Belize City Walk

Hobbins

With contradictory stories and opinions of safety in Belize City, I was wondering if someone who has actually walked from the Tourist Village to the Swing Bridge and town area could describe their experience. Were there beggars, shifty eyed crack heads, gangs of kids, corrupt police, mermaids, elephants, what? What's it like to walk to the town?

Has enyone considered it and changed their mind? Is there really danger or just fear?

With contradictory stories and opinions of safety in Belize City, I was wondering if someone who has actually walked from the Tourist Village to the Swing Bridge and town area could describe their experience. Were there beggars, shifty eyed crack heads, gangs of kids, corrupt police, mermaids, elephants, what? What's it like to walk to the town?

Has enyone considered it and changed their mind? Is there really danger or just fear?

Yes.. My SIL and I went walking along the route fromt he Tourist Village, over the swing bridge, down Regents Street to the St John's Church and the cultural center across the street (which you can see from the tender as you head into the pier). And then back across the swing Bridge over to Cook Street and Fort Street (various embassys are located here as are some good hotels) and down the road to the light house and back to the Tourist Village. The most "threatening" area was right outside the Tourist Village where you are accosted by the various vendors of tours and horse carriage rides. But they disappear by the time you reach Hungry Howies or what ever the sandwich place is call and long before you get the the swing bridge. Beyond that, the most threatening thing is the sign on the pharamacy across the stret from the swing bridge. Coming back long Queen Street watch for traffic but by coming back to the Tourist Village from the lighthouse, the vendors are looking at you at all.

Most of the walk, we were the only ones on the street. Belizeans ignore you, unless you stop them to ask something, and they are very helpful. They are friendly when you look at them eye to eye smile and say hello. For the most part the walk is like walking down any small town. Nothing really exciting. Do visit the cultural center (used to be the Governors House)you can learn a lot about Belize's British history there.

Use this map to help guide you.

http://www.slickrock.com/belizemaps.html

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sound like too many people opt for the walking since you were mostly the only ones doing that. I'm glad to hear it was not as bad as some would imply.

If anyone else has another view or opinion please share.

Thanks for the link to the map, Crewsweeper ....very detailed city map!!

I'm wanting to visit a business in town while we're there, and am undecided whether we'll walk or take a cab - it appears to be about "8 blocks" from the tourist village, but one never knows how large or small a "block" is...The business is near the University, so I would imagine going in that area of town during the day wouldn't be a problem, and there will be at least two of us making the trek.

Thanks for the link to the map, Crewsweeper ....very detailed city map!!

I'm wanting to visit a business in town while we're there, and am undecided whether we'll walk or take a cab - it appears to be about "8 blocks" from the tourist village, but one never knows how large or small a "block" is...The business is near the University, so I would imagine going in that area of town during the day wouldn't be a problem, and there will be at least two of us making the trek.

HoHo...I haven't been north or west of the canals. I thought the University was in Belmopan, not Belize City. I suggest you get some detailed directions from the business you want to go to. And grab a cab if its hot and muggy. Enjoy your cruise...a Med cruise or WestPac, it ain't:)--ex scope dope.

Looks like all encouraging info so far. Thanks.

Does anyone know what a taxi to town costs? I read they can be negotiated to about 3 or 4 $ US, but ask much more initially.

Hobbins, you're in town. Tourist Village is where the cruise ship tenders dock. It's on the north area of Belize City. Look at the map in the post above. But most places you'll walk to aren't that far away, the furthest would be the St John's church, about a 20 minute walk at strolling pace. I'm sure you can grab a cab to any point you want to go to.

Archived