Embarking in stages

jerblu

Istanbul April 7- I understand that we will be able to board the ship at about 3PM. But what about luggage? Could I taxi from my hotel and drop off my luggage with the ship early in the morning? I believe the ship will be docking pretty early. I'd like to be able to get rid of luggage and do some sightseeing around Istanbul.

You will find you will more than likely, be able to board from 12.

I'm not sure about the Spirit's process, but on the other 4 boarding from 12 was never a problem.

They just don't advertise it.

In Istanbul, there is a good chance that the ship's staff will take care of your luggage -- though you will be more welcome if you show up after 10, when the departing guests have gone. But it would be wise to check with the port agent using the contact details supplied with your tickets, in case there is some local regulation that would cause a problem. Unlikely in Turkey, but worth checking. Or consider leaving your bags at your hotel, if it's not too far from the port. That's what we usually do, but we tend to choose a hotel near the port.

Thanks. I had been planning to make a virtue of necessity: a late embarkation meant more time in Istanbul. My hotel is in Sultanahmet, not terribly distant from the port, but it would be a lot easier if I could drop the bags (10am would be fine) and then do my sightseeing and have a nice lunch in the area. Perhaps best would be to call the Port Agent the day before and make plans then.

If you will be spending the day in Sultanahmet, where your hotel is, don't waste your time in the morning traffic going to the port and coming back. It can be murder getting across the bridges, especially on a weekday. Leave your bags at the hotel and go back to get them before setting off for the port. As you probably know, the Sultanahmet district is easy to walk around and most of the sites/sights are there. Distances are not far. (You are also much less likely to be ripped off by a taxi driver who picks you up at a hotel.)

I"ll have two days of Sultanahmet before the day of embarking, and I will be taking a car service with a good reputation from the hotel, so I'll leave the worry about the driving to them.

Archived