Kobe Japan Info?

Kerri Beth

In order to be able to respond to your question, please post the amount of time you will be in Kobe and your interests.

Assuming that you have the time and recognizing that it can be a 2 hour drive each way), you should use the stay in Kobe as a jumping off place for Kyoto and Nara.

We fly into Osaka on the 20th of April. Looking around for a home base before leaving on our cruise on the 23rd. Do not know if we should stay in Kobe or Osaka or Kyoto area. We plan on traveling around to those 3 areas and seeing the country. Trying to locate a hotel now....? Want to do as much as possible with the little time we have, Thank you, Any help would be much appreciated! Kerri

Hi Kerri--

Looks like you have the 21st, 22nd, and maybe part of the 23rd (I am discounting the 20th as you will need it to get over jet lag).

Assuming that you have an interest in history, culture, art, etc., my personal suggestion is to spend your time for two full days in Kyoto and Nara. Nara was the eight century capital and Kyoto was the ninth through sixteenth century capital. There is a stunning array of temples, shrines, monasteries in Kyoto and several Buddhist temples of great note in Nara. It was the only area off limits to US military attacks during world war two because of the cultural heritage there.

In Kyoto, I most recommend Nijo-jo (Nijo Castle) with the "nightingale" floors and some of the most stunning screens you could ever see. (I would personally pass on the Golden Pavilion.) At the moment, I can't recall the names of the others but will try to check later. There is also a shop that sells magnificent antique kimonos and much other Japanese traditional art work. If time and interest permit, kibuki theater developed in Kyoto and can be a wonderful experience (look for the comedies as they need little translation). One of the old geisha areas remains, but is fairly touristy now, Ponto-Cho. (Don't bother with the geisha shows.)

The only hotel I know in Kyoto is the Okura. Very very nice, well located downtown near good shopping. Get a high floor for beautiful views. Almost no American tourists at this hotel. The hotel's restaurant, while a bit pricey, has excellent tempura. Take your phrase book with you (as not all in the restaurant speak any English, especially late in the evening). I do not know of any hotels in Kobe.

Nara (about 90 minutes from Kyoto given traffic) has a wonderful park surrounding the Buddhist temple. The temple is worth several hours. In the park are tame deer (traditionally, the messenger of the gods and, therefore, protected) and you can buy rice cakes to feed them. They do know how to get into pockets. Hold the rice cake up and they will bow for you before you feed them.

There is really not much in Kobe itself.

Osaka, on the other side of the bay from Kobe, has the very interesting Osaka Castle, but it is not as interesting as Himeji-jo. There is a ferry service from Kobe to Osaka, as well as trains that go around the bay. Near the Osaka ferry terminal is a great aquarium and Osaka castle is not too far away. If you are interested in these things, it might not be bad to spend the first night in Osaka, see those things the next morning and then leave for Kyoto or Himeji (see below) around noon. Frankly, however, I would pass on Osaka and just leave for Kyoto when you arrive. Sorry that I cannot help with hotels in either Kobe or Osaka.

The best castle, however, is about a 45 minute bullet train ride from Kobe in the town of Himeji on the Western Japanese Railway. Thus, the castle is Himeji-jo. If you decide to stay one night in Osaka or Kobe, you could take a morning bullet train to Himeji, then taxi from train station to castle and back. The castle is exceptional and the views are stunning. Look for the "fish tails" at the end of the gables on the roof lines. You might want to stay the first night in Kobe, then early the next day (21st) to Himeji for a few hours and then from there either back to Kobe or through Kobe to Kyoto (get a good map to see what I mean). An alternative to this is to spend the 21st and 22nd in Kyoto/Nara and then use the morning of the 23rd for Himeji, returning to Kobe for your cruise.

Suggest that you check out Insight Guides for Japan - this is the one I have found most useful. Also try Foddors and Frommers.

A couple of other things -- (1) Japan is very pricy today and the dollar is very weak, plan accordingly; (2) Japan rarely uses credit cards except in big hotels, etc., take cash with you unless you have prepaid for things; (3) take travellers checks and exchange them at banks (there will be one in the airport in Osaka); (4) take lots of film or lots of digital memory chips; (5) Japan is a more formal country than US, dress accordingly (men should wear coat and tie to good restaurants); shorts, tank tops, etc., not appropriate in shrines, castles, temples.

You can get guide service through JNTB (?) the Japanese National Tourist Bureau. I would at least recommend it strongly for the time in Kyoto and Nara as a good guide and car will really help to see, learn, and get around. It has an English language web site and an office in New York. This will be fairly expensive, but you should still look into it - it should include both guide and car (actually taxi and driver). Public transit within Kyoto (or within any city other than Tokyo) is a non-starter unless you have the time and speak the language. JNTB might be able to help you put together a whole package. (If you like, I can give you the name of the delightful guide we had for Kyoto and Nara).

You may also think about posting a request for information (ie, start a thread) on the message board for the cruise line you are going on to see what other cruisers there would have to say. You might actually do that on several cruise lines as I have seen it prompt some very helpful responses.

Well, that's a start. Hope that this is somewhat of a help and a starting place for your thinking and planning. If you provide other specifics on your interests, perhaps I can be of more help.

Hi Kerri - Sounds like you are on our Sapphire Princess cruise embarking in Osaka on April 23. Come on over to our Roll Call and say hello and share your plans. We have as active Roll Call and you might be able to plan with another PAX ....GotToCruise (aka Renee)

You might also look into the Japanese Good Will guides. We have used their services in Kobe (Himeji Castle), Osaka and Kyoto. We did use public transportation but since we were with the guide they took care of arranging it. Their services are free and all you pay for is the transportation for you and them and any food. They do it to practice English and to show off their country. It is a wonderful and charming way to see the sights.

I believe you can reach them also thru the National Tourist Bureau or find them on Google. Each area has their own group of volunteers. We highly recommend them andi t is very economical. A word on money - ATM's are really hard to find in Japan. They can be found frequently in the post office. I know there is one in Kobe in the main shopping area.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I was in Osaka and Kyoto several times. Kyoto is a very interesting city. The temples and the history is great. The Golden Plaace is nice and it is beautiful from the other side of the lake. The Nijo castle is a good place to go like previous poster. My least favorite was Osaka Castle. It was too modern inside. Great views though. There are many temples in Kyoto.

One nght it might be fun to go to Namba station in Osaka and walk around all the shops. Nanba is like Times Square with the neon lights and large buildings. There is always something going on there on the weekend. Just stay in the main streets not the alleys. We always liked walking around after going down to Hard Rock Cafe there. Many places to eat, shop and have a drink.

I have always felt safe in Japan. Be prepared if you decide to go to a KOBE beef resturant. It is very expensive. Where we at was a small place with the best pumpkin soup and the beef was great. About $125 per person. That was about 4 years ago.

Enjoy the trip.

Archived