What is self assist debarkation?

shirleyky

Don't forget having to negotiate your luggage through a herd of fellow passengers, who don't have the patience to be knocked in the ankle by your luggage as you try to carry it all by yourself as the line to get off snakes around the main lounge and sometimes up the stairs.

The big advantage to me has always been, not having to leave my luggage out in the hallway by midnite the night before. I hate that. I always approach the main lobby (embarkation point) from a different direction and avoid the "stairway sitters".

I take two wheeled pieces of luggage. One nests right on top the other and wheeling my goodies off the ship is easy.

We love it.

The first cruise we were on that it was offered some friends did it but we didn't. By the time we gathered our luggage and got through customs they were 150 miles away from Galveston.

I used to get hung up in the whole stay on as long as possible thing but not anymore. For me, the moment the ship reaches the dock, my cruise is over.

It's somebody else's cruise now and I want to get off the ship asap.

We were on Freedom 2 weeks ago. Went onto ship saying that we were carrying our luggage off ourself to get to the airport early (had 11:30am flight). One night they put a form in our room for them to print our boarding passes and check luggage at airport for us -- For $20 per person (plus whatever fees your airline charges for checked bags --JetBlue doesnt charge for 1st checked bag so we only paid the Carnival$40).

We got our boarding passes delivered to our room the day before cruise was over with luggage tags -- placed bags out night before and didn't see them again until we got back to JFK. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!

We are taking Victory out of San Juan next February -- I hope they do it on that ship too!!

We were on Freedom 2 weeks ago. Went onto ship saying that we were carrying our luggage off ourself to get to the airport early (had 11:30am flight). One night they put a form in our room for them to print our boarding passes and check luggage at airport for us -- For $20 per person (plus whatever fees your airline charges for checked bags --JetBlue doesnt charge for 1st checked bag so we only paid the Carnival$40).

We got our boarding passes delivered to our room the day before cruise was over with luggage tags -- placed bags out night before and didn't see them again until we got back to JFK. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!

We are taking Victory out of San Juan next February -- I hope they do it on that ship too!!

It was offered on the Destiny this past weekend so I'm glad to hear it'll be offered when we go on the Freedom in August. It's well worth the money not to hassle with your luggage until you're off the plane at your home airport.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

If you do the self assist debarkation, when do you get off the ship? Do you go to a certain area and wait for a group to be called?

Platinum VIP go first, Then early flights go next, then you are called by decks. But some people will just go. We are vip, so we are off first, but I've heard some stories of cutting in line and pushing. Also some people carry so much that they really have a hard time and that messes up everyone else. Lynda

After reading everyone's replies, I think it is becoming a little more clear to me. So, if you do self assist debarkation, you would just wait in a certain area with other passengers until your deck is called.

Would the only advantage of self assist debarkation be that you already have your luggage and don't have to search through the hundreds of pieces of luggage to find yours?

After reading everyone's replies, I think it is becoming a little more clear to me. So, if you do self assist debarkation, you would just wait in a certain area with other passengers until your deck is called.

Would the only advantage of self assist debarkation be that you already have your luggage and don't have to search through the hundreds of pieces of luggage to find yours?

If you self-disembark from the ship, then as soon as customs clears the ship to have passengers leave, the call goes out for VIP's, early flights and self-disembark. On our recent Destiny cruise, my daughter and I were off the ship and in a cab to the airport (not early flight) by 7:50AM. They called self-disembark at 7:20am, and we proceeded from the Lido Deck (were in the midst of breakfast!) to the main deck.

We are just about to sail on the Miracle on Friday, and we plan on self-embarking and self-disembarking. It makes life so much easier.

Remember though, Carnival offers absolutely no assistance with either process, and you (and your travel partner(s)) must be able to handle all of your luggage on your own in a timely manner.

Happy Sailing!

We did it last cruise and were off the ship, already checked in and had gone through security at the Miami airport and were getting breakfast by 8:45am.

You bascially have the just of it. Self debarkation, you carry everything off yourself.

No self debark, you get off the ship and have to plunder through pandora's box to find your bags.

The big advantage to me has always been, not having to leave my luggage out in the hallway by midnite the night before. I hate that. I always approach the main lobby (embarkation point) from a different direction and avoid the "stairway sitters".

I take two wheeled pieces of luggage. One nests right on top the other and wheeling my goodies off the ship is easy.

We just did self assist this past week on Destiny and loved it!

I agree, not having to put your bags out by midnight is great. It doesn't make the last night as depressing.

We had no trouble getting an elevator, and walked right off. Couldn't have been easier.

Archived