach if you eat/drink. Massages are typically $20 per hour or $10 for 1/2 hour. I got mine and DH for $15/hr then tipped. We got ours just in front of the Delphin Hotel.

Archived