Foreign currency exchange rate/fee, Fortuna Caribbean sailing?

Middleager

We'll be on the Fortuna Mar. 14 sailing. We're from Canada, and will be using a Canadian credit card for the onboard charges.

There was some discussions about the charges being put through, but don't remember the details.

Can someone comment on whether they put through the charges in US dollars, for the home port of Fort Lauderdale to Caribbean sailing? Or is it put through in the equivalent in Italian (or other) currency?

For Amex card, if it's not in US currency, they convert to US first (using their horrible exchange rate), then convert from US to Cad (using their other horrible exchange rate), and then the 2.5% fee (I think) for doing foreign exchange. So I'm wondering how bad the hit could be. If they put the charge through in non-US currency, I'll need to use a MC (that earns less points) instead of Amex.

Thanks.

I don't like to carry a lot of US cash (or any cash). So for the convenience of carry just CC, I would pay for the 2.5% currency exchange fee. But if Costa doesn't charge US currency, then I won't use Amex, and use a MC that earns less points.

Archived