Do I have to worry about sharks in the water?

I wouldn't want to say don't worry about it and then you come back minus one of the kids but I don't worry about it.

The only time I ever saw a shark, I didnt, but I heard about it and saw everyone running out of the water. But that was pre-cruise at South Beach in Miami.

I have been snorkeling and swimming in the caribbean for over 20 years. In that time I have seen exactly ONE shark. It looked at me, realized I was not a fish (which is what sharks eat) and took off.

We just got done scuba diving on our cruise. Yes there are sharks, but...they tend to hang out at the bottom of the reefs 40-60 ft down where scuba divers are not with snorkelers. (we saw three and have the pictures to prove it).They are not really interested in people - there are too many fish around! We swam close to them and they swam away. Now, some of the parrotfish weren't excited about us interrupting their meal on the coral, but they still swam away when we got close.

My husband did a dive trip in the Bahamas and said there were lots there- in the Exuma and Elethura islands areas. Again they were diving not snorkeling.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey "Are we there yet", you are a mother after my own heart. My husband has been laughing at me because I am so freaked at the thought of my 6 and 9 yr olds being out there with fish that can seriously hurt them... or worse.

I think it's our job to worry about this stuff. If not us... it certainly wouldn't be the macho dad's. I wish I could say my mind is at ease, it's not, but I will still take them snorkeling and PRAY! Then I will just breath a sigh of relief and let my husband say "I told you so" when were at dinner later that night.

It's an experience that I just can't let them not have.

Becky

GaMomBB, thanks so much for your response! LOL Your dh sounds just like mine........I too will get the "I told you so", when hopefully they come back in with all their body parts.:D My kids are ages 13-16-18 and 20, and I still worry about everything.....guess it's something all Mothers never grow out of.

Good luck with your snorkeling expedition, and have a wonderful time!! :)

Are we there yet....

You have a great time too:). I'm just glad to know I'm not alone in my anxiety over this kind of thing. The rational mind say's "You are more likely to die in a traffic accident 1 mile from home than.... yada yada yada....".

Who ever said we needed to be rational??? :rolleyes:

Becky

This may seem silly...but I read in a book not too long ago to never wear jewlery into "shark waters". Any light reflecting off the metal may cause the shark to mistake a human for a "fish dinner"!

May not be true...but I'd rather not take the chance.

Deb

Flinstone, thanks for the tip! I just called my oldest daughter over and looked at all the jewellery she has on........good grief, they would have a field day with her!!!! lol;) Will definately make her take it all off just in case.

GaMomBB, I tell my kids when they say I am being too paranoid that I am probably the reason they all lived so long!!!:D;)

I will certainly take the advice about the jewelry... THANKS! Also, you all most certainly have heard this at some point I'm sure... but I've heard they are attracted to the smell of blood so all cuts should be bandaged tightly.

My husband mentioned also that the Great White sharks like cooler water so we shouldn't be seeing any of them. PHEWW... sure does make me feel better...NOT... little sharks have teeth too don't they? LOL

Seriously, I'm sure we will all be fine but somehow taking precautions just makes me feel a little more in control. ;)

1. Actually it's barracuda who are attracted by flashy jewellry etc (and although they are toothy looking they are no threat to humans). Sharks are attracted by scaley looking bathing suits (my dh once snorkeled in an area frequented by sharks with a woman in a bathing suit that had a "scaley" look that exactly resembled fish scales. Several sharks swam over for a look but took off when they realized she wasn't some new type of fish. Afterwards she said that bathing suit would be reserved for sunbathing only.)

2. Blood in the water - actually unless you bleed fish blood this is not much of an issue. Sharks are HIGHLY attracted to FISH blood but not especially to human blood. This is why you should NEVER swim near spear fishermen or where fishermen are bringing in bloody catch. (The last shark attack I read about in Florida occured when a boy was swimming right next to some surf fishermen.)

3. Worst place to swim: murky churned up water with bleeding fish

Archived