So, we get off the ship with 4 kids (age 13 to 20) then.......

Just take a taxi to Orient. There will not be any lines for parasail, jet ski, trampoline, wind surfing, etc. The longest line will be something you draw in the sand with your toe.

I just wondering about "Orient Beach?" Is it all nude or only certain sections? I have 2 -10 year old girls who would be mordified if they saw naked people standing in front of them. And you mentioned trampolines? Are they available to everyone at the beach?- Thanks

We just arrived home from the Southern Caribbean last night. I read your post and thought I should write. I would definitely not take any children to the "Orient Beach". Although there is a sign posted indicating that one direction was a "nude" beach and the other direction was not a "nude" beach it was all the same. Not only were there topless sunbathers, there was full nudity on the beach both male and female where there wasn't suppose to be nudity. It would be hard not to miss these nude sunbathers as they walk along the beach, swim in the water and position themselves all over both beaches. It seems to me that these people ought to at least stay in the designated areas for nudity. There are some of us who do not care to see this type of exposure!

It seems to me that these people ought to at least stay in the designated areas for nudity. There are some of us who do not care to see this type of exposure!

I'm not aware of any sign or rule which limits where a person must stay at Orient. In you need to avoid seeing the human body it would be highly appropriate to stay on the boat or NOT go to any St. Maarten beaches. Topless sunbathing is common throughout St. Maarten. Nudity can occur at many other beaches.

I agree with Kal on this one - if nudity offends you that much - you should stay on the ship. Toplessness is very common (ALL BEACHES) and on a couple of beaches (NOT just Orient) you may see completely nude people.

For QLOTP:

Re: Orient Beach - MOST nude people will be at the extreme south end of the beach at Club Orient (a naturist resort). Nude people occasionally walk on the rest of the beach - so you could see nude people anywhere on the beach. However the VAST majority of people on Orient Beach will be wearing bathing suits. There will be any number of children on the beach ignoring the occasional nude person and having a good time. The last time I was there we were seated next to a family with a number of small children none of whom were traumatized when the occasional nude person walked by. Basically if you bring your kids, prepare them for the fact that they may see nude people and tell them that it's rude to stare. If you don't over-react they won't. Most kids who are unaccustomed to nudity will gawk at the first nude person or two who walks by and then lose interest. Re: trampolines - available to anyone who pays the fee.

I'm with Kal and Zeno - Orient Beach is considered to be "clothing optional" the entire length (about 1 1/2 miles). The majority of nude folks will be at the south end at Club Orient, however you will see folks wearing little or nothing all along the beach, including some prime spots like CoCo Beach Bar and now even at Mount Vernon. There is a sign identifying the Club Orient area, but I have not seen one that indicated the remainder of the beach was non-nude (I'll check it out in two weeks). Cruise line excursion descriptions normally include a disclaimer about Orient Beach being clothing optional. Remember that you are visiting another country and it would be best to resist applying U.S. standards and rules. Of course topless ladies will be found throughout the Orient Beach area (and elsewhere), including in some eating and shopping establishments.

Thank you all for the replies! We live in Ontario where women are allowed to walk around topless whenever they so wish (not that they do! lol) so nudity is not really an issue. I've just told my kids not to look if it bothers them.

Will there be plenty of taxis to take everyone back to the ship btw? The thought of missing the ship scares me more than the nudity.

Archived